What movement would you use?

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by pastdarrow, Jun 9, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pastdarrow

pastdarrow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Minister
    Superior, WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am contemplating building my own Grandfather Clock with the weights, chimes, the whole works. If you were to do so, what movement would you purchase to install inside the case. I am looking for your expert opinions and recommendations. No strings attached.

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I suppose it would depend on your taste. A 150-200 year old British tall clock movement and dial could easily be found on ebay. If your taste is more towards a modern movement, I would probably go with a Hermle cable drive, probably a 1161-853 triple chimer. Or, if my pockets are deep I might look for a tubular chime movement, perhaps a Hermle 1171-890. There are suppliers of kit clocks that could help you with blueprints and movements.

3. Joe Hollen

Joe Hollen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Network Engineer
    Weare, NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd go for a David Lindow movement... Again, if pockets are "deep" :) His movements are copies of the 1700's to early 1800's English and American tall Clock movements. Rack and snail strike, Bell chime...

Joe

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    past,

For me, it would totaly depend on the style you plan to make, A contemporary design with lots of glass would look good with the larger Hermle movements. A traditional English style would need something completely different as already suggested by Harrold. The super simple lines of a 'Shaker', case can do with a very simple new or antique movement, time only would be OK. Point being that the movement should 'go with' the case.

Willie X

5. pastdarrow

pastdarrow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Minister
    Superior, WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. You all have been helpful.

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 shutterbug, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
    I'd just add that you need to determine that before you start the project. You'll have to build the case around the movement and dial. The chances of finding one to fit will otherwise be pretty difficult. Personally, I'd do the cable driven triple chimer with a moon dial as a first project. Or, if you're interested, I have a never used Emperor clock kit, still in the box, that dates from the '70s. It has everything you need except the case and pendulum stick (it does have the bob and hardware). I'll let it go cheap. PM me if interested.

7. Chris8011

Chris8011 Registered User

Sep 7, 2011
    Furniture maker
    Launceston.Tasmania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello there,
    I use Hermle movements in my clocks.
    1161-853 is great or 1171-850 cable movements.
    I would love to try the 471-890 Tubular movement,but it is very expensive.
    My customer's baulk at the cost.
    Happy clock making.. :)

8. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If the door and sides are to be solid, then an old English or American movement would be appropriate. If you plan to have glass in the door or sides, then the Hermle movement would be appropriate. But in all cases, buy the movement first and fit the case to it. It is rather annoying to build a case and then find that the movement, purchased later, has a pendulum swing wide enough to hit the sides of the case! Set up the movement first on a stand, run it, and take critical measurements -- like the arc of the pendulum, etc.

If you have a picture or drawing of the case you plan to make, we may be able to make a better recommendation.

Best regards,
    Frank Del Greco