• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

What exactly are these for?

comet61

Aug 7, 2021
Country
Hey folks...first ever post here. I am working on a New Haven Tambour #56 Mantle clock (circa 1929) with a typical New Haven movement. This is basically the first WH movement I've worked on and was curious as to what these are. See pics. They seem to help in restricting movement of the pivots within the bushings. On the time side, the 3rd wheