What is so special on this type of clock?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by P.Hageman, Jul 31, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Now and then I see this kind of clock on the web. They call it library clock probably due to the fact its only a going train with fusee. I do like them, but I don't think I will ever buy one because the prices they ask are ridicule in my humble opinion. Can anyone point me out why the ask such high prices for this simple kind of clock? Do I miss something:screwball: 312151.jpg

2. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    The prices of these clocks seem to be affected by their similarity to English carriage clocks, which were often made in this style of case (but with a handle and often with good quality veneers). The carriage clocks came with a balance wheel escapement instead of a pendulum. English carriage clocks have a reputation for being finished to a very high standard, similar to chronometers, and so they command higher prices.

Library clocks with a pendulum should be a bit cheaper than those with a balance wheel.

3. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    P,

I think they are a timeless classic design. I like them and try to gather them in when I'm able. Especially the miniature versions. 10" and smaller. The balance wheel abd chronometer versions command a premium.

The picture you posted doesn't do them justice. ;)

Ralph

4. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Here's a favorite... note the jeweled pallets.

312960.jpg 312961.jpg

Attached Files:

5. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Hello Ralph, thanks for showing your clock. Now I can see why the command high prices! What a piece of high quality! Think I will be on the look out for such a clock!!

6. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not all of them are too expensive. Here is my "economy" model. No jeweled pallets. You will note the clockmaker's solution to a snug fit of wheel and pinion on the back plate. 312966.jpg 312967.jpg 312968.jpg 312969.jpg

7. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Hi Chris, nice clock, never saw this "clockmakers solution". Solution for what? Is this original??

8. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 Chris Radano, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    You can't miss it. The clockmaker cut a circle through the back plate for the wheel. There is a brass bar screwed on the back plate, with 2 pivot holes. Basically, the back plate was extended to allow more room. All original.

9. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know if this is the same type of clock :?| The front lower glass is colored orange, for viewing of the pendulum bob when running. 312975.jpg 312976.jpg 312977.jpg 312978.jpg 312979.jpg

10. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I keep looking at these 4 glass and 5 glass library clocks too. I want to replace a French carriage clock with an English clock but hard to find something affordable.

I think their small size explains their high price. All the smaller bracket clocks carry a premium.

I particularly like some of the case styles, but I want a pendulum clock because otherwise the high beat is quite annoying.

Sometimes you see the term library clock applied to a two train one that strikes, I think the terminology gets a bit loose.

11. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    "Sometimes you see the term library clock applied to a two train one that strikes, I think the terminology gets a bit loose."

I've thought the same thing... I guess it applies to the style. "Coke" phenomenon.

Ralph

12. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here they seem to go for 4 glass and 5 glass as much as library clock. I like the stile with that curved moulding under the dial.