What is the next clock on your wishlist?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by brian fisher, Jan 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought it would be cool to have a thread where members can post plans for their next "big" acquisition. If you have 2 to post, that's ok too. once you acquire it, feel free to gloat here and then post another one.

I'll start us off.

I really want to get my hands on an astronomical regulator. An E. Howard would be amazing, but i suspect i will never find one i am willing to throw that much money at. as such, i have been bird dogging the versions made in the UK.

hXK4AU.jpg

Next in line is a chiming dutch 18th century hall clock. I know where there is(was) one locally for a really good price if its still available.
    Anyway....something like this one:

SGSshh.jpg

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    dude… don’t do that! I get email alerts from different forums. When I get yours the fonts are always small so I just look for the photos of your latest find and saw the astronomical regulator and was immediately totally jealous!!!

It wasn’t until I read the email that I realized you were hinting in advance of your birthday. :)

brian fisher likes this.
  3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have seen a few that i lost out on. A Howard regulator and a jewellers clock. Hope one day i get another chance to get one of those. A pequegnat regulator too would be nice.

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Two this week. I have been the under bidder or the under under bidder on several recently. Either clocks are getting more expensive or I am getting tight.

Longer term I want a centre verge lantern, foolishly turned down one offered to me and regretted it ever since.

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm hoping the one used by father time will stop :)

JimmyOz likes this.
  6. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lately I'm not looking too hard for a type of clock. When I see one for sale, that's when I decide it's on my wish list.
    I have plenty of clocks, but somehow I'm still looking.
    There are clocks I know I would like that I haven't seen yet, or I'm not aware even existed.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 likes this.
  7. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Same here.

Also true of my “picking”/antiques buying in general. I know it when I see it.

RM

Raymond Rice likes this.
  8. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 9, 2006
    Gardener/Arborist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've been wanting a George Jones regulator. He made both a pinwheel and a dead beat anchor type. Both have a sweeps second hand and are about the size of a Vienna regulator I think.

Sign in - Google Accounts

9. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    General category - any 18th century clock. My earliest is early 19th.

More specific - 19th century cuckoo. My earliest is early to mid 20th.

Most specific - Gilt figural clock under a dome. There is a teaser clock on CL near me - It shows the dome in the photos, but the description says that after they took the picture, the dome was broken. :(

I may need to create more accounts to post additional requests, and these may change from week to week.

I don't mean to be pushy, but when can I expect this list to be delivered? Brian? :D

Tom

10. brian fisher

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i have a direct line to santa. i'll let him know.

11. brian fisher

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

sadly, i didn't know who george jones was until i just googled it. i have to say...those are some legit clocks. some really nice astros too.

12. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've had it since late 2014 but a long-time wish list entry was an upright - "beehive" - mantel clock with chimes. Out of all that I've handled - HAC, Revere, Junghans, Celebrate - this one is a firm favorite.
    DSCN0191.JPG

This Celebrate No. 852 is rather cute. It was styled after 20th century neo-Gothic fare which was a style many American clock makers copied during the 1920-1940 period. I like the little sub-dial used to control chime selection.
    DSCN0198.JPG

Getting through the clock for any work is a contortionist's dream. You have to follow one method of disassembly or else you'll mangle something. The movement is in good shape and only required periodic maintenance.
    DSCN0186.JPG

When I had the clock apart for maintenance it was discovered that one chime rod was replaced with a slightly different but period-accurate rod - notice tapered machining and rod head shape.
    DSCN0170.JPG DSCN0175.JPG

The chimes sound great, just like a big Jacques tubular bell chime but smaller. The gong was cleaned entirely with lubricant oil which really brings out the sound quality. HAC's old gong pattern had a Gothic flower embossed in the center.
    DSCN0150.JPG DSCN0164.JPG

There's always some clock I wouldn't mind having - a Seth Thomas Sonora, a crystal regulator, or a Bawo & Dotter gong chime tambour - but I'm already very happy with what I have.
    DSCN0217.JPG

Cathedral family portrait. Another 'Thermoclock' is on its way.

brian fisher likes this.
  13. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    I've got to the point that my tastes will have to change, or I'm going to have to sell off a few things, as anything I want is more expensive than I can realistically afford... On the carriage/travelling clock front, I'd love to get something from around 1800, either a German/Austrian clock, or a French Pendule d'officier or capucine. I'd love to get an English striking carriage clock, but those go for way more than my budget. And I want a Garnier-style carriage clock in a case with lift-out front glass panel, and a box chronometer. More realistically, my next purchase might be a wall clock, I've got my eye on a couple of interesting ones.

14. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another wall clock? Your first is going to be hard to beat!