What exactly do they mean by “Run quantity” for a pocketwatch?

boldingm

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2021
Country
Can anyone please explain what they mean by run quantity for a pocketwatch? If you go to the pocetwatchdatabase.com website it shows model, total produced, etc. Then it also shows run quantity. I’m just not real clear exactly what that means. Thanks in advance.

Mike

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Welcome to the NAWCC forum!

They made these watches in batches and a run is one batch.
Total production is all the run's added up for that particular grade #.

Rob

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
and (to me)_... run quantity is of less significance that total production quantity...
nuttin 'special' bout a run of ten when 20k were produced.... or even 200k
but some may tweak that info for a selling point....

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
Does a small run of a high production model suggest that that batch was special order?

Private label, non-standard finishing etc.?

boldingm

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2021
Country
and (to me)_... run quantity is of less significance that total production quantity...
Thanks Terry! I guess in a roundabout way that’s exactly what I was trying to get at. I’ve seen run quantities at 30 and then also at 2,000 or more for the same model. I was just confused if a lesser run quantity was any “better” than a higher run quantity.

Mike

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
I agree to an extent Terry, but I DO care about run quantity when looking at watches that "break the mold" so to speak and I want to evaluate how likely/how common that variation is. In that case, though, I generally care less about the overall size of the run than I do the specific SN range it spans.

The site in question, among its many flaws, unfortunately also gives a lot of superfluous and really not particularly useful information like telling you the total production of all grades of the same name and not breaking the production of grades down by model...

Reactions: boldingm

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
I agree to an extent Terry, but I DO care about run quantity when looking at watches that "break the mold" so to speak and I want to evaluate how likely/how common that variation is. In that case, though, I generally care less about the overall size of the run than I do the specific SN range it spans.
yes, i am with you on that point or purpose of the individual run quantity... but just not as an initial "feature" of the watch... my thinking is 'if' this is a private label or some other weirdness, that feature is what is important and the run is then a tool.

and similar response to post #4....

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Can anyone please explain what they mean by run quantity for a pocketwatch? If you go to the pocetwatchdatabase.com website it shows model, total produced, etc. Then it also shows run quantity. I’m just not real clear exactly what that means. Thanks in advance.

Mike
It should also be noted that a “run” is just a block of serial numbers set aside by the manufacturer for a particular watch model. There is no certainty that all of the numbers in a run were completed and it is well established that, in many cases, not all of the movements in a run were finished at once. Production from one run might stretch over several months or years. The company may have merely produced a block of numbered rough movements, or ebauches, and finished them in response to demand. The actual production practices also likely varied from one company to another or at different periods in a company’s history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garyray
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-