• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

What theoretical advantage, if any, does a duo-in-uno hairspring possess over a helical hairspring?

Incroyable

NAWCC Member
Jun 26, 2022
Country
I have an interesting duo-in-uno watch.
Unfortunately an orphan, and in terrible condition.
Fascinating though.
Negus Brothers #5688. From around 1884, I believe.

All of the steel components have an interesting black finish that I've not seen before.
The screws, springs, all the motion work, the balance wheel and the spring, even the pinions and arbors have this peculiar black finish.
Looks like it was all powder coated or something.

The hairspring is very distorted, sadly. What has always caught my attention, besides the duo-in-uno, was that the spring is very thick. Almost square stock.

Regards,
Steven

View attachment 738472 View attachment 738473 View attachment 738474 View attachment 738475
Would this have been made for this specific Negus Brothers?

Reactions: S.Humphrey

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Most of the duo-in-uno sprung watches I have seen are also by Walsh but sold by Sam Hammond also of New York.

Incroyable

NAWCC Member
Jun 26, 2022
Country
There was apparently an OF Parkinson & Frodsham duo-in-uno in its original gold case that sold last week at a local English auction.

A watchmaker acquaintance sent me some photos of it after the fact.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Also likely made by A. P. Walsh. The firm submitted two Walsh watches to the 1876 Geneva open regulating competition which listed as regulated by Walsh.

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
What is thought about triple overcoil hairsprings? Is that sort of a duo-in-uno with a shorter helical part?

Cheers, Bernhard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trafxprt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry