• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

What might these be?

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
(re-posted here from Clocks forum)

A while back I bought a double-handful of miscellaneous small clock tools. Most of them are straightforward broaches and stuff, but there are several whose EXACT purpose eludes me. I've attached a pic. Can anybody help me to identify their purpose(s)? Here's additional description:

1. Nice ivory (celluloid?) handle. Tip is machined to a shallow 3-faced pyramid. Maybe for reaming oil sinks?

2.Pushbutton grabber. There are several of these. Press button in end of handle, jaws come out and open. Release button, jaws retract and close. What are they supposed to grab?

3. Nipple on one end has square shaft, on other end has square hole.

4. Sleeve-operated grabber. A big ol' clumsy version of (5)

5. Sleeve-operated grabber. What's it supposed to grab? I have several of them.

6. Knurled brass knob on one end, loose (wobbly) plastic cup on the other.

7. Nipple on each end has a square hole in the end, with a longitudinal slot through the side of the nipple. I have several of them.

8. Handle for something. The business-end (nozzle) has a hole to receive something small and round, and a transverse groove machined in a ways up. Maybe stick a wire in the hole, and file a flat on it in the groove? I have several of them.

9. Handle for something. No hole in tip, just paper-thin slit through it that does NOT go all the way to the tip.

10. Handle for something. Split nozzle.

11. Two knurled wheels with an arbor through them. No moving parts.

12. This looks like just a regular punch, but I have several of different sizes. Are they punches, or do they have some other function?

Tnx for any and all help.

bangster

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
(re-posted here from Clocks forum)

A while back I bought a double-handful of miscellaneous small clock tools. Most of them are straightforward broaches and stuff, but there are several whose EXACT purpose eludes me. I've attached a pic. Can anybody help me to identify their purpose(s)? Here's additional description:

1. Nice ivory (celluloid?) handle. Tip is machined to a shallow 3-faced pyramid. Maybe for reaming oil sinks?

2.Pushbutton grabber. There are several of these. Press button in end of handle, jaws come out and open. Release button, jaws retract and close. What are they supposed to grab?

3. Nipple on one end has square shaft, on other end has square hole.

4. Sleeve-operated grabber. A big ol' clumsy version of (5)

5. Sleeve-operated grabber. What's it supposed to grab? I have several of them.

6. Knurled brass knob on one end, loose (wobbly) plastic cup on the other.

7. Nipple on each end has a square hole in the end, with a longitudinal slot through the side of the nipple. I have several of them.

8. Handle for something. The business-end (nozzle) has a hole to receive something small and round, and a transverse groove machined in a ways up. Maybe stick a wire in the hole, and file a flat on it in the groove? I have several of them.

9. Handle for something. No hole in tip, just paper-thin slit through it that does NOT go all the way to the tip.

10. Handle for something. Split nozzle.

11. Two knurled wheels with an arbor through them. No moving parts.

12. This looks like just a regular punch, but I have several of different sizes. Are they punches, or do they have some other function?

Tnx for any and all help.

bangster

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
#s 2, 3 & 7 appear to be bench keys for pocketwatch or pendant size arbors.

#s 4 & 5 are varieties of pin vises

#11 looks like part of a mainspring winder for smaller watch mainspring barrels (I have one made by Levin that has a part just like this)

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
#12 is a drift (used for driving pins and such)

#'s 9 & 10 also look like screwdriver handles

I'd agree with #1 being countersink

#6 has me stumped

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Yeah, #8 and #9 look like that. But #8 has that puzzling notch in it (what's that for? never seen one in a screwdriver), and #9 has no hole in its tip to accomodate a blade: just a slit through its little nozzle.

bangster

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Originally posted by leghorn:
#5 is a Balance screw holder, one of a set.

#5 has just two jaws (flat, parallel surface) coming to a sharp point. Is that wht a balance screw holder looks like?

bangster

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
And btw, #2 is a spring-loaded version of #5.

bangster

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Originally posted by leghorn:
bangster
Here is a picture of #5 in the jules borel catalog. I'm not familiar with #2.

Hope this helps.

leghorn
Yep. Balance screw holder. And the one just above, "Barrel arbor holder", may explain it's clumsy cousin #4.

On another forum, it's been pointed out that #8 is probly a screwdriver w/ replaceable blade.

bangster

bangster

Last edited by a moderator:

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Splendid! I've so-far found identification of all but four or so. Here are the remaining mysteries. (Gawd, I LOVE this forum._)

I'd especially more than one person's agreement that the reallynifty #1 is an oil sink countersink. If not, what?

bangster

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
Bangster, I can't see the business end of #1
well enough but it may be a hole deburring tool. #10 is certainly a screwdriver missing blade and ferrule. #9 is likely a screwdriver
but the split on the ferrule is peculiar. #6,
go fish!
-Cort

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Toward a final resolution, here are closeups of the remaining four tools.

#1 shows the pyramidal tip of the tool. Looks pretty much like a countersink, doesn't it.

#6 shows the strange wobbly cup on the end of the stem.

#9 shows the nozzle closeup. Obviously, I lied when I said it had no hole in its tip. It it's a screwdriver (minus blade), what the heck is that slit for?

#10 shows the split tip (one leg apparently bent).

All final diagnoses will be appreciated.

bangster

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
I think #1 is a countersink, but not the kind for oil sinks, the kind for chamfers and deburring.

#6 still has me stumped

The slit in #9 is for pushing the screwdriver blade out with the back edge of a knife blade

#10 looks like a screwdriver that is missing the blade and a ferrule to clamp the two sides of the split end against it

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Many thanks to y'all, both here and on the Clocks forum. Here's the final results:

1. Countersink for chamfering holes (not for oil sinks)
2. spring loaded small parts vise/ balance screw holder
3. pin pusher? watch bench key?
4. hand or gear puller / barrel arbor holder
5. Balance screw holder/ small parts vise
6. Tuit on a stick.
7. Bench key for pocket watch
8. Screwdriver minus bit
9. Screwdriver minus bit....unusual slit? (no, not a pin vise)
10. "Screwdriver" (NOT...well, maybe)
11. Part of a mainspring winder for smaller watch mainspring barrels
12. Drift punch

bangster

clocknut

Dec 12, 2003
farm1.static.flickr.com
Well this is my story and I'm sticking to it . I think #1 is a small soldering iron.It was possibly heated by a small alcohol tourch and used to solder small parts.It has a long handle so you can stsay away form the heat and the discoloration of the tip looks to me like it has been heated sevearl times.the shape of the three sided tip is not the right shape for a cutting tool,but looks like alot of the old style soldering irons. :biggrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidgordonf
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-