What should you know before buying a staking set?

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by ChrisCam, Sep 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I have an inadequate number of stakes so need to buy either a new or used set. truth is I am ignorant as to what to go for. The stakes I know I will need will be for balance staff on platform escapements work as well as general clock repairs (Not Watches). So are stakes numbered or classified and can they be bought separately if a used set has some missing. Should I just go for certain makes? Any advice welcome.

Regards
    Chris

2. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can understand why no replies over this post yet. I have read around and have come up with a book to read :
    Staking Tools and how to Use Them
    by Kendrick and Davis Co, 1910

If anyone else can suggest a good guide on staking systems it may be useful.

Chris

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've got an unbranded but complete watchmaker's staking set off ebay rather cheap. They come up frequently. They are intended for watch repair but the larger stakes are very suitable for many clock repair applications. And, such a set would cover your intention to work on platform escapements too. If I need even larger stakes I either use a piece of brass pipe or I make something suitable on my lathe. So far that has covered my needs.

Uhralt

4. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That book is a good one, with descriptions of what all the gizmos are used for. Some of the other Highly Recommended general horology books have chapters on them, so a bit of a search might find other resources.

Your original question is a tough one to answer, because there is so danged much variation between sets and so many different versions of stakes and stumps and anvils and whatnot. I have three fairly complete staking sets, and between the three I have just about all the gizmos. Everything is mostly(?) compatible, but there are some things that are juuuuuust wrong for things to work in all three sets. Sometimes I have to have two sets going at once for a given project, especially for cylinder escapements. Two of the sets took quite a bit of cleanup to remove rust and grunge, so if you go that route be prepared to spend a couple of evenings with your good friend Mr. Steel Wool.

I don't know of any other way to get everything. There are some vendors who used to list individual stakes and stumps. I don't know if they still do or not; it's been five-plus years since I looked.

Perhaps others will chime in. Hope this helps.

Glen

5. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Uhralt good to hear from you and I note as always your advice.

Regards
    Chris

6. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Gen, yes subsequent to my making the original post i realised the futility of my question. I have now bought a sfull taking set and will look into what it has and its applications thereon. Certainly no set is the ultimate and for the beginner. Maybe the way to go is to buy a used set and play:???:?

Regards
    Chris

7. doc_fields

doc_fields Registered User

Sep 29, 2004
    Male
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Greentop, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Chris;
    Years ago when I set up my shop, I bought a fairly expensive Bergeon (5285D) set, and it was just punches, stakes, anvils and such. Nothing to do with cylinder escapements, no roller removers, etc. But, it does most of what I need. I did get a Rex roller remover, and use it some, but not much need for it for what I do.

I also got a clock staking and punch set with a round anvil from S. LaRose before they closed, and it has served me well, though at times mildly abused;).

I guess I would chime in to say that getting a basic set is a good start, then add to it as you go along, making sure anything extra you buy would work in it as well as it's own stakes and such.....................gary

8. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Gary, I think your bang on the money with your advice. Start with the basics, keep learning and adding as needed. Even buying a full set may mean / imply you are competent to properly understand what 'full' is....not me yet sadly!

Regards
    Chris

9. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Chris,

Whatever staking set you get, (K&D, Favorite, Star are all good), don't forget the essential accessory that doesn't come in the box; a brass hammer!

Regards,

Graham

10. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Graham I have bought a K & D and overlooked the brass hammer....luckily have one already.

Regards
    Chris

11. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Guys can anyone give some directional guidance; Firstly I have a K&D 600 set this is a reduced set but with the inverto design. K&D make 2 balance staff removers the #50 and #50B for pocket watches and wrist watches.
    The issue is my work will only be connected to clock platform escapements so firstly are these tools relevant.
    Secondly if one was so minded (yes I am aware of strong views on using a lather verses staking tools) do you have to have the balance staff removal tool or can you use another stake / stump for this purpose. As you are kncking the staff out surely a stake nicely fitting on the staff will do the job....or am I missing something yet?

Chris.

12. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    just as a follow up the 2 different K&D balance staff removal tools have I believe a different size hole and accompanying punch to neatlt fit over different size staffs. For a clock repairer my advice would be the larger one would be the more likely to accommodate platform escapement staff.... but don't take that as gospel for all cases.
    Chris

13. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: