What On Earth?

BCR

May 3, 2020
Country
Where do I even begin with this one? I have been repairing clocks for close to 35 years now, and I have had the pleasure of working on some very nice pieces. I have also run into some that in the past were "tinkered with", but this one wins the prize as the poorest thing I've yet seen in person. I did a house call recently and picked up a very respectable grandfather clock, a kitchen clock with alarm, and then the customer asked me to take this one along and see if I could do anything for it. OK, so that has been several days now, and I have looked at this mistreated old clock several times now and I'm just scratching my head. FIRST OF ALL LET ME BE CLEAR, I am sharing this more as "entertainment" than asking for advice or how to possibly return this to anything even resembling what it should be. Of course, comments and suggestions are totally welcomed! Well to start with there's the wood clock case, back ripped out and discarded, and sides hacked into with a hand saw obviously. Then the old Seth Thomas 89C movement. Salvageable? Possibly. Notice the main wheel is jammed firmly against the home made wooden side inserts! It's missing the alarm mechanism, either that or the dial pan is not original and of course the paper insert and the lower dial is also printed paper, just glued in place and poorly done at that. Maybe this should just go into the "What NOT To Do To An Old Clock" Hall Of Fame. Or maybe just get it running and call it Early Steampunk! Or return it "as is" back to my customer and he can proudly display Grandpa's "out in the barn moonshine handiwork". I certainly have a responsibility to do right, both by my customer and to all old clocks that come into my hands. I am leaning toward the option of returning it untouched unless I find an exact original donor clock and can make one good clock from 2. I just wanted to share this in hopes that some of you get a chuckle and who knows, maybe an idea or 2!! Here are the pictures.

IMG_3128.JPG IMG_3129.JPG IMG_3130.JPG IMG_3131.JPG IMG_3132.JPG IMG_3133.JPG IMG_3134.JPG IMG_3135.JPG IMG_3136.JPG IMG_3137.JPG IMG_3138.JPG IMG_3139.JPG IMG_3140.JPG IMG_3141.JPG IMG_3142.JPG IMG_3143.JPG IMG_3144.JPG IMG_3145.JPG

Reactions: Salsagev and Alex K

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
It looks like it was repaired by the guy that last worked on my car!

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
I thought I did a pretty good job on that clock. You guys are tough to please.....;)

S_Owsley

NAWCC Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Francisco
Country
Region
To touch the artistry in this clock would be a crime. However tossing it into a dumpster fire might not be.

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
I've worked on lots of clocks like this. It takes a lot of work to transform the decrepit into something better. I know a clocksmith, in Glendale, AZ , who restored an Ogee clock and charged in excess of $2,000. It was in some kind of a marital spat. It was a disaster, but he got it done.

I've come up with a new term for this kind of clock. There are certain people who cannot afford a hot rod car. So, they work on Rat Rods. Just like certain people cannot afford good clock repair, they create Rat Clocks.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
I thought I did a pretty good job on that clock. You guys are tough to please.....;)

dangit, you beat me to it! :)

also, they asked it the OP could do anything w it…. my first thought was cremation, and putting it out of it misery… my second thought was that a donor movement would have to be pretty messed up to make harvesting parts worth it. maybe you could find a donor clock and deal w its smaller list of issues… and give them back the repaired donor… they would think you’re a miracle worker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winter Steelheader
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller