• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

What is this clock?

yam kei

May 5, 2016
Country
Can anyone tell me more about this clock? I could not find any information.
Is this a rare clock?
What is the clock name or clock maker?
ramp clock3.jpg
ramp clock2.jpg
ramp clock.jpg
Many thanks,

kei

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
These clocks are not common, though there are reproductions around. The idea is that the lamp provides a light from within, while the numerals revolve so that the pointer tells the time. From what I can see, yours looks as if it may be an original, not repro. To identify it better, we need to see the clock movement. That may have a maker's name or logo on it. The word 'breveté' just means 'patent' in French.

A nice find, particularly if it is original.

JTD

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Can anyone tell me more about this clock? I could not find any information.
Is this a rare clock?
What is the clock name or clock maker?
View attachment 469628
View attachment 469629
View attachment 469631
Many thanks,

kei
What an interesting clock.

I basically agree with JTD's comments.

It's a form of night clock. They are a category of time keepers meant to permit telling time at night before the advent of electric illumination. They often provided some light as well. These night clocks were often placed in a bed chamber. They may take a number of forms.

Your clock is one of the basic form where a cylinder, in this instance, a wire mesh cylinder with attached metal numerals, was rotated by a clock work mechanism. More typically the rotating portion is milk glass with painted numerals. In order to be able to tell time in the dark, the cylinder was back-lit by the small integral oil lamp.

I must admit, I have not seen one quite like yours before. It also appears to have an alarm mechanism? That's very interesting, indeed.

The origin of yours is probably France (hence the use of the term "brevete"), mid to late19 century.

For a little bit more about this type of clock, see this thread on the MB:

Couldn't resist.

In that posting I link to a variety of night clocks in the NAWCC museum.

Also, if you take some time to Google phrases like "antique night clocks", you will find additional information on line including about some very early examples.

RM

Last edited:

yam kei

May 5, 2016
Country
Thank you very much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pinuccio
Encyclopedia Pages