What happened?

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Jun 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    We have little to no input on the Members News and Views.

Of course, I speak about our personal thoughts and postings.

Can we make this place a little more lively?

2. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well Dan, it is you that used to make this place more lively.

Haven't heard much about your cat lately,, or your other contributions to the NAWCC.

Perhaps things have changed in your life that such that you would like us to take over with more posts on this thread?

David

3. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Hello David S.

No; I have not been doing too much on the computer. You get "disgusted" writing stuff andgetting very and sometimes no replies, I could write oodles of stuff, but with fewor no replies the grass is not green.

In fact, I could write a complete book as to what happened since December 8, 1016. The story and incidents just keep writing themselves I do not like talking or writing to myself.

For a guy near102 years of age, certainly, I feel the ravages of time...however...the marbles are still clicking pretty good and the words will keep coming forth. But for me to write about this life time on earth and my 52 years as an NAWCCer. I must get responses that I find are fewer and farther between. Frankly, I'd love to write about this long lifetime and include many photos.

As for my cats...while I love dogs, cats are more or less a challengeto keep as a pet.

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    At least your stories would be recorded here Dan, and would be preserved for future generations to enjoy. It's true that most of us are lookers and not responders .... but that does not mean we're unappreciative. Like the modern Twitter generation, we tend towards writing truncated thoughts - limited characters.

5. the 3rd dwarve

the 3rd dwarve Registered User

Nov 3, 2000
    Alright Dan, I'll bite.

Do you think cats are more of a challenge to keep than dogs?

I have Airedales, the largest of the terrier breeds and probably the most obstinate breed of dog there ever was. All of my dogs have been rescue dogs so I don't usually get much history with them. Some of them have been in difficult situations so they can be a real challenge when they are first here.

They have all been worth the effort. They love you like crazy and break your heart when it's time for them to leave. I wouldn't change any of it.
    We try to get together once a year for some good food, good fun, and good stories. This is a picture of our get together for 2015.

I invite everyone to post a picture of their pet(s) here. I would love to see them all.

D~ 307226.jpg

6. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    i love your photo!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

i love your photo!!!!!!!!!!!

307235.jpg

7. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is the queen of the house, even more powerful than the wife. 307246.jpg

8. the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
    Hi Dan,
    It looks like your cat has a really hard time deciding where to take a nap?

Richiec,
    Beautiful cat, scary thought.

I have found that my dogs are happier if they have a companion. Are cats content to be alone in the house? Do they prefer it?

We currently have a pair that are siblings from the same litter. They came here from Texas and this was the first time they had seen snow. They love the snow and will stay out and play in to until they are exhausted.

D~ 307276.jpg

9. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, our cat hates all other cats, that is how we got her. He original owner died and her daughter inherited the cat but it did not get along with her cats. We had just lost our last cat and this woman found out and offered us the cat, we were in central NJ, the cat was in Hartford, CT. She had all the shots done and brought the cat to us complete with food, carrier, toys, etc. We have had her for about 6 years now.

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With cats, you can fill their food and water bowl, set out a fresh container of kitty litter and leave for 3 or 4 days. They'll take care of themselves. Can't do that with dogs :)
    We inherited a cat that was being abused by my in-law's other cat. My cat attacked it as soon as it entered the house. Here's how to acclimate the old to the new:
    take off a bedroom door, and build a wire replacement with holes small enough that the cats cant get through it. Put the new cat in the room, and keep the door closed. They can see each other, but won't be able to fight. Start feeding both cats at the same time, and over several days move their food dishes closer together. They'll eventually get used to the smell of each other, and will tolerate being close together. After they seem comfortable, switch them, so the new cat can have a day or two to explore the house and acclimate to all of the new surroundings. Then open the door and see what happens. My cats are not friends, but they do tolerate each other pretty well.

11. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    It has been said by guys that know this stuff about ancestral inheritance....Cats and dogs came from the same ancestor.

Who am I to dispute their findings. Hell, I never even went to public grade school beyond the 8th A.

I could have turned out even better than a genius!...Wasted nearly 102 years of my life doing other stuff. [52 in the NAWCC].

12. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Certainly agree with Shutterbug re leaving cats. Dogs are too high maintenance for me.

For as long as I can remember my mom always had a cat in the house....only one at a time. My wife's parents always had dogs. For the 50+ years my bride and I have been married we have had cats. When we lived in the country one adopted us..she was pregnant and was with us for over 20 years. Over the years as one died or had to be put down we would go to the shelter and get babies that were ready to be neutered.

The current one has an attitude, but I am sure she loves us...well I hope she does.

We spend the summers in our modest motor home that doesn't have a lot of room. I have my little computer area on the starbord side and Nan has her couch on the port side where she does her knitting, and her electronic keyboard up front. Not a lot of room to maneuver.

