What is this "Something?"

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Recently I took in an English fusee movement. The movement is from a double sided gallery clock; hence the second plate and drive assembly. When I got the clock, the works were already out of the case.
My problem—There is “something” mounted to the arbor that drives the secondary dial. It has a set screw, but the screw is loose. The “Something” slips on the shaft, and always wants to be pointing down due to gravity. My assumption is the “something” is a counter weight to compensate for the weight of both sets of hands. (Likely the minute hands) I can find no marks on the shaft left by the set screw being tightened.
Can someone with more experience with these clocks enlighten me?
Many Thanks,
Dick Feldman

View attachment 1967

View attachment 1968

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
You're right. It is a counterweight.

There might be markings on the gears to get them all orientated correctly, as well as the square for the minute hand might be marked.... both hand to dial orientations should be the same . I would expect the weight to point opposite to the minute hand that it directly affects. and the same direction as the hand, if a gear reverses it's effect....if that makes sense.

What does the front of the movement look like?

Ralph

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Ralph,
Thanks for your reply.
After I took the pictures, I set the clock on a test stand and attached the hands. Yes, I am convinced that is a counter weight for the hands. With a double set of hands, I suppose it could make a difference. I tightened the set screw with the weight down and all of the hands pointing up.
I do not have a real good photo of the front of the movement, but I think you can see what it looks like from the following pic.
Again, thanks,
Dick Feldman

View attachment 1969

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Well, you have the right idea.... rereading what I wrote is confusing to me and I wrote it. ;)

Ralph.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDHusker
Encyclopedia Pages