• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

What is it?

intergalactron

Jan 25, 2022
Country
Trying to figure out what this movement is. Dial is marked “M. Timpane, Troy NY”. Serial number is 564285. Dial is 1.800”, lever set… No case. I have it partially disassembled, but I don’t have a jewel count yet, as I am waiting for a pin vice to get the cannon pinion off. 236FEF85-E371-486F-AF4F-00E4F70CABF5.jpeg EDBB941A-EE0F-40E9-A528-DF23D697B88D.jpeg

Reactions: Old rookie

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
It looks like a Swiss Private Label from a Jeweler in Troy NY
I believe I may have a PL from this Jeweler.

Rob

Reactions: John Cote

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi intergalactron,
I can’t get it to budge with a lever.
The centre arbor on these is usually hollow with a pin passing through it, and the cannon pinion is a pretty tight fit on the pin. The action to allow hand setting is achieved by the pin being able to turn in the hollow centre arbor, although still with enough friction to drive the motion work. Tapping the pin out from the dial side is the safest way to do it; if you try and lever the cannon pinion off, especially using only one lever, you risk bending or breaking the pin.

Regards,

Graham

intergalactron

Jan 25, 2022
Country
Excellent call on tapping that shaft out. The pin vice didn't work. It might have, but I was scared to tighten it too much.

Last edited:

intergalactron

Jan 25, 2022
Country
I can find no other markings on this movement, other than the sn and M.Timpane. So... back to the original question. What is it? And where can I get parts for it?

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
I'm not sure anybody is going to be able to tell you exactly who made this movement. The usual way these came into the US from Switzerland was through a distributor, usually in NYC who had the contacts in Geneva and imported lots of movements. These movements were put together from parts made in the cottage industry of Swiss watchmaking. Sometimes we can know who the finisher of the better movements was. Your movement is, unfortunately not one of the better imports. It is sort of generic. Usually, the only way to find parts is to buy a donor movement which has the same plate layout. I seriously doubt that any parts house is going to have drawers full of parts...or even know where the drawers would be if they did. Look for a similar movement. Perhaps between the two you will be able to assemble a working watch.

Reactions: roughbarked

intergalactron

Jan 25, 2022
Country
I was afraid of that. Even if I can’t get it to a running state, it’s already served the purpose of being something to practice on.

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
I was afraid of that. Even if I can’t get it to a running state, it’s already served the purpose of being something to practice on.
That's the spirit. If you save this movement, perhaps not as a project to bring back to working but as a learning experience, you will someday stumble upon an almost working and originally cased example which will need a part from this movement. The only trouble with this philosophy is that you could end up like a lot of us with boxes full of old movements and other junk. Nerd-dom is a dangerous thing.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
I had never thought that I was a nerd but put that way, maybe we all are?
I'm very sure that many members of this board have not only done a lot of research but also have access to better reference material than I have. From my humble viewpoint, this was not the cheapest of watches available to American importers even though it was not actually finished by a well known name, it was a base model of better grade than many at the time. You could almost call it as what we see today of Chinese copies of better known brands.

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I think the difference is, a nerd does not know they are a nerd. If
you think you are a nerd your not(just kidding) :) ;) .

Rob

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
After all this talk I am going to move this watch to the European
section. Someone did ask why it was still here(it is an American PL
thats why I left it) Moving it now for better identification.

Rob

mosesgodfrey

NAWCC Member
Aug 30, 2017
Country
Region
Following Rick's lead, I'll suggest Longines/Francillon & Cie. Serial number fits, and a preferred private label maker for many folks. Some similarities to the "Caliber B or L" movement on the left of this 1883 ad--click mechanism, balance cock & hairspring stud carrier shapes, F/S adjustment marks, etc. Yours could be its 1890 cousin? Grasping a bit here, but I do see a few Longines from this period out there that are even closer to yours.

1883 longines B L calibers.JPG

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Just out of curiosity, what does the barrel-bridge look like? The discoloration of the damasceening on the plate show that there was a barrel-bridge covering the winding (ratchet) wheel not long ago. BTW, my first guess would be a Longines product. I base this mostly on the rough plate design, as well as the type of damasceening. Cheers.

intergalactron

Jan 25, 2022
Country
Just out of curiosity, what does the barrel-bridge look like? The discoloration of the damasceening on the plate show that there was a barrel-bridge covering the winding (ratchet) wheel not long ago. BTW, my first guess would be a Longines product. I base this mostly on the rough plate design, as well as the type of damasceening. Cheers.

Attachments

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
So, intergalactron, do you actually have that plate that covers the ratchet wheel? Do you see the plate that's partially covering the wheel in mosesgodfrey's last post? I'm just wondering if the movement is incomplete. Cheers.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
The example is what I call a Barrel Plate. A barrel bridge to me is pivot support that is secured on both sides of the pivot and exposes the barrel on both sides.

Here is a pure example:

Fullmovement2.png

To me it is also a barrel bridge if it covers the drive wheel (the one with the pivot at the center of "Adjusted").

intergalactron

Jan 25, 2022
Country
So, intergalactron, do you actually have that plate that covers the ratchet wheel? Do you see the plate that's partially covering the wheel in mosesgodfrey's last post? I'm just wondering if the movement is incomplete. Cheers.
This is all I got. I think it is complete except for stem and case.

IMG_3056.jpg IMG_3057.jpg

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Good. Thanks for including the new images that show the plate I was inquiring about. That said, it's a bit odd that the damasceening of that plate doesn't follow the rest of the plate decoration. But that is truly just aesthetics. Since it's marked with the same name as shows on the dial, it's almost certainly all original. Enjoy the project.

intergalactron

Jan 25, 2022
Country
Looking back, I failed to mention that the seller on eBay claimed this was a Longines. After receiving it, I kinda arrived at the conclusion that it wasn’t. But maybe it is.

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
It sure looks remarkably similar to my Longines posted in another thread. Here are the two side by side and I believe there are enough similarities to reasonably think that the movement here is Longines. Other than it's general look and the similar dial, the under dial photos show some similarities. Obviously the click is different since the OPs watch has the ratchet wheel on the top plate, and was obviously a better movement. The serial number is right in line as well.

20220207_082324-COLLAGE.jpg 20220207_081732-COLLAGE.jpg

After you get it back together, intergalactron, go to Longines website and ask them to look it up in their archives. It's a great free service they offer. They will need nice clear photos of the movement. Both sides including the underdial, and the dial. Of course, I found out the hard way that if the movement came from their Ebauche department, instead of regular production, Longines will not have records for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JT123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-