• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

What is this for? Cased set of 48 different sized pulleys?

m33eow

Mar 22, 2006
Hi folks,
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me identify this. I'm working my way through my late husbands workshop and he had a number of horological tools, but I've no idea what this is / what it's for.
My best guess is it's some sort of an attachment for a lathe? There's a wooden box with a set of 48 graduated, what look like, brass pulleys on steel shafts. I can't see any manafacturers names anywhere, but each of the units is stamped consecutively on the top from 1 to 48.
:???:??
Any thoughts gratefully recieved!
very many thanks
Anne

mystery pulley1.jpeg mystery pulley2.jpeg

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Anne,

This is a set of turning arbors, designed for use between dead centres in a lathe. Wheels or other circular parts which can't otherwise be held securely in a normal watchmaker's lathe are fitted friction tight on the appropriate sized steel arbor, all of which are slightly tapered, and can then be rotated with a bow on the pulley.

Regards,

Graham

m33eow

Mar 22, 2006
Thank you very much Graham, very much appreciated!

very best wishes
Anne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jennifer123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller