What have I got myself into?

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
While visiting in Denver a few weeks ago I made it known to some of the younger relatives that if they were interested in an old clock that they could pick any one of mine and they could have it. No takers. Much to my surprise yesterday one young couple said that they liked-----one of my Seth Thomas Chime clocks. It is not a Sonora because it is on bars but it has the rear chime movement and the front time and strike movement. How do I tell them just how frustrating these beasts are? Trying to keep them in sync is almost impossible. I'm afraid they will grow to hate old clocks. Should I gently lead them to another clock?

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
I'm sorry but I misspoke, that one has a home already but please pick any other. What is you second favorite?

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Tell them what your concerns are about it, and let them make their own decision.

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
Indeed, I agree with Dave.

I've never had a big issue with the Sonora chime movement going out of synch at the end of a wind cycle when I owned one, and they can be resynched by using the minute hand on the 89 movement using the usual "put the train into warn, then back off the minute hand a few minutes). The 89 movement on mine usually ran out of gas before the Sonora chime movement did.

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
I took Dave's route. I said that if they really like this one that I would spend some "time" with it. I know that I had to replace the spring in the back movement but the chime still runs slow even with that big spring. As Dick Feldman would advise, it needs a complete overhaul. I think there are only four wheels in the train.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Your young relatives are intuitively wise, and chose a valuable one. I hope they enjoy it! :D

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
Sad that there was only one couple who responded to your kind offer. However, if you want to expand your offer to include others . . . :p

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
If it wasn't for the fact that I have so many cast iron Ansonias I probably would. They are great clocks but HEAVY, HEAVY and HEAVIER.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Criseldis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller