What exactly are these Schaublin chucks and how do they work please?

Michael Gorham

Nov 4, 2011
What exactly are these chucks and how do they work please?

I have 26 of them, all Schaublin 6 mm in diameter and 28 mm long with no external thread, just a rear internal thread and numbered from 2 sequentially through to 1/8.

They are similar to jewel chucks but I cannot figure out what
they would screw onto or their purpose.

wa19098 (7).JPG wa19098 (8).JPG

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Looks like milling machine collets for a drawbar with an external thread. If I'm not mistaken I think they are Schaublin P6 collets.

If they are in a good condition and you don't need them, I'd think there would be a bunch of people who would be interested.

Michael Gorham

Nov 4, 2011
Thanks Karl, I have a table full of top quality vintage watchmaker's tools, most of which I know what they are, but as I only have one working arm for the past 40 years, I forget one or two things.

Plus a recent major brain seizure resulting in 4 days in intensive care has added to my memory problems.

I'll look on the table to see if there's a drawbar with the same external thread.

16029_a.jpg

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Wow... I'm sorry to hear that. Best wishes and I hope you recover well!

Are you saying that these are your tools that you have used before but due to your medical condition you have forgotten what they are?

Michael Gorham

Nov 4, 2011
To add to that, my wife is going through her second mastectomy, chemo, radiation etc but we both keep smiling through it all!

I used to be a watchmaker over 40 years ago but I was hit on the head with a hammer while being robbed which paralysed my left arm and leg and leaving me in a wheelchair.

I now buy and sell the relevant tools and watches to make a living as horology is the love of my life, along with my wife, of course!

But the resultant brain damage means I have to research a lot and you guys are so helpful I am extremely grateful - I'm sure most know what I'm up against here in America with the medical bills (I'm actually English despite living in an Indiana cornfield!)

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Glad to help out with what I can, my gathered knowledge is in its infancy but I'll shar what I can :).

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Best wishes!

/Karl

Michael Gorham

Nov 4, 2011
Thank you.

My father was a superb watchmaker in England but ended up coming to America over 45 years ago.

You might like to look at his father's biography - all this despite no formal education as it was interrupted by WWII - he ended up in America as chief engineer of Lockheed Aircraft and a NASA consultant.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/GorhamJohn.pdf

everydaycats

Aug 11, 2011
Mexico Beach, FL
Country
Region
I cannot physically remove the brass end of this right now but the thread looks to be the same.
224741.jpg
Michael, Would a small vise allow you to hold these items while working on them with the good hand? I suspect you have most of these things worked out, but just thought I would ask/suggest.

Michael Gorham

Nov 4, 2011
Good idea but put one hand in your pocket and try it - it's tougher than you think, especially tightening the vice while not holding the item in the jaws!

I did actually manage to do it but the brass knurled protective end is so tight it wouldn't budge.

I'm reasonably sure the thread will fit those collets but is that really a milling machine drawbar?

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
The rod with the brass knob looks like what is used to set depthing in a lathe chuck when doing jeweling work.

Kevin Scott

Aug 2, 2011
Country
The rod with the brass knob looks like what is used to set depthing in a lathe chuck when doing jeweling work.
Yes. It is commonly called a Stepping Device. Does the same thing as jewel chucks, but can be used with collets or work larger than the jewel chucks. It has nothing to do with your inside threaded chucks.

Tapers with various size ends go into the end opposite of the brass knob. The device goes through the drawbar and the tapered sleeve which is threaded fits tightly at the drawbar. And you use that piece to adjust the depth of the taper insert that backs up the work.
In the picture with all the tools, it looks like it is there with its tapers.

A useful tool to have when jewel chucks won't work.

Various WW and Geneva lathes have have various inside diameters of the drawbar. It is not standard. So your stepping device could fit a Levin, but not a WW Boley etc.

Sorry to hear about you and your wife's health problems.

Michael Gorham

Nov 4, 2011
Thanks Smudgy and Kevin - your input is much appreciated.

I just found out yesterday from my doctor's office that I was admitted to ICU due to acute respiratory failure due to status epilepticus so I'm lucky my wife was with me to call 911 or I'd be dead! And lucky not too many of the few memory brain cells I have left were not killed off too.

The stress that caused this was not helped by me driving a total of 2,000 miles to buy those wonderful tools plus dozens more boxes of lesser ones, but still worth it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pamula
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller