What is the missing part here on Herschede tubular clock?

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com
Country
Region
Working on this Herschede tubular clock. In this picture there are the remains of a flat brass spring (held in place by a slotted screw, with a tang in a hole on the lever), which apparently was an original part from the factory, broken and never replaced or a new one made. Would anyone familiar with these clocks know what this was and how it looks and operates with this clock? The serial number on the bottom back plate is 75517, if this helps. This is on the chime side of the movement. As always, thank you for your advice and help!....................................gary
Resized952021020295201721.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
doc - based on a westminster chimer i'm working on, i believe the (missing) flat spring comes straight down and hold that piece from swinging to the right (note the red line i added to your photo). the one on my movement is pretty loose, though, and doesn't seem to do much of anything.

curious to see what someone who really knows has to say! :)

Resized952021020295201721.jpg

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
Country
Region
Now that's a thought! Makes a little sense! I might play with it a bit to see if it's feasible. I'll still watch for other thoughts, but thanks Bruce!...........................gary

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
Country
Region
Mine is a 1970's era movement and it does not have that spring.
Sorry,
Dick
Thanks for checking Dick, appreciate it!...................gary

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
Country
Region
Thanks for checking Dick, appreciate it!...................gary

Well, after many hours searching the internet for R and M Imports website, the former purchasers and owners of the Herschede Clock Co. complete inventory, I found that www.griffensclocks.com had purchased their entire inventory of the aforementioned parts, plus the S. LaRose inventory that R and M had. Unfortunately, after much research, they (Griffens')were not able to locate that missing spring for me either, though they did have other parts I needed.

So, I went to my junk box and found a suitable spring for modification. You may recognize the spring as coming from a Hermle movement with calendar wheel, same as what I used on my Truth Checker tool (q.v.). After some time spent bending, drilling, checking this and that, and trimming with my dremel, below is the result.

It keeps light tension on the arm against the stop pin to the left of it. As the quarter hour wheel rotates counter clockwise each pin for the quarters comes in from the right, lifting the long lever assembly , starting the chiming sequence. It seems to be there to keep the arm in position for when the quarter hour pin rotates into it, lifting the long lever.

I'm not quite done with the spring, as I want to finish some of the edges smooth and make it a little more aesthetic.

BTW, the hitch pins are there on the movement temporarily as I make adjustments and such. When I am satisfied with it's performance, the hitch pins come off and are replaced with the more common twisted wire retainers (see my post on "Horological Heresy?")

Thanks for your comments!..........................gary

Resized952021041095155735(2).jpg

Reactions: Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
I'm waaay late to the party here but that's looking really nice Doc.

I think that finding this spring weakened/broken is not uncommon. I've fashioned a replacement out of brass sheet before. As you've noted, it keeps the lift lever in position while allowing the minute hand to be turned counter-clockwise. In that case, the quarter hour wheel pins will work against the spring tension as the lever is pushed out of the path of the pins. These movements allow the minute and the indexed hour hands to be moved C.W. and C.C.W. with no ill-effects. That comes in pretty handy with Day-Light Savings Time adjustments.

Below is a photo of a movement with a replacement spring that I fabricated from brass sheet. The original had been bent into a semi-circular shape to increase the tension it placed against the lift lever. I inadvertently broke it during my overhaul. I think it must have been weakened by the adjustments. The "before" is the second photo below. Sorry, no detail shots of the spring in question but I do detail a non-factory gravity assist spring that had been placed to compensate for a worn rack hook which would occasionally fail to hold when the gathering pallet was supposed to be arrested into lock by the rack's stop pin. The tale-tell sign, if you didn't happen to hear it, was a Chime Weight which would slowly outpace its neighbors.

In any case, you can see the spring in question in both photos even though it is not central to the photo's purpose. I had the broken original as a template to work with.

These little springs, like click springs, are crucial and I think that we sometimes don't give them proper consideration. I know that I have room for improvement in that department.

Anyway, as always, nice job! :thumb:

Regards.

Bruce
LiftLeverSpring.JPG

Post Factory Gravity Assist Spring.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davehetfield
Encyclopedia Pages