• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

What is a crochet needle used for?

bartmes

NAWCC Member
May 20, 2012
In two different lots of watchmaker tools I've bought I have found a crochet needle. What would their uses be?

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Crocheting.... {rim shot}..

Ok, serious answer. As a music teacher, I did quite a bit of quickie/emergency instrument repair, and ground small notches into both the hook and base ends of a small crochet hook to aid in placing and adjusting springs on saxophones, clarinets, and flutes. It was an invaluable tool.

When I started working on clocks last year, it was one of the first tools I migrated from my instrument repair kit to my clock bench. It's useful for carefully nudging arbors and pivots into place when assembling movements, guiding helper springs around posts and arbors, fishing cuckoo chains, all kinds of things. One of the most used tools on my bench.

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
Off-topic: I use it in the rigging of ship-models. Gleaned really small ones from the estate of ageing or deceased relatives. The really small ones do not seem to be made anymore, as no-one does crochet-lace anymore, I guess.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Absent any other tools, I used one at my sister's house to get the chains of her cuckoo back in place.

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Depending on the size of the hook they can be used to align pivots in smaller clocks or larger pocket watches. I use something more flexible though. An oiler usually does the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heresolong
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-