• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

What I always find annoying…

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Just a moan really… what I always find annoying is when you buy or take in a long case clock for repair and discover that the threaded brass bar beneath the pendulum nut has been bent backwards! This always annoys me because it’s very high risk trying to straighten and 8 in 10 just snap off ! It’s a pointless thing to do and I cannot see any benefit from doing this or am I missing something?
Moan over!

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
are you saying they're bent back 90 degrees? if so, yes, that's pretty dumb... especially given the odds of the ends scraping against the case. i have seen them bent from dropping and hitting the floor.

what i find annoying is when i have a clock i've had to take apart a zillion times before i could get it running, and then it runs fine and then one day i look at it and it's stopped... so i very carefully remove the hands and dial (yet again) only to find that it had run down and needed winding. (yes, i'm that guy)

Tim Orr

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, New65!

If it's bent back only a bit, say 15 to 30 degrees, I agree with Bruce that what probably happened is that someone knocked the pendulum off the leader hook and the pendulum dropped to the bottom of the case, bending the rating screw when it hit. I just did that myself, quite literally, yesterday.

And about a week ago, I did what Bruce describes with regard to winding. After all that work, I shouldn't have to wind them too!

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Reactions: NEW65

Elliott Wolin

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2019
Williamsburg, Virginia
Country
Region
Yep, I just refurbished an Ithaca-style longcase clock and the rating assembly rod was bent 90 deg. And even though I tried bending it back gently, it just snapped. I think Timesavers has replacements...sigh...

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I've been able to repair a few with hard silver solder. You can also replace the whole thing with a similar size threaded rod hard soldered or brazed in place. You might have to re-thread the nut to match though.

Reactions: NEW65

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Thanks for all the replies.
I have not had one at 90 degrees before. However, any bend in the brass bar is high risk when it comes to trying to straighten it. I've found it best to gradually try and straighten it (using hands only!) by starting above and below the actual bend. Using two pairs of pliers directly either side of the bend is just too risky.
To be honest Bruce & Tim, I never thought about these bends being caused by dropping the pendulums as when I have (rarely) dropped a pendulum the threaded bars gave just snapped off. I just thought that maybe most of these bends were deliberately done by some owners after their clocks have been regulated? I see this problem all the time.
I know how it feels Elliott when they snap off!!! Sometimes if you are really lucky there may still be enough of the threaded bar remaining to prevent the clock from gaining... if not quite enough length, you could always glue some equally spaced out coins inside the disc.
Shutt, I have never tried my hand at brazing, I will have to check this out. Is it straightforward or is it easier to solder brass?
Thanks Chaps :)

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Shutt, I have never tried my hand at brazing, I will have to check this out. Is it straightforward or is it easier to solder brass?
Silver soldering and brazing are pretty similar. Both require high heat, so a two tank torch is recommended so oxygen can be used to increase the heat. Regular solder may not be strong enough to support a heavy pendulum bob for long. I also like a micro tip to keep the heat concentrated to a very small area. So high temp silver solder or brazing rod. Your choice. Be sure to get matching flux too. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidEckman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-