What is bim bam?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I've heard this term for a long time, and always assumed that it refers to the typical gong strike on most mantle clocks. Lately I've come to appreciate that it may mean the door bell type two chime set up. Can anyone clear this up for me? I've checked in the archives but don't find a clear answer. Thanks :0)

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I've heard this term for a long time, and always assumed that it refers to the typical gong strike on most mantle clocks. Lately I've come to appreciate that it may mean the door bell type two chime set up. Can anyone clear this up for me? I've checked in the archives but don't find a clear answer. Thanks :0)

chrsvor25

Jun 16, 2005
a strike with two seperate notes counting out the hours, one note higher then the other

i e the clock counting out one o clock would sound like "ding dong" and two o clock... "ding dong ding dong"....

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Thanks, chrsvor25. I kinda thought that's what it must be. Srwilson - I've got one like that. An old Seth Thomas Tambour that strikes one chime series on the 1/4 hour, two on the 1/2, three on the 3/4 and then counts on the hour. I assume that's what you are saying too :) BTW, I looked at your collection and thought if I treated you extra kindly I might get a mention in your will. What do you think? Those are some beautiful pieces you have there!!

SrWilson

Feb 19, 2004
Visit site
LOL you will be waiting a long time for my will Im only 21.
Yes the 1/4 striking method like you mentioned is what I am refering to - its in many european carriage clocks and several bracket clocks - such as W&H and Lenzkirch ones - you can see 3 of these 1/4 strike ones on my page.
I know the odd seth thomas had the 1/4 striking but usually 95% of them are half hour strike.

We call the 1/4 strikers ting tang in europe or petit sonnerie I still think bim bam sounds daft heh :biggrin:.

Although there are a fair few half hour strike clocks here too made by smiths( I have a little half hour striker ting tang by them)& junghans Kienzle and even Becker to name a few.

The strike pretty much came from st pauls in london. Of course striking the 1/4s.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Would you still call it a bim-bam on three or more rods? Or would it be a bim-bam-bong:???:
Enquiring minds need to know ;)
Harold

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Harold, I have a W&H with european ting-tang (or bim-bam) quarter striking that has three coiled gongs. Strikes the quarters on two of them, then the hour strike is on all three. Gorgeous sound!

John Hubby

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
srwilson - 21:???: I don't have a chance then! How did you acquire such a great collection? I'm pretty sure you were mentioned in someones will, eh? ;)

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
I have a Junghans ting-tang movement that has what appears to be an 'optional extra' Westminster chime train mounted on a movement of its own, on the top of the main one, and it sounds this on the hour as normal.

The hammers have the usual Junghans chains, and there is a little flap to cover up the chime winding square that appears in the dial arch.
I have seen two others of these only.

Sadly, my case crumbled away with woodworm, but it was such an unusual movement that it is worth me doing something about it.

SrWilson

Feb 19, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by shutterbug:
srwilson - 21:???: I don't have a chance then! How did you acquire such a great collection? I'm pretty sure you were mentioned in someones will, eh? ;)

Actually I bought all of them but no denying some inheritance money helped with one or two of them :).

pastimes - I have never seen a 3 gong W&H ting tang clock thats interesting, I've only seen one by lenzkirch.

Francis Rozario

Sep 16, 2011
The Bim Bam is certainly the two chime set up and it is supposed to imitate Church bells, I just read this somewhere and really forgot the site but it was an authoritative site though that much I can assure you.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You resurrected an old one, Francis :D I started this one when I was fairly new to clock repair. Come a long way since then :D

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
I define Bim-Bam as striking the hours with a high and low note on rods, normally the half hour is only one note. Someone mentioned Ding-Dong, this is a name that Seth Thomas used on a movement that struck bells in the high low method, the bells are not unlike Sonora bells, but use only two. I like to call it the "poor man's Sonora".

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
You resurrected an old one, Francis :D I started this one when I was fairly new to clock repair. Come a long way since then :D
Yep, now you generally spell kcolc correctly. Back then, well, it was hit or miss.:whistler:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
LOL

ragobo

Apr 14, 2015
Barcelona
Country
Region
Take a look at this, this is a Kienzle Bim Bam, it literally chimes Bimmm Bammmm it is the last clock in this video so you'll have to be patient. Anyway there are only three different chimes here begining with the Westminster Chime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Oxqr_RJOc
Nice video, the clock chiming the hour prior to the Kienzle is a 4 airs FFR playing "le paimpolise" :)

Regarding Bim-Bam's I am more familiar to heard them as quarters indicators on some local church or tower clocks and then the hour is played on a single note bell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aleksi peikrishvili
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff