What is it

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by edfuller, May 9, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. edfuller

edfuller Registered User

May 4, 2007
    I just came into possession of a pocket watch that has no maker's name on the movement or on the dial. Does anyone out there have any ideas on it's origins? Hopefully the pictures are clear, if not please let me know and I will try to make better ones. Thanks for any help. Ed

Attached Files:

2. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    The Swiss used a different method of producing watches. Dozens of companies produced incomplete movements called ebauche movements. These were then purchased by any of hundreds of even thousands of other companies or individual watchmakers that completed and cased these movement. They could make a high end or low end watch out of a given ebauche movement, depending on how much time and money they wanted to invest. To ad insult to injury, many of these companies did not label their work or used dozens of labels.

So all we can say, Swiss bar movement. 1840 to 1890. Cylinder escapement.

Don

4. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Some have a maker's trademark on the pillar plate - not sure from the photo if there is one near the balance cock. But finding who the mark belongs to can be very difficult, so it is not always a help.

5. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like a low jewel (probably 6, the writing might say) cylinder escapement. Key wind and key set.

6. edfuller

edfuller Registered User

May 4, 2007
    Thanks to all. I found a little more information last night. In the "Complete Price Guide to Watches" No.26 I found a picture of the movement on page 448. It says "Bar (Le Coultre) SWISS style ebauche caliber." Thanks again to you all. Ed

7. pwrudy

pwrudy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Priest, Teacher
    Duisburg, Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dear Ed,
    let me just add that this is a so-called 'Calibre V', produced from the 1850s until well into the early 1900s. You will find an explanation of those different swiss models (if you take this term as a translation for 'calibre') in Adolphe Chapiro, Taschenuhren aus vier Jahrhunderten, München 1995, p. 356.
    My personal guess for a production date of this four-jewel low-grade watch (see inscription on dust cover) would be 1880/90s (machine-made engraving on cock).
    Rudolf