So that is fine. Our Cat Zoey decides that it is appropriate to lie on the floor between us so we can trip and do a face plant.

307290.jpg

David

13. the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
    Shutterbug,
    That's a very interesting technique, how did you ever think of it? With dogs we never bring a new dog into our yard to meet our dogs. We always hold the new dog somewhere down the road and bring our dogs out to meet them. That circumvents the territory defense reaction. Once they all get done sniffing we bring them home. I wonder if your procedure would work with dogs.

David,
    Duke likes to lie in the doorway of the family room so you have to step over him. I wonder if they do it just to prove they can.

I just spent the last two hours making about 12 gallons of B.A.R.F. for the dogs, which will last two weeks. We use Dr. Billinghurst's formula. Does anyone else have their pet on a B.A.R.F. diet?
    D`

14. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not on purpose:whistle:

15. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can't stand cats, hate them with a passion. I'm allergic to them, which doesn't help, but I'm allergic to all furry animals and I only hate cats.

It isn't their fault, and it is only the ones that are allowed out that I despise so much.

They are left to roam free by their owners who don't have to do anything to control their behaviour.

We have a whole host of wildlife visit our garden and most of them are at risk from the cats that are not welcome at all. They defecate in the garden and try to kill any adult and young birds or small mammals they can find.

We chase cats out of the garden, fit anti cat spikes where possible and spray the garden with a mixture of aromatic oils to discourage them.

16. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Holy smokes Nick, why don't you tell us what your really think.

I certainly understand the feral cat situation. At our RV park here we have all sorts of bird feeders up to attract as many types as we can.

We get our cats young from the shelter, so that we can "train them to tolerate the harness / leash" . We have tried it with older cats and they hate the harness with a passion. I know, I know, I just said train a cat, sort of an oxymoron, but when we get them young enough..they will tolerate them, even if they don't like them.

Of course we aren't allergic to them so that makes a big difference.

David

17. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They aren't feral though, just cats that people leave to roam free terrorising the indigenous population of wildlife.

18. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Got it, and not considerate on their behalf....gives cats a "badder" name.

David

19. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I sympathise with you, Nick. Nature is cruel!

What do you do to keep foxes, magpies, crows and jays out of your garden?

20. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cats are not naturally part of our garden, everything else is welcome. We get sparrowhawks using the visitors to our feeders as a takeaway. The female will tackle a blackbird or a pigeon, the male goes for finches.

Sparrowhawks have babies too, they need feeding. As do Jays, magpies and foxes. We don't get crows they prefer something a bit more open. We have a pair of great spotted woodpeckers use the feeders who would help themselves to a chick given half a chance but the birdboxes have steel surrounds to the entrance holes. Not all our birds use boxes of course.

We have resident pigeons, blackbirds, robins, house sparrows, dunnock, great tit, green finch, blue tit nesting in our garden, we also get the young of locally breeding goldfinch, siskin, great spotted woodpecker, bullfinch, starling, jackdaw. We also have a family of bankvoles by the back door, woodmice and the occasional brown rat, evidence of a hedgehog but we haven't seen one for a while.

From further afield we get the sparrow hawks, buzzards over head, and down the road we now have red kites.

The wildlife are welcome to eat each other to survive, that's not why the cats kill over 50 million songbirds in the UK each year.

21. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I was hoping for some good tips, Nick, especially on foxes! When we were looking after a puppy we couldn't let it out in the garden alone because we have so many predatory town foxes using our garden. We also have a local feral cat, and I take every opportunity to ensure that it knows it is equally unwelcome. I have to say that I find it impossible to distinguish between a wild cat and a wild fox :(

22. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The spray seems to work for the cats, I don't know if it would for a fox.

I fill one of the usual domestic kitchen cleaner spray things with my own mix. Olbas oil, peppermint oil, orange oil, lemon juice, and a drop of liquid detergent to help emulsify all that topped up with water and shaken often during application.

You have to respray after rain, I spray it around the boundaries particularly on brick and fences as it soaks in. Doesn't bother the birds as they don't have much sense of smell.

23. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I actually agree with Nick, but don't hate the cats. It's the actions of inconsiderate cat owners that make the issue. Cats should be controlled by law just like dogs are. If they are outside, they should be caged or on a leash. If allowed to roam the neighborhood, the owner should not be surprised if they come up missing. I have used live catch traps to transport the little darlings to the local animal shelter.

24. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We lived in the country when i was growing up. There were many cats roaming, my dad talked to police and the people that control animals. They told him if they go on your land you can shoot them. he did, i lost count how many were buried. Sounds cruel, but if you love your pets dont let them roam, dogs too, some did roam, and one did get shot, he was a mean dog that bit people. Many cats in the city roam, people are inconsiderate to their neighbours . I know a man who puts a leash on his cat and walks him. If you have a pet , care for it.

25. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Mmmm, thoat sounds delicious :D

I'm going to give it a try, Nick. I'll let you know what the local wildlife thinks of it :coolsign:

26. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good luck, here are some of our current residents

307444.jpg

Attached Files:

27. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Today we took our cat in for her yearly check up, and shots.

In the waiting room they have a very large cage with a number of platforms inside to allow the cat to climb and explore. This time the cage door was open, but there was food, water and a litter box inside. Shortly a lovely gray cat strolls into the room and comes over and greets us, rubbing us as they normally do.

I asked about the cat and the vet said that one of their customers was out driving and saw a car at the side of the road drop a cat off and take off. The customer rescued the cat and brought it to the vet, so it is now up for adoption. What a shame that such a sociable, mild mannered cat, estimated to be 1 year old, would be simply dumped in the wild to fend for itself.

This is the thoughtless act that leads to all the things Nick has mentioned regarding the feral cat population.

If I thought for one nano second that our cat would accept it, we would have brought it home.

David

28. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Several years ago, I came home to a very lonely cat running between my legs trying to get attention. Somehow I stepped on her foot, and when she jumped, she broke her leg. I carried her into the vet's office, and he was very busy. When I explained my dilemma, the kindly vet took me in the back and told me he would fit me in when he could. In the mean time, he administered anesthesia, and told me to wait in the waiting room with my cat. Before long my cat was limp, tongue hanging out and eyes wide and dilated . Other people were entering from time to time, and most gave me the most pitied look, thinking my cat was a goner and I was too late to save her. She thumped around with a cast for about 6 weeks afterward. :D

29. the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
    It's that time of year again.

She scares the birds off but I can live with that.

D~ 308081.jpg

30. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Awesome picture.

David

31. the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
    The poults have hatched.

They're bigger than robins already.

D~ 309930.jpg

32. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice. They can likely already fly up into a tree if threatened.

33. the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
    Harold,

They are so noisy when they fly. As far from stealthy as you can get.

D~

34. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And yet they can very quickly disappear into the forest like they were never there. They pick their evening roost along the lakeshore by my cottage, in pine trees with good viewing to watch for predators.

35. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My wife scares, easily and hates it when a bevy of California quail take to the air while she's walking our dog.
    Scares the hell outta her.

36. the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
    Hi Martin,

That noise and sudden rush of movement is enough to startle anyone.

D~

37. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I flushed a mature turkey while deer hunting a few years ago. He was so close when he took off that he threw sticks and debris all over me. Scared the bejeebers out of me!

38. Audemars

Audemars Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Somerset, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #38 Audemars, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    We had a cat. Got her from a farm, because we have a stream running through the garden, which is also in the country, so we got a few rats. The farmer assured us that his whole feline family were professional ratters and mousers and that we would have no more trouble.
    She grew into the most obscenely obese animal I have ever seen. If she ever bumped into a rat (which I doubt) she excused herself and stood aside. She had (probably terminal) dandruff and in later life had no sense of responsibility at either end. By the time she left us, some 16 years after her arrival she had the feline version of Alzheimers (no joking). The only entities towards which she was ever aggressive were me and my dog. She hated us both.
    I would have got rid of her years before her time but my wife - bless her - said she was one of god's little furry things and we had a responsibility to look after her.

Here she is - I rest my case.

311011.jpg

Paul

Attached Files:

39. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's the same scowl that my father in law's cat has. She hates everyone except him......and only tolerates him. I'm afraid that when his time comes, she will not be far behind! She's also WAY too fat for a cat.

40. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If we look back at the first post here, Dan asked if we could make this thread more lively.

Well there has been some discussion and Dan did pop in a few times, but lately Dan has not responded.

Dan do you want to start another Thread, or come on in and update us on your endeavors ?

David

41. the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
    The menagerie of young ones just keeps growing.

Can you find all four?

Enjoy,
    D~ 311586.jpg 311587.jpg

42. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep, all four :)

43. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    three down, one up.

David

44. the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
    Mother and baby stopped by today. 312314.jpg

45. the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
    We always get deer but we don't see fawns every year. I never get tired of watching them.

D~ 313297.jpg

46. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's one I stumbled upon when doing some filming :) It would not move an eyelash! But it did watch me like a hawk :) I do have other pics that are focused, but will hold those. I even hung around a good distance away and got it nursing from it's mom when she came back. 313299.jpg

47. the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
    Shutterbug,

She's beautiful. What size lens were you using?

D~

48. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All I had with me was my 50mm. I was up close and personal with her :)