What Is Catalog Number For This Hamilton 18s Dial?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Bob McClelland, Sep 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bob McClelland

Bob McClelland Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2010
    I recently got this Hamilton 18s DS dial and would like to find out what number it is. I checked some of the early Hamilton Materials Books, but nothing there. There are also identical SS & DS versions with Roman numerals.[​IMG]

2. John Cote

John Cote Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    I don't know the cat number but this is a great dial. These are usually found on early high grade open face watches like the 936-938 etc...they may even have been sold on the very early 940s.

3. johnbscott

johnbscott Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Country Flag:
    But there is no full stop (period) after "Co"!

4. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bob,
    The earliest Hamilton catalog I can find is 1910 and they changed to the "Hamilton" in 1909.

The timekeeper booklets usually just had a picture of the movements.

johnb,
    They didn't use the period on the 18s dials but did use then on 16s, Why?, I don't know.

5. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry,
    After looking at many 18s dials, it appears that about half of them have the .(Period), so they may have decided that at some point, to start using the period.

6. TimeAntiquarian

TimeAntiquarian Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Country Flag:
    While we are discussing the topic of early Hamilton dials, it should also be noted that there were two distinctive signing styles utilized.

On earlier dials, the "H" and "W" feature an over-stroke lead-in swash. Compare this style to the under-stroke lead-in swash on the later (more common) examples. The "l" and "h" also have open loops, amongst other minor differences.

7. 179

179 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Bob, I do not know the number of this early dial, but it is often referred to by collectors as the railroad track dial for obvious reasons .

8. johnbscott

johnbscott Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Country Flag:
    I have seen it suggested that the better dials had a period after Co. I don't really know about that but my observations have led me to think that there might be something in it. The prevailing factor might be time of manufacture, rather than dial quality, of course.

Then there are the dials that have a period after Co with the end-flourish of the o in Co encircling the period. They are definitely the good ones. I would expect to see that style on a grade 942, for example.

9. Bob McClelland

Bob McClelland Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks for all the information and especially on the variations on the signatures which I had never noticed. In looking through the Hamilton photos I have collected I found another version of the 'over stroke' which does have the loops in the l & h. Probably a coincidence, but the two I found were on 944s that had been up-jeweled from 936s.