What Is Damaging These Teeth?

Petec

Jun 5, 2014
Nashville TN
Country
Region
See attached. I don't know if this just started or is the result of 70 years of wear.
What can I do about it? 2021-04-24-19-1959927.jpg

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
That is the result of many years of use involving too soft of brass coupled with an overly strong spring. The wheel needs to be replaced.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Pete,

When they are that far gone, I would recommend having a new wheel made, or start looking for a good used wheel assembly.

Also, after you deal with the worn out wheel, switch to a .165" strength mainspring. This will lessen future wear.

Willie X

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
That is the result of many years of use involving too soft of brass coupled with an overly strong spring. The wheel needs to be replaced.
Also, since the wear is uneven(goes from heavy to slight), I’m guessing you probably have a bent arbor as well.

Petec

Jun 5, 2014
Nashville TN
Country
Region
Is there anyone on this forum that can make a new wheel?

Petec

Jun 5, 2014
Nashville TN
Country
Region
The mechanism is "Ansonia 5 1/2"
I made 5 measurements of the diameter as shown in the picture.
They varied from 59.65mm to 59.77mm.
The thickness is 1.48mm

WheelSize.jpg

Petec

Jun 5, 2014
Nashville TN
Country
Region
Also, since the wear is uneven(goes from heavy to slight), I’m guessing you probably have a bent arbor as well.
I will check into that. Many years ago the clock would stop at random times. I noticed one of the wheels was always in the same position when it stopped. I used a dial gauge to find the point that needed to be corrected and nudged it back.

Rob Martinez

NAWCC Member
May 3, 2013
Country
Might be showing my ignorance here but the Butterworth WWW page seems to have the biggest selection of parts/wheels bar-none. Maybe an email to them with the OD and # of teeth.... Worst case they say no....

Reactions: Petec

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Butterworth stocks parts for modern clocks. I would not expect to find a great wheel for your clock there. And yes, there are people here who can make such a wheel, but it will be far more cost-effective to find a replacement off a loose movement. I suspect having one custom made will cost you $100 or more.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
www.timesavers.com sells a replacement main wheel that fits some American movements.

In addition to the causes of the damage already mentioned - brass that's too soft, too thin, and too much power - worn pivots/pivot holes at both the T1 and T2 positions, and accumulated dirt were likely factors. Properly designed, the main wheel teeth push the trundles of the T2 lantern pinion, there is very little sliding action between the tooth and the pinion. When the pivot holes wear the wheel and pinion are no longer properly aligned and the wheel teeth are forced to slide against the pinion rapidly increasing the rate of wear. In the OP's example, the brass that is missing was likely worn away by improper gear to wheel alignment caused by pivot wear and accelerated by dirt and metal dust acting as grinding compound. The brass that was 'pushed up' but is still there was caused, as stated by others, by too much force on a wheel that was not strong enough to take the loading over time.

RC

Reactions: Petec

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre