• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

English PW What is this tool used for?

mike58

Aug 25, 2012
Anyone of you what is this used for? I have two of these, but being a learner I have no clue what it is used for. When I bought a box full of tools, there was two in there. Can one of your experience watchmakers tell me?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
It's obviously a puller of some sort, likely a wheel puller. Could be for clock hands as well, depending upon the size.

mike58

Aug 25, 2012
Yes, I was think perhaps something along those lines. I have two of these, and thought what the heck are these for. I have research and researched, but only just found one on ebay. It doesn't say what it's for, and the guy doesn't know either. Their only about 3" long

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
Roller table remover.

I have one and use it from time to time.

The clue to this one is in the size, as well as the shape of the "pusher" in the center-if you look carefully you will notice that it's shape such that the pivot of a conical pivot will pass through it, and the center will push on the shoulder of the pivot.

Albert Antonelli

NAWCC Member
Jan 8, 2011
I think Ben is correct, check to see if the middle attachment is slightly conical, that tool will come in handy when removing roller tables either single or double roller type. Al

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
Ben, is correct.
This is NOT a hand removal tool.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
I don't trust any force type roller remover such as a wedge or pincher plier types. This one looks more acceptable but I have worst luck with rollers busting.

The best roller remover is one that fits on the staking tool. Least my opinion.

RJ

mike58

Aug 25, 2012
Thanks Guys. And I have two of these. Both in different sizes. That's great to know now what I can use it for. Will come in handy.

blue92

Sep 24, 2012
I don't trust any force type roller remover such as a wedge or pincher plier types. This one looks more acceptable but I have worst luck with rollers busting.

The best roller remover is one that fits on the staking tool. Least my opinion.

RJ
I like this kind of roller table remover. I also have one that is a stake type that came with 3 punches, I use that one for pocket watches. The one pictured I use for wrist watches.

Picture 7.png

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Does this roller remover pictured ever bust a staff or roller plate..?

I used a small nail clipper for small watch, same principles apply being two blades pinching to force the roller off. Broke them pretty easy.

I like this kind of roller table remover. I also have one that is a stake type that came with 3 punches, I use that one for pocket watches. The one pictured I use for wrist watches.

148814.png

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Shouldn't break anything, since the projections nearest the handles act as a stop to prevent the blades actually meeting.

Kevin Scott

Aug 2, 2011
Country
Does this roller remover pictured ever bust a staff or roller plate..?

I used a small nail clipper for small watch, same principles apply being two blades pinching to force the roller off. Broke them pretty easy.
I have broken a few staffs using this tool on small wristwatch staffs. Not really much of a problem if you are replacing the staff. Now put one of my fingers between the two arms to prevent it from happening.
Sometimes the roller won't wedge off. Then I put the tool with the staff wedged in, into the staking set, and a light punch removes staff from the roller. I use this remover for most wristwatch rollers. It is fast, and does not damage the roller table. I like it.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Think I'll stick to the staking set type. My luck I'll keep breaking staffs and roller tables with that pincher thing.

R.G.B.

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2009
Vancouver B.C.
Country
Region
I tap mine out with the staking set as well. Just the way I started and it's never been a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smartin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-