What sort of bearing is this? -Platform Escapement

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Scott Guth, Jan 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Scott Guth

Scott Guth Registered User

May 24, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi everyone,

Can somebody explain what the black bearings are made of in the attached photos of my platform escapement?

Thanks,
    Scott G

IMG_0958.JPG IMG_0957.JPG

2. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unless someone has decided to try Delrin plastic (which would more likely be white) it's a jewel, like the one on the top bearing. Leave it alone unless there's excessive wear, which is unlikely, or if there's a crack, which is more likely, or if the edge of the shaft hole has chipped out, which happened in an unnecessarily-jeweled Schatz anniversary clock I've been struggling with lately.

3. Scott Guth

May 24, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Fascinating,

I looked and looked for black-colored jewel bearings on the internet, and never saw anything as dark as this.

The movement is from an unusual Schatz carriage clock that chimes. I've rarely seen other instances of it.

Thanks,

Scott G

4. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good old Schatz. They're always good for a surprise. The mystery jewel could well be a bit of black glass, or maybe someone decided that onyx jewels would be attractive that day.

5. Scott Guth

May 24, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Oh funny! But somehow I had the impression that Schatz didn't make their own platform escapements...

Scott G