What is the next clock on your wishlist?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by brian fisher, Jan 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought it would be cool to have a thread where members can post plans for their next "big" acquisition. If you have 2 to post, that's ok too. once you acquire it, feel free to gloat here and then post another one.

I'll start us off.

I really want to get my hands on an astronomical regulator. An E. Howard would be amazing, but i suspect i will never find one i am willing to throw that much money at. as such, i have been bird dogging the versions made in the UK.

hXK4AU.jpg

Next in line is a chiming dutch 18th century hall clock. I know where there is(was) one locally for a really good price if its still available.
    Anyway....something like this one:

SGSshh.jpg

one1laner likes this.
  2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    dude… don’t do that! I get email alerts from different forums. When I get yours the fonts are always small so I just look for the photos of your latest find and saw the astronomical regulator and was immediately totally jealous!!!

It wasn’t until I read the email that I realized you were hinting in advance of your birthday. :)

one1laner and brian fisher like this.
  3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have seen a few that i lost out on. A Howard regulator and a jewellers clock. Hope one day i get another chance to get one of those. A pequegnat regulator too would be nice.

one1laner likes this.
  4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Two this week. I have been the under bidder or the under under bidder on several recently. Either clocks are getting more expensive or I am getting tight.

Longer term I want a centre verge lantern, foolishly turned down one offered to me and regretted it ever since.

one1laner likes this.
  5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm hoping the one used by father time will stop :)

JimmyOz likes this.
  6. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lately I'm not looking too hard for a type of clock. When I see one for sale, that's when I decide it's on my wish list.
    I have plenty of clocks, but somehow I'm still looking.
    There are clocks I know I would like that I haven't seen yet, or I'm not aware even existed.

7. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Same here.

Also true of my “picking”/antiques buying in general. I know it when I see it.

RM

Raymond Rice likes this.
  8. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've been wanting a George Jones regulator. He made both a pinwheel and a dead beat anchor type. Both have a sweeps second hand and are about the size of a Vienna regulator I think.

Sign in - Google Accounts

one1laner likes this.
  9. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    General category - any 18th century clock. My earliest is early 19th.

More specific - 19th century cuckoo. My earliest is early to mid 20th.

Most specific - Gilt figural clock under a dome. There is a teaser clock on CL near me - It shows the dome in the photos, but the description says that after they took the picture, the dome was broken. :(

I may need to create more accounts to post additional requests, and these may change from week to week.

I don't mean to be pushy, but when can I expect this list to be delivered? Brian? :D

Tom

one1laner likes this.
  10. brian fisher

NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i have a direct line to santa. i'll let him know.

11. brian fisher

NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

sadly, i didn't know who george jones was until i just googled it. i have to say...those are some legit clocks. some really nice astros too.

one1laner likes this.
  12. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've had it since late 2014 but a long-time wish list entry was an upright - "beehive" - mantel clock with chimes. Out of all that I've handled - HAC, Revere, Junghans, Celebrate - this one is a firm favorite.
    DSCN0191.JPG

This Celebrate No. 852 is rather cute. It was styled after 20th century neo-Gothic fare which was a style many American clock makers copied during the 1920-1940 period. I like the little sub-dial used to control chime selection.
    DSCN0198.JPG

Getting through the clock for any work is a contortionist's dream. You have to follow one method of disassembly or else you'll mangle something. The movement is in good shape and only required periodic maintenance.
    DSCN0186.JPG

When I had the clock apart for maintenance it was discovered that one chime rod was replaced with a slightly different but period-accurate rod - notice tapered machining and rod head shape.
    DSCN0170.JPG DSCN0175.JPG

The chimes sound great, just like a big Jacques tubular bell chime but smaller. The gong was cleaned entirely with lubricant oil which really brings out the sound quality. HAC's old gong pattern had a Gothic flower embossed in the center.
    DSCN0150.JPG DSCN0164.JPG

There's always some clock I wouldn't mind having - a Seth Thomas Sonora, a crystal regulator, or a Bawo & Dotter gong chime tambour - but I'm already very happy with what I have.
    DSCN0217.JPG

Cathedral family portrait. Another 'Thermoclock' is on its way.

13. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've got to the point that my tastes will have to change, or I'm going to have to sell off a few things, as anything I want is more expensive than I can realistically afford... On the carriage/travelling clock front, I'd love to get something from around 1800, either a German/Austrian clock, or a French Pendule d'officier or capucine. I'd love to get an English striking carriage clock, but those go for way more than my budget. And I want a Garnier-style carriage clock in a case with lift-out front glass panel, and a box chronometer. More realistically, my next purchase might be a wall clock, I've got my eye on a couple of interesting ones.

one1laner likes this.
  14. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another wall clock? Your first is going to be hard to beat!

15. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So, It's now the middle of the year - how are we all going with our wish list items?

One benefit of the lockdown has been that there hasn't been much available for sale - so I've been forced to save rather than spend my spare cash, which has meant that I now things are starting to move again I have been able to afford one of the items on my wish list - a capucine clock.

Capucines are rather plain French portable clocks that were popular from the last quarter of the 1700s to the first quarter of the 1800s. The one I got has the added feature of a calendar, but it is missing the minute hand, and the dial is a bit beaten up (as many are) due to the lack of a bezel or protective glass. Because of these features, and the calendar, it probably dates to the somewhere in the 1790s

Right now I'm sorting out shipping for this, and can only share the one, blurry image, but I will take better photos when it arrives (and has spent a suitable enough time in quarantine in the shed that my wife is happy to have it in the house!).

download.png

D.th.munroe, Jessk09 and PatH like this.
  16. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You got one then, where is it?

A clock I didn't know was on my wish list is on it now. I'll tell you about it if I get it.

17. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It’s in Paris at the moment...

18. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wouldn't call a capucine "plain". They are (as French clocks can be) classic, minimalist case form. Capucines in particular are almost industrial. I can spot one a mile away. So, congratulations! Not too many English speaking clock collectors have these.
    My capucine is on here somewhere, but I should take better photos :(. Like you, it was on my "wish list" for several years.

19. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Very nice acquisition zedric - I saw it myself and was contemplating it. Glad it is going to an appreciative home.

Regards.

one1laner and Bruce Alexander like this.
  20. brian fisher

NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    that is a good looking clock zedric.

yes, i did indeed acquire a clock on my wishlist. i don't know if the pics will post, but here are a couple.

TluQah.jpg

kebGyz.jpg

i guess i need to add another in its place......i'm gonna go with a chelsea or howard ships clock with a dial that is 10+ inches in size.

one1laner and Bruce Alexander like this.
  21. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    vey nice indeed!

22. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've been changing to a dial clock collector from a longcase collector. I think that is coming to an end though as we run out of space and I run out of money.

23. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You may start buy and selling....

24. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I may be forced into selling this week!

25. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #25 Isaac, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    The last chiming clock on my wish-list is a pre ST 10 bell Sonora clock which cycles through a variety of 12 tunes and uses a New Haven T&S movement (which was also used in the Willcock chime clocks). Sadly, their extraordinary sound comes with an extraordinary price. Other than that, I'm very happy with my collection as is.

26. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unless you're like most of us - or until I learn about another must-have clock. :)
    One year we asked our young son what he wanted for Christmas. His reply was that he didn't know because he hadn't been to the store or seen the catalogs yet. I can identify with that, especially when it comes to horological items!

RAK and brian fisher like this.
  27. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would never have put the one I am currently chasing on a wish list because until I saw it I had no idea that any existed.

PatH likes this.
  28. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not long till Christmas now and too many to mention as I'd be like a kid in a sweet shop but as Karen Carpenter sang "I can dream can't I".

PatH and novicetimekeeper like this.
  29. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Now that I think of it, a W&H 8 Bell/5 gong clock wouldn't be so bad, either! :)

My folks and I agreed upon "sell 2, buy 1". However, I don't want to part with any of my clocks that I have currently!

one1laner and PatH like this.
  30. brian fisher

NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    hmmm.... wonder if i could get this one past my wife? sell 2 clocks worth about 100 bucks each and buy one worth a few grand? i like it!!!

i'll report back on how it works out for me....lol.

Bruce Alexander and PatH like this.
  31. Elliott Wolin

Elliott Wolin Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2019
    Male
    Retired
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #31 Elliott Wolin, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    My wish list is simple, I'd like to own one each of most of the major mechanical clock types. I don't care too much about age or rarity, vintage or sort of antique is fine.

I have a bracket clock w/platform escapement, a pendulum wall clock, a cuckoo clock, a tall table clock w/pendulum, some 400-day clocks, and a black Ingraham clock w/pendulum (1916). I'd like a carriage clock, a mantel clock, a grandfather clock, and in my dreams an Atmos clock and a Vienna regulator. And maybe an adamantine clock and a fancy French clock.

I plan to win the lottery to pay for the Atmos and VR, but I suppose that means I'll have to purchase a lottery ticket (which I've never done).

And now that I think about it, how about an ... (posting truncated due to exceeding maximum length and lack of disk space on server).

32. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Hi,

I’m doing a two-in-one here, as I’ve just acquired one of the clocks which was on my wishlist - a French striking repeater carriage clock with a blue enamel dial. This one was made circa 1880, and the presence of the original case is obviously a bonus. The platform escapement is particularly nice. I’ve also been able to tick (excuse the bad pun) another few off the list, I’ll share them later.

Regards,

JJ

4418E0E8-4BC8-493D-9F29-95E5B5C90966.jpeg 7B8195D6-33F9-47FA-B192-0CA3695F2B75.jpeg 61D7EB55-8B56-4F9B-91E7-B8E67807A8B5.jpeg 23889632-3C07-407A-B0B6-0BD07C2401F3.jpeg 791A36CE-0D64-48C3-9E88-301D5520B624.jpeg 58E4B223-832B-4D40-8F0F-1D3D227E5794.jpeg 291C3717-4D59-4609-8339-17209C0FE325.jpeg

one1laner, D.th.munroe and PatH like this.
  33. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    D.th.munroe likes this.
  34. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had that on my watch list to see how much it went for, and thought it would be interesting to you because of the local connection. So it wasn’t you that is driving up the prices of dial clocks then? I can’t work out what was so special about this one to justify the price..

edit - just saw you already started a thread on this one The early dial clock that got away, James Barfoot

35. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That’s a nice little clock, of good quality. I used to have one in that case style, and if I recall it was made by Richard and Cie - would be interesting to see if there are any makers marks on this one. I would guess the style dates to around 1900 or a fraction later

36. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is an uncommon clock as an early dial, possibly a rare one being 9" not 10" or 12", but the driving force behind the price was the signature.

Dorset clocks go at a premium generally wherever they are sold, but in Dorset they get that extra push. I only own three, only one was a bargain, fortunately not sold in Dorset. I bid on a converted Dorset lantern that was sold in affpuddle, it went way over what would have been a sensible price. Not as far over estimate as this one.

On the subject of estimates I was watching another auction a few weeks ago, may have been this auction house. An orange triptych with what looked like fairly crude planes on it, and with an insdistinct signature. Estimate £2-£400, sold for £57,000 on the hammer. I have no idea who the signature might have been but I wouldn't have paid £200 for it.

37. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've posted the photos on a new thread

My new capucine

brian fisher likes this.
  38. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well I have bought another clock, it is an 8" drop dial but a London one not a Dorset one.

39. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wouldn't mind a small French clock. The auction is tonight and I've been waiting for this clock since the start of the year. A friend gave me the heads up that it was coming later in the year. I guess it will sell for more than I am willing to pay but you've got to be in it to win it.....

40. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good luck!

DeanT likes this.
  41. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Go for it, Zedric has just got another interesting one, so why not.

42. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It would be the oldest clock in my collection which makes it interesting.

43. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Which makes it pretty old!

44. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good luck!

45. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Hey Dean,

Best of luck....

Ralph

46. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Hey, get off my lawn..... ;)

Ralph

IMG_9230.JPG IMG_9231.JPG

47. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice selection - are you working on the movement of the last one? Regardless, I can see you already have too many of these - so I'd be happy to receive any donations!

one1laner likes this.
  48. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    The last one... I picked up that case on ebay years ago, .... always the optimist.

The one on the left needs a new glass. I have it and some other bezels packed, but have anxiety about sending them through the mail. If the box got lost, it would really hurt. I have at least 8 bezels and glasses boxed to ship to Canada to be fitted, but still paranoid about shipping them.

There was a round Pendule 'd Officier movement that sold on ebay years ago. It got good money. I was hoping it would be a sleeper.

Ralph

49. S_Owsley

S_Owsley Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Male
    Construction Management
    San Francisco
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What I want next is an open escapement Crystal Regulator with ruby pallets. In nice shape. Is that too much to ask? :)

50. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I need a break, or my bank balance does. I am awaiting the return of a number of things some of which I still need to pay for, two restored 8" drop dial cases, 2 restored dials, one restored twin train dial clock movement, one restored hook and spike lantern alarm.

I need to drill some holes in the walls next...