• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

What is this part please!

bunnyh

Jan 7, 2022
Country
I can identify every part but this one! - does it have something to do with the pendulum? It is 5cms in length. I am new to all of this! clock part.JPG

bunnyh

Jan 7, 2022
Country
it is part of the innards of a french drum-head 'slate' clock movement.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Could be brocot or lots of old American mantle clocks had dial adjusters with those arbors. What kind of clock is it from?

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
Looks a lot like a rate adjuster.
It would go through the movement from back to front. The square end would receive a key through a hole in the dial and the teeth on the rear end would mesh with another similar cog at 90 degrees which would adjust the suspension spring up and down slightly through the chops.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It is for adjusting the suspension spring from the front of the clock with the small end on the key. Used in American clocks only as far as my memory goes back.
Yes, that's what it is, but not exclusive to American clocks. You can find it on many French clocks too.

JTD

bunnyh

Jan 7, 2022
Country
Could be brocot or lots of old American mantle clocks had dial adjusters with those arbors. What kind of clock is it from?
So sorry not to have replied sooner - I was away.
It is from a black marble (drumhead) french mantle clock. You are correct I think in that it appears to be the fast/slow arbor but what threw me is there is no hole in the clock face for it to go through! Something has clearly been replaced - maybe the face. The part just fell out! so I didn't know where it came from. I wonder if the 'Modele Depose' stamped on the wheel of the brocot adjuster means anything by way of dating the clock? Thank you so much for your reply.

bunnyh

Jan 7, 2022
Country
Can you show us the whole clock?

No. But seeing the movement might.

JTD
I don't have a close up of the clock so not much use I'm afraid and the movement is still in bits!!
I'll dig out photos that I took as I went along. It looked just like the typical french movements pictured on this website and you tube with the snail wheel. Looking at it again, the screwed on brass piece with the hole at the top swings out and the end of the brocot adjustment arbor goes through it and rests in a matching hole on back of clock face rather than through it. Strange and rather fiddly to adjust I would have thought.

clock3.jpg

clock.jpg clock4.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Looking at it again, the screwed on brass piece with the hole at the top swings out and the end of the brocot adjustment arbor goes through it and rests in a matching hole on back of clock face rather than through it. Strange and rather fiddly to adjust I would have thought.
Sorry, but I can't follow this at all. I'll look forward to seeing further photos when you are able.

Others may understand better than I.

JTD

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
I've got an 1860s French Pendule de Paris Clock thats in a wooden case, that the movement is a Japy movement and the dial and movement are also marked Henry Marc and several other related markings and my clock has one of these types of "brocot" regulating adjustments on the front of the clock (mine is at the 12 o'clock position just above the "12" mark on the dial) and it is so small that I have to use a No. 8 Pocket Watch Key to adjust the "brocot" aadjustment on my clock.

See Picture Below.

I hope this helps. Henry Marc French Clock.jpg

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
As it uses a rack rather than a count wheel for striking it's probably post-1880.

These French roulant clocks almost always have a Brocot adjustment for the suspension, so yours as RB says, has its end cut off.
Ergo, the dial if there's no hole next to the XII it's not originally for this clock.

If you are sayng that the back plate of the dial has this hole it will probably be original, and the actual dial will have been swapped. Dials for these are enamel (glass).

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
As it uses a rack rather than a count wheel for striking it's probably post-1880.

These French roulant clocks almost always have a Brocot adjustment for the suspension, so yours as RB says, has its end cut off.
Ergo, the dial if there's no hole next to the XII it's not originally for this clock.

If you are sayng that the back plate of the dial has this hole it will probably be original, and the actual dial will have been swapped. Dials for these are enamel (glass).
Are you commenting about the OP's Clock or mine? If you're commenting about the OP's then yes, I would agree that his clock is defininitely not as early as mine is (mine uses a count wheel for the strike) but the regulating key hole location still applies to the OP's clock as it does to mine because they used that style of regulating for the French Pendule clocks regardless of their age.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Are you commenting about the OP's Clock or mine? If you're commenting about the OP's then yes, I would agree that his clock is defininitely not as early as mine is (mine uses a count wheel for the strike) but the regulating key hole location still applies to the OP's clock as it does to mine because they used that style of regulating for the French Pendule clocks regardless of their age.
Sorry, it was the mixture of the two threads that got a bit confusing; my post was for bunnyh's clock.

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
Sorry, it was the mixture of the two threads that got a bit confusing; my post was for bunnyh's clock.
OK, that's what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure, I was posting the picture of my clock for the OP so that he could have an idea of what that regulating adjustment keyhole was supposed to look like on his clock, I was just providing the information about the maker and retailer of my clock and its age so that the OP and anyone else here knew that my clock was indeed the same style of clock as the OP's clock but just a little bit older, and different maker.

Reactions: roughbarked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nauman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-