What kind of escapement is this?

Halda Sweden

Dec 30, 2008
South Sweden
Country
It´s a bad picture but perhaps someone can tell me what kind of escapement this is?

Best rgds
Peter

00558042_4 - Kopia.jpg

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I don't know if it has a name. It looks like a variant of the pinwheel escapement that is often found in Jeweler's Regulators, only with very few pins on the pinwheel.

Uhralt

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Does the pallet on the right pivot? How long is the pendulum? What's the rest of the clock look like?

If I had to guess, with such a paucity of information, I'd say possibly a form a Coup Perdu.

Ralph

Last edited:

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
It seems to be a French Portico clock. This one is very nice and unusual. I haven't seen this kind of visible escapement before. Thanks for sharing!

Uhralt

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Indeed an unusual escapement. Could we see the movement?

As Uhralt says, thanks for sharing - it's good to learn of new (to me) things.

JTD

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
It’s certainly looks like a pinwheel type of escapement. And from what I can see it’s a Portico style clock. It has a calendar day and date in the 2 side sub dials.
I’m presuming the centre hand is a seconds hand? I’m wondering if it’s actually a mock visible escapement?
San you post pictures of the entire clock, rear view of the movement and side views of the movement? This would help in trying to answer some questions.
Cheers,
James

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I don't see a reason to doubt the escapement. It looks workable to me. It's a very interesting pin wheel design though. It would be interesting to know who made it. I'm guessing that it's pretty rare - maybe even a prototype.

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
I’m questioning it only based on it having 5 pins and a rough drop of 8-10 inches! That pendulum is going to to be swinging mighty fast! or slow!
That and if you look at it closely it’s got a very odd hook or tip on the right side of the fork? Not to mention no support for the fork?
Doubting, No. Questioning and asking for more pictures to try and establish design, Yes.
I was only hypothesizing as to whether it functioned or not.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
They had a portico clock sell in Dallas late last year with a similar dial configuration. It had a constant force escapement. The pictures weren't very clear, but it did not look like this escapement.

Ralph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timemaestro
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre