Please ID this Clock What exactly is this Swiss World Time Clock

comcpher

New User
Oct 2, 2022
Country
So I came into possession of a World Time Clock as a birthday gift. I assumed it was mass-produced and just went to Google to try to identify it easily... I was mistaken, the information on this clock hasn't been recorded in any easy-to-find forum or website.

Here's what I know:
  • It's awfully similar to a Imhof Swiss World Clock that I found several examples of. I've found plenty of variations of the clock, but not a single one that has the "Herz" logo on it.
    • Another example I saw had "Concord" in place of the Herz marking, similar to the Imhof example above. So multiple companies made this style?
  • An eBay listing claimed Herz was making clocks when Germany was divided between east and west. Herz is allegedly West German.
  • Using the previous knowledge, the clock is most likely from the mid 20th century.
Here's what I want to know:
  • Of course, I want to know exactly what kind of clock this is. I'm not looking to sell this and if it's actually valuable I'll return it to the gifter (they certainly had no idea of its potential worth).
  • What was (is?) the Herz company. I've tried finding real info about them but it only leads to eBay listings and little info.
  • If the other two options are not feasible, I would love to hear any advice on how to identify this in my own time. I'm not adverse to researching this myself, I've just run out of any other ideas.
Thanks for your time, I hope I can find some ideas of what this clock is!
Connor

I'll include photos here:
IMG_2012.jpg IMG_2013 (1).jpg IMG_2014.jpg

comcpher

New User
Oct 2, 2022
Country
Re: HERZ.
Courvoisier FrèresUhrwerke, Taschenuhren; La Chaux-de-Fonds

From Mikrolisk
Is Courvoisier Frères the maker? I couldn't find a marking in your link that matched the one of the clock face, maybe I'm mistaken. I also Googled the name and markings with a heart show up, but no heart-shaped HERZ markings.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
That's what I got when I typed Herz into Mikrolisk.

There appears to be a Swiss company that simply buys clocks from other makers and puts their name on the dial.
If you remove the back on your clock, it may well prove to be the Imhof you suggested.

A quick search showed me Herz branded clocks with Looping movements and others. Some appeared to be cheap Asian movements.

There was also an Austrian by the name of Herz.

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 10.46.20 am.png

comcpher

New User
Oct 2, 2022
Country
That's what I got when I typed Herz into Mikrolisk.

There appears to be a Swiss company that simply buys clocks from other makers and puts their name on the dial.
If you remove the back on your clock, it may well prove to be the Imhof you suggested.

There was also an Austrian by the name of Herz.

View attachment 729443
I'll take the back plate off here shortly... I looked into the M. Herz und Sohn makers earlier and I'm fairly certain this isn't theirs. I'll let you know if I find anything else out about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicobirdie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent