What goes around, comes around

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Dec 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    We hear the term “What goes around, comes around.” Meaning it will go away, but it will come back. In my instance, very true, I started in 2004 making yearly calendars featuring my two cats Frankie Weiss and Johnnie I. In 2006, I had an epiphany…why not make a calendar featuring horologic material, watches and clocks, which has been a passion of mine for half my lifetime. I was a member of a Chapter, no longer associated with the NAWCC. Getting together via email with its leader, we prevailed upon the Chapter members to supply photos of their watches and clocks…and the Horologic Calendar…featuring timepieces was born.

Living a long life, it has had a number of phases; as a person with an oral stuttering problem all my life, I helped form the Philadelphia Chapter of the National Stuttering Project. As editor of its Newsletter, writing an editorial from which evolved Stuttering Awareness Week. In 1988, signed into law by Proclamation by then President Reagan; each second week of May is now known as Stuttering Awareness Week. It has been adopted by many countries overseas, celebrated October 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] of each year.

Incidentally, because of my stuttering, I was literally laughed out of school in the eighth grade. Having no further formal education, running errands as a young boy for a print shop across the street of our home, the Graphic Arts industry became my life’s work. Happily, it coincided with my mind set to explore the world around me, it helped to further myself in the printing and Graphic Arts industry.

Leaving one job to learn more in another, as the years went by, while I still stuttered; it lessened to the extent that I was brave enough to marry. The marriage lasted two weeks short of 39 years; my beautiful wife suffered a stroke and passed away six weeks short of her 84th year of life. We had no children…without Evelyn, my world and my home echoed with silence and emptiness. I needed life in a house that once was a home…going away to other horologic Regionals or Conventions and being away for days or more than week at a time, adopting a dog was not a solution. Fortunately, through a connection in the stuttering world where I lived all my life, I met a Veterinarian who enticed me to adopt two cats, they would be company for one another and for me. This happened in November of 1997, Frankie Weiss and Johnnie I and I, began to share our lives on December 4th of that year. The future of the calendars was assured by the many photos of my precious and loving housemates taken over the years in all stages of their growth. My next calendar was one featuring the many dogs and cats in our combined families. Then came…”what goes around, comes around.”

This morning, I received an email from a lady I never met, Pauline Dewberry who lives in Kent, England. She features a cat Forum “The Daily Mews” that goes worldwide. Her site is the recipient of the many short stories and book, I wrote, that features Frankie Weiss and Johnnie I and their numerous escapades. Pauline suggested I print a calendar showing the many photos of my beautiful four footed felines that are no longer with me for the year 2015. In answering Pauline, I suggested her many readers submit photos of their felines from which we could choose and even offer a prize to those chosen for this future calendar. The sale of these calendars would help subsidize her “wonderful world of the feline.”

“What goes around comes around…eventually.”

2. MDean

MDean Registered User

Jun 7, 2010
    Retired Elec. Eng.
    Northwest Louisiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for sharing the mews. I hope you have a successful collaboration with Pauline.

Her website, The Daily Mews, is certainly a wonderful site for cat enthusiasts with much to offer from humor and stories to health and welfare. I see that you are among the honored authors on this site with numerous writings.

Emit D

3. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    October 26, 2010, if you go to the first post ever on the NAWCC Member News and Views…you will see the “Dreamer in me lives on” spoke about a Founders Plaque that was about to delivered to NAWCC Headquarters, it also spoke about honoring our 50-Year members with Plaques to be displayed at our Museum in Columbia, PA.

While our Founders Plaque became a reality, the 50-Year members Plaques had to become a Virtual Display that anyone can see by opening the first post just above the Members News and Views. We have had well over 200 threads and more than 200,000 hits. To me, this proves its popularity and worthiness as a Forum on our National Association Watch and Clock Collectors Message Board in a little over three years running.

In the past, I must thank many people of the horologic bent, a few NAWCC Chapters, and some kind and special people who lent their talents to make these Horological calendars a success with all receipts going to the funding of our NAWCC. I have recently asked Markus Harris to try to use his influence as our NAWCC Communications Director to twist the arm of our Museum Director Noel Poirier to send me enough fine pictures of the wonderful clocks in our Columbia, PA Museum to make for an unforgettable 2015 Calendar.

Failing that…we will ask the two NAWCC California Chapters of which I am pleased to be a member…Chapter 75 and Chapter 190 to collaborate in creating a Calendar of both watches and clocks. Our members do have watches and clocks that are hallmarks of the genius in producing them…both here in America and overseas.

Further, in my last post I spoke of Pauline Dewberry of Kent, England, a fine lady I know only through our shared love for the feline, the domestic cat. Pauline for years has run a cat Forum “The Daily Mews,” just as I am...her members and readers are from all provinces of our wide world.

We have plans to create a 2015 Calendar featuring our loving, beautiful, independent and exceedingly secretive (loves) cats…these four footed magnificent animals will own you in ways you never thought possible. You can own a dog, a cat, never. Such is their magic over the human soul.

4. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #4 dweiss17, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    Knowing many of our NAWCC members do have animals in the home as pets, cats and dogs.

Pauline, my friend in England, whose site goes worldwide has explained to me a Forum is not a website. To log onto this wonderful place where we talk about the loving creatures we keep as pets please log onto www.thedailymews.com

Thank you, Dan