What is the difference between a Waltham 83 & 92?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by wilsonpaule, Nov 9, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wilsonpaule

wilsonpaule Registered User

Oct 23, 2011
    Hudson, Quebec
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have been reading as much as I possibly can on this website, have learned a LOT of information, but still have yet to scratch the surface. Hopefully someone can save me reading through another 300 threads to figure out something that is probably really basic.....

1) What is the difference between the Waltham model 83 & 92?

and

2) How can I tell which model it is from looking at it?

Thanks
    Wilsonpaule

2. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Someone will most likely post a picture for you but that information is available on the many posts for either model. :)

They are easy to see the difference in the models.:confused:

3. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    #3 Kent, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
    The Waltham model 1883 is a "traditional" 18-size, full plate movment, a convienent example is this No. 35 grade. Available in commercial, 7-17 jewel grades (and even a 21-jewel grade), the model 1883 was also built in grades promoted for railroad service.

Waltham's model 1892 (introduced in 1894) was designed for railroad service, exemplified by this AT&Co. Premier grade. However, not all model 1892 grades were suitable for railroad service.

As you can see, the greatest visual difference is that the model 1892 has exposed winding wheels and a recessed balance (to make the movement slightly thinner than the typical full-plate 18-size watch, i.e., the model 1883).

4. ben_hutcherson

ben_hutcherson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Chemist
    Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. wilsonpaule

Oct 23, 2011
    Hudson, Quebec
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ben

Thanks, succint and to the point. Now I know. I have read so many threads on this forum everything seems to meld into one big picture!

Wilsonpaule

6. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Something worth mention ... 99++ percent of 83 models are 17 jewel and under, 99++ percent of 92 models are 17 jewel and over.

7. wilsonpaule

Oct 23, 2011
    Hudson, Quebec
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, I learned something. I just spent 10 minutes , opened up my 3 walthams, and right away knew what model each was. That should sink into my cranium and hopefully stay there. Now, to go off and find pictures of the other waltham models for comparison purposes> Back in a few minutes and I hope to post the different models for the other newbies out of there.

8. wilsonpaule

Oct 23, 2011
    Hudson, Quebec
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For any newbies out there like myself, i would advise spending some time at Tom McIntyre's site (www.awco.org). Go to the collections pages and just spend some time reviewing the pictures of the different models. I just spent 15 minutes there and a lot of things just fell into place.When you have so many pictures side by side for comparison, it helps clarify things quite quickly. Tom, great resource!

9. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Everything there is almost 10 years old now. Once I get done with the NAWCC BOD, I may have more time to get caught up.