• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

What is going on ???

P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
The Netherlands
Country
Last couple of months I noticed a strange thing when it comes to selling prices of antique clocks on auction sites etc here in the Netherlands. There are clocks beeing described as: "Did not run for ages, needs to be repaired, is missing a few parts, need restoring etc etc." There are also very similair clocks in beautiful condition beeing advertised. Guess what........... The dirty and neclected ones even with parts missing are fetching most of the time substancial more money then the other ones! There must be a reason for this. I've read in another thread, Chris Radano states: "knock off a molding of the clock" and the price is rising. Could the explanation be that one thinks buying a neclected clock is buying an original:???:

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
When I was looking for a case to put an early 18th century clock in I found a case with a clock would go for less or similar to a case the same age without a clock.

I think they are assuming originality, yes, but the price of early clocks is all over the place at the moment, bracket clocks seem to be holding their own a bit, longcase are still in decline.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I wonder whether the honesty factor is part of the draw? It's nice to know exactly what you are getting. More probable though, is that the movements going for more are rare, sought after movements.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Many auctions allow the seller to make one bid on their item.
They then pay a small fee.
At the next auction, people see that at a previous auction a similar
( same ) item went for such a price. Let the bidding begin.
Tinker Dwight

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raul c.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions