What Is a 'backward' dial used for?

Rob Martinez

NAWCC Member
May 3, 2013
Country
I also picked up some 8x10 and 11x14 card stock sheets with a clock dial printed on them. However, the clock dial is printed backward (12, 11, 10 and so on vice 12, 1, 2, 3...). They do not appear to be stickers or transfers. Any idea what they were for or what I can use them for? I was going to post some pictures but I think the above discription does the trick. Its a clock dial, only backward...

Thanks in advance for any information you can share -

Rob

Last edited:

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Barber shops with mirrors? I have a backwards dial clock in my kitchen… Flips out all of my friends. :)

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Guys, this thread has been modified a bit. Please remember that offers to sell are not allowed on the message board.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
There isn't one, Rob. You would have to take that to an auction site, or use the "conversation" function here to send private messages to parties you may feel would be interested. We do have a section where you can list items you are seeking, but at this point you can't offer to sell or trade anything on the board. We do that to prevent the forum from becoming a selling platform instead of an educational one.

Reactions: chimeclockfan

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Is the dial a real mirror image of a normal dial? I had a backwards running clock in my office for a long time, just to confuse visitors. I was a birthday gift from my kids. On that clocks' dial the numbers were printed in reverse order, but as regular numbers, no mirror images.

For a Barber shop clock you would need a real mirror image dial.

Uhralt

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
There are backward dials on many tower clocks as the setting dials often turn counterclockwise.

Frank

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I believe the old barber shop clocks were actual mirror images. Pretty cool idea that didn't last. But as Rough mentioned, they still make quartz movements that run backward.

Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
Hertfordshire England
Country
Region
"Backward" clock faces are used on tower clocks
They show what you would see if you could look through the clock at the hands outside
The hand/hands go anticlockwise
The figures are the right way round just not where you would expect them to be

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Wow:

Here is one of mine. The single hand goes around counterclockwise. But a dial on the other side of the arbor would see the hand go clockwise and a normal dial would be used. (This is an English time-only tower clock, ca. 1880s.)

CIMG6348.JPG

Frank

Jaap

Mar 6, 2013
Country
At my work for M/A/I Basic Four computers, in the early eighties, we should say ' To Confuse The Russians'.

Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
Hertfordshire England
Country
Region
Purely by chance my avatar shows a two handed backwards dial
It is on an 1803 Thwaites clock in the tower at St Mary's Church Welwyn in Hertfordshire UK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PMcGinty
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller