What is the best way to coat a polished pewter chapter ring?

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by Jim Duncan, Apr 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Duncan

Jim Duncan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2011
    Central Coast of California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am in the process of preparing a recently acquired replacement pewter chapter ring for a one-handed clock. It currently has a ring with numerals/divisions for a two-handed clock, so I wanted to get a proper replacement installed. Witness holes in the wood show that the current ring is not the original.

The replacement ring is in decent condition with a bit of oxidation and fair-to-faint 'wax' in the numerals. The current chapter ring has a bit of polish to it, although the camera flash makes it appear shinier than it is. I wanted to retain that existing level of shine on the new ring.

I'm ready to do the polish (I'll practice on the back side first), but I'm not sure of the best way to coat the surface for protection once it is polished. I've just read an article in CLOCKS magazine where the experienced chap used modern spray lacquer on a newly silvered chapter ring only to have traces of old wax in the numerals become cracked and unsightly owing to the modern solvents in the lacquer.

Since I'm leaving the old wax/shellac in the numerals of the replacement ring I didn't want to go down the same road as Richard Stuart in CLOCKS. I'm not sure I want the look of a spray coating on pewter either.

I've used Renaissance wax on other metal bits but never a dial. I'm not sure how it will work with pewter.

Has anyone out there some experience (good) with coating pewter?

Thanks,
    Jim

replacement chap ring-whole.jpg 2-hand chap ring.jpg

2. upstateny

upstateny Registered User

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Renaissance Wax

3. Jim Duncan

Jim Duncan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2011
    Central Coast of California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks upstate. Have you ever renewed the black numeral wax in pewter?

Jim