Help What has happened to the Hyper Links on KEY words.

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by Jim Haney, Oct 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just answer an post from a newbie and realized that our old format would help out with key word by Hyper linking them to Encyclopedia information so they can learn about the subject and now we have nothing :???:

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We were having lots of complaints so I tightened it up a bit by changing some titles to not be single words.

If you are writing something and want to reference the Encyclopedia, you can always do so by using the WIKI tag like [WIKI="Hamilton Grade No. 947 Reported Examples"]Hamilton 947[/WIKI]

Hamilton 947

We can adjust this to any level we like and get more autolinking, but people were complaining about clock and bell in particular.

There is a larger issue that we still have no one to manage the Encyclopedia in terms of features and functions or promotion. I would like to do that, but I do not have the time it needs. We need to find someone who has experience as an editor and publisher who could be an active volunteer for the Encyclopedia.

3. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Without going to any trouble do you have the list of words that are hyper linked?
    If I suggest several is it hard to link them? I don't have experience with publishing but can help if needed.

4. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 Tom McIntyre, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    If there is an article that it would be appropriate to show when a word is mentioned, it can be made a synonym for that article. It is a little tricky, because if it is a single word it may get flagged in the wrong context.

If there are words that are right most of the time, they can be de-linked by enclosing them in PLAIN bbCodes. For example if Waltham is a hyperlink, [plain]Waltham[/plain] would show up normally.

In this forum, autolinks are completely disabled because they will almost always be intrusive.

They are turned on in the Practicing and Learning Forum, so it is probably easier to discuss the details there. I just created an autolinking thread there. Auto linking to the Encyclopedia

5. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not working again.

Dollar Watch

6. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim, it is set up to be automatic in Practicing & Learning. It is disabled in this forum.. I think that you can highlight the name and . click on the gold link in the tool bar like Dollar Watch or just type the codes [wiki]title of article[/wiki].

7. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  8. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim, we seem to be talking at cross purposes. I was asked to disable autolinking in the general forums. I kept it enabled in Practicing and Learning so we could discuss its use. We have never had a discussion of where it should be used and why.

Anyone who is knowledgeable about the Encyclopedia can easily insert a link to an article by enclosing the article name with the WIKI codes either by typing in the codes or highlighting the text and clicking the golden link at the far right of the toolbox in the editor.

9. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,
    By disabling all hyperlinks in the forum we are not doing any educational work to new or old posters who would benefit if they could click on the key word and go to the encyclopedia and LEARN about what they are inquiring about.

It seems like that the complains were justified because someone fouled up the hyperlink words by including common words that should not have been on the key word list, so in general conservation clock, watch, etc would be hyperlinked.

So if someone is asking about Swiss Fakes, Dollar watches, specific watch case companies,etc., they will not be able to learn about them because the knowledge is there but can't be accessed because someone decided that the thing to do is to get rid on all of the Hyperlinks.:(

10. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 Tom McIntyre, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    jim, the hyperlinks are not "key words" in the sense that a single word would be recognized. Instead they are matches to the titles of Encyclopedia Articles.

Anyone who knows about the Encyclopedia can respond to a question with a hyperlink by just using the title in their response and including the WIKI reference as I described above. Dollar Watch is a title and I just generated the link by selecting it in this post and clicking on the link symbol above.

The only time that is not trivially easy is when a new person accidentally types the exact title of an Encyclopedia article that could be automatically converted to a hyperlink but is not. Even then, a moderator may edit their post and make the text into a hyperlink.

These attachments show the sequence of converting Dollar Watch into a hyperlink.

upload_2018-11-26_12-6-31.png upload_2018-11-26_12-7-1.png upload_2018-11-26_12-8-4.png upload_2018-11-26_12-9-17.png

11. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,
    I get it, however, I doubt that Moderators have the time to do the extra work.

I was asking if a list can be made that automatically generate a link when the word on the list is used?

12. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is possible to create a list by assigning an alias or set of aliases to Encyclopedia Articles. Then one would need to determine which forums the keyword/aliases were appro[riate for and finally one would need to disable all the potential keywords that you did not want to appear in the forums where the facility was enabled.

Unfortunately I am the only one who can do the back end work.

It may require more permissions and a bit of study, but anyone can do the job of defining the aliases for the article titles.