What is this kind of watch band called? What is the material?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Kerry Chipman, Apr 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kerry Chipman

Kerry Chipman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2017
    This is on a Hamilton 982 14K. I assume the material inside each block is some kind of leather but I could also see it being something simulated. It feels very hard.

20200409_125836.jpg

Randy Beamer and PapaLouies like this.
  2. wicozani

wicozani Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I believe that is a lizard skin pattern, and might even be genuine.

3. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I would assume genuine.

Rob

4. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe it's the hide from a Nauga, which was used many years ago. Naugahyde, in other words. Known in today's parlance as pleather, leatherette, vinyl, and in coarser circles "plastic". I thought it was authentic lizard skin as well, but then started looking at the patterning. The two sides are, from what I can see, identical. That doesn't happen in nature, it only happens in a mold. Also, the worn ends near the extension band show very even wear through to a darker substrate, where lizard skin with that level of wear would show a bit of fraying.

That said, it's one of my favorite styles of bands. This is a particularly pretty version, and attached to that Hamilton it's da total bomb. Very nice piece!

Glen

musicguy likes this.