French What kind of Vedette ?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by allthing, Sep 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. allthing

allthing Registered User

Sep 1, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Tell me about: when was Vedette Clock born?

Screenshot_20190901-145905_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20190802-211733_Viber.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

Vedette clocks were first made in the 1920s and production ceased in the 1970s.

If you use the search icon (the little magnifying glass symbol at the top of the page) and search this site you will find a lot of information on Vedette clocks. Just type 'Vedette wall clocks' into the search box.

Vedette clocks are attractive and well made and, I think, well worth collecting. Your clock has the name of retailer on the dial, as well as the town of Selestat. This town is not far from Strasbourg, near the French/German border.

Hope this helps you.

JTD

3. allthing

allthing Registered User

Sep 1, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I mean: What year was my Vedette clock made? Because I was given this clock

4. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a later clock from the 1950s onward, going by the short squat case and the more cursive 'Vedette' signature on dial. I do not recall Vedette ever using a serialized numbering database to document years of production.

5. allthing

allthing Registered User

Sep 1, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    My uncle bought this Vedette wall clock from a German.Then gave it back to me. I love it and am learning about the history of Vedette wall clock. It is original. People in my country love Odo wall clock because the French have brought them since the 1930s.

6. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Vedette's clocks tend to be highly regarded among clock collectors, owing to their superb chime quality, variety of cases, and straightforward movement layout.
    Vedette clocks were originally sold throughout western & central Europe but they did extend into Vietnam and Brazil. We did not have many Vedette clocks in the USA until somewhat recently with the rise of online marketplaces.

7. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have 7 Vedette's and there is no better sounding chiming clock. Their tones are full and melodious. Movements are, as stated, well made and very heavy. They are like Ruffles potato chips once you get started. You can't have just one :D

PatH likes this.
  8. allthing

allthing Registered User

Sep 1, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag: