What next?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads' started by Richard Watkins, Aug 10, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

I am not sure where we go from here. We need to sort out categories, and then ...?

2. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Richard:

Welcome back, its good to see you involved again!

3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the recruiting of authors is probably the highest priority. When we get more hands trying to use the facility, the need for various modifications and cleanups will become more clear.

There is one small style issue that we might add to the tutorial. The way the autolink works, it is good to have a small introductory paragraph at the top of articles that will occupy the popup when someone hovers over an article link. A couple of the better articles do not have this element and they do not advertise themselves well in the regular forums.

I am going to be tied up with the Single Sign On service for a while and will have a bit less time to spend here. However, I can do any relatively short term jobs on request.

I would like to eventually author some articles. The gathering of references is the real difficult part of article writing. It may be discouraging some likely contributors. One way to approach this is a take off of the larger publishing houses technique of embedding instructions to the research librarian to go out and find the reference at ... (not clearly specified locations).

I'm glad to see you too Richard.

4. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    I agree with Tom about the "... small introductory paragraph at the top of articles ..."

As soon as I saw what was happening with the popups, I went back and edited articles to include this feature, and I started each new article with an introduction.

It's easy enough to edit-in a short introduction after the fact, but it'd be better if it authors got in the habit of putting it there in the first place.