What is the largest clock that can be constructed with Sherline equipment?

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by bytes2doc, Jul 10, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bytes2doc

bytes2doc Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 31, 2009
    Physician
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What is the largest clock that can be constructed with Sherline equipment? I plan on getting the the 4400 lathe and the 5500 mill package with all the accessories. What limitations would I have when it comes to clock construction, what would be the largest gears that could be made? Thanks.

2. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Barry,
    Here is a link to Sherline's website which says the largest diameter the lathe can turn is 3.5". A riser block accessory is available that will allow this diameter to be increased to 5.5"
    Allan

3. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Barry,

If you post a question regarding Sherline's equipment on the tools forum. I bet Jerry Kieffer will be able to give you all the information you require.

4. Russel

Russel Registered User

Jul 15, 2013
    With a little creativity, the sherline mill can be configured to turn larger parts than 5.5', but smaller equipment is really best for machining smaller parts.

5. Russel

Russel Registered User

Jul 15, 2013
    Correction: 5.5 Inches.

6. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Russel, yes for sure it would have taken more than "a little creativity" to turn parts larger than 5.5 FEET... I was hoping for a picture :)

7. Russel

Russel Registered User

Jul 15, 2013
    When I saw my mistake I had to laugh. I was only off by a factor of 12! On another note, keeping in mind that I haven't ever built a clock, I would try to keep any turning needed down to 1.75" diameter when using Sherline equipment. That is the largest size that can be comfortably turned over the crosslide. And I would want to be comfortable when trying to make a part with great precision. Someone with greater skill would be able to be "creative" and successfully machine larger parts on these little machines.

8. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a photo of a clock that was made on a Sherline. For reference, the description page is a standard 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper:

DSC_0869a.JPG

A few months after I took this photo this clock was awarded a first place at the 2012 National in Pasadena, CA.