What time standard do you set your clocks by?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by gleber, Sep 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just curious... I use www.time.gov. Is there any more science to it than that?

Tom

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

tom -

i had nothing but problems using time.gov and have switched to https://time.is/just

really easy to see, always up...

3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just pull up the clock/calendar in Windows 10. :whistle: I just checked it against the link provided by Bruce and it's exactly the same.

Kurt

4. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User

Jan 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for posting that, always nice to have another reference, I've bookmarked. I've always used one of the clock apps on my phone, I can walk around the house with it while I'm setting each clock. It looks the same down to the second but probably not as good if you go smaller. But I'm happy if I can set them within 5 seconds, my eyes just aren't that good ;)

5. TJ Cornish

TJ Cornish Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 12, 2013
    St. Paul, MN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm happy if I can set my clocks within the right minute. Someday I hope to own a precision regulator where I can attempt to keep a clock within a second or two of the time standard, but I'm far from that at the moment. :)

6. Tim Orr

Tim Orr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening, all!

I have quite a few of these "radio controlled" clocks that I have picked up for next to nothing in thrift stores. They sync once a day to WWVB. I note that they track to each other very well, especially the ones with digital displays.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

7. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just use my mobile phone when I wind them all on every Sunday.

8. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Friday's for me, I use either my chromebook or my mobile. Most of them are usually dead on and don't need changing, some of the longcase are more accurate than my rolex, I appreciate that gravity is rather easier to deal with than a spring and the clocks are all stationary not constantly on the move but for 300 year old clocks that still isn't bad going.

9. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for this link, I've always used time.gov but it does have it's problems sometimes.
    For some reason I like my Railroad watches to be set to the second,
    and they do stay accurate even when carried. I have a habit of
    checking in the morning when checking email and I wind my watch, just takes a second.

Rob

10. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes it is isn't bad going at all. I picked Sunday as that means it dovetails with putting the clocks back and forward. As long as mine are no more than a minute or so out I never bother trying to adjust them further or worry about it.

11. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Retired General Dentist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #11 Time After Time, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Usually my Citizen Eco-Drive Quartz Watch. Just checked it against the Time.gov site and it was only off by 30 seconds. I haven't synchronized the watch in months. Sometimes I regulate to an internet connected/synced device (i-Touch or i-Pad).

P.S. Guess I'm becoming an "antique" too. :chuckling:

12. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime rod sets for antique clocks - please inquire
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cellphone or computer clock usually acts as a standard for me.

13. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use my wristwatch, which is set to WWV, which is THE time standard for the U.S.A. 303-499-7111 will get you to it; it's in Ft. Collins, Colorado. Wherever you are in North America, you'll be within 60 milliseconds of dead on time calling that number. You can also get time reference broadcasts on internationally allocated frequencies of 5, 10, 15, and 20MHz if you have a shortwave receiver. There are transmitters worldwide that use those frequencies (or within a few kilocycles) for broadcasting the standard time. That way you aren't dependent on the "dependability" of Internet propagation.

Glen

14. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Four analog atomic clocks in my shop, one at each work area, always within one second. Smart phone on service calls. I don't have a seconds app, so I round up 30 seconds from what the phone says, plenty close enough. I use a moon phase app, never have to guess at the moon phase, although most customers couldn't care less about the moon's phase. Ha
    Willie X

15. mldenison

mldenison Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    York, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have two clocks I've built.

The first - built round 8 years ago - is a Nixie tube clock that has a GPS time setting function that continuously runs:

[​IMG]

The second - finished last week - is a thyratron tube clock (Russian tubes ca late 1960's) which derives it's time via a plug-in module that constantly syncs to my wireless network:

[​IMG]

Mort

Robert Gift likes this.
  16. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Now that I like, especially the green one.

17. Time After Time

NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Retired General Dentist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nifty! Someone really likes electronics and tubes. You do a lot of work with antique/tube radios too don't you Mort?

18. mldenison

mldenison Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    York, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Aha! We must have come in contact someplace or other. I used to until it got too taxing to stand at the workbench. Plus, my wife got tired of all the radios throughout the house. They're mostly relegated to the basement now. I think I enjoyed restoring them more than playing them. The clocks, well, it's much easier building them on the kitchen table sitting down and cleaning up the mess before she gets home from work. I'm retired and she's just tired. Bad luck for her marrying someone 13 years older ;)

Mort

19. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use my weather station with the radio controlled clock in it, works very well.

20. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User

Jan 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice, you just brought forward a very nice memory for me of my father setting his watch and clocks with a short wave radio more than 50 years ago (date is fuzzy). I don't have a short wave receiver but may look at them just to do the same.

21. Time After Time

NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Retired General Dentist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That took me back to calling Local Time & Temp (when calling long distance was "expensive"!). You can still call the Naval Observatory in the DC area also. (I think they are the reference for many Public Internet Servers).

Mort: I took note of you since we live fairly nearby (Hanover). Also, Horton's started auctioning Antique Clocks recently so just out of curiosity I was surfing the subject to learn a little more about them and ran across some of your many contributions on a Radio/Electronics Message Board. Amazing what one can find on the Web. You're famous, or perhaps just "infamous" in your household. :chuckling:

Regards,

Bruce

22. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor Donor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use whatever is available - cable tv, cell phone, Fitbit.

I don't hold my clocks to a high standard of accuracy. If they are within 5 minutes a week, I am satisfied. One clock is 217 years old (my best timekeeper, ironically) and the others are well over 100 years old. I enjoy them for their history, beauty and reliability (considering their advanced years).

Regards.

23. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i get that a number of you don't worry about accuracy that much... but a big part of the pleasure of my tuesday morning winding sessions is making those minor adjustments to get all of my clocks to get them as regulated as possible.

with the sole exception of one of my fusees (which either wants to run a bit fast or a bit slow over a few days no matter what i do (reminds me of a truck with bad steering)), the majority of my clocks run to within a minute or so a week... and most of those are usually with 10-30 seconds.

the closer i get them, the more i can see at a glance any that need tweaking during the week... which just gives me an excuse to spend more time with them.

i'll usually dial up time.is on my iPad, and then see how a particular clock is running. if it's fast, i'll stop the pendulum, make a quick adjustment, and then start it back up again. if it's slow, i'll stop the pendulum, make my adjustment, move the minute hand forward to the next minute and then start it back up again. whichever it is, when i start 'em back up i make sure they're dead on.... because i can.

:)

24. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for all of your responses so far. This has been as enjoyable as it is informative. It's nice to get to know a little bit more about you. Still waiting to hear from some of the forum "heavy hitters"...

Tom

25. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, my Casio wristwatch gains about 5 seconds a week, which I find is close enough to use to set my clocks to as well as my customers clocks. Our local news channel has a digital clock running that has always been my go to clock for setting my watch

26. Time After Time

NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Retired General Dentist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I meant to say that Horton's started auctioning antique radios lately. Pretty neat.

I'm generally with the group that doesn't go for atomic clock accuracy when working with antique clocks. I know some very high-end mechanical regulators could achieve pretty astounding accuracy in their "day", I don't have any of them in our collection.

Funny thing, when I called the Naval Observatory Number today while reading through this thread I happened to look up to the Roku Screen Saver (an App called "Cloc") and for intents and purposes they were exactly in sync. I was watching what I was hearing So....I guess my new standard time source will be my Roku Screensaver to my Watch to everything else from there.

27. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Having said how accurate some of my clocks were Friday showed that the weather has changed. The house has been much colder this week and the heating is not switched on yet. Everybody is running a little faster to keep warm.

28. James McDermaid

James McDermaid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 29, 2011
    I set my late 50's Ball wrist watch to WWV 5MHz using a short wave radio.

I check the collection against the Ball.

Seth Thomas #1 regulator keyhole is the best.
    Ithaca #4 office calendar 30 day is next.
    A Eureka runs quite accurate.
    ATMOS 528 runs good but is just becoming regulated
    The others vary depending on the weather, which includes various calendar and clocks that amuse me.

Jim

29. Robert Gift

Robert Gift Registered User

Nov 12, 2012
    Male
    Tree service "Branch Manager". Medical courier
    Denver, Colorado
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On a men's room bulletin board, I posted: For a good time, call: 303 499-7111 which is WWV - National Bureau of Standards
    Also 2.5, 5, 10 MHz on shortwave radio.

30. Time After Time

NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Retired General Dentist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    :chuckling::chuckling::chuckling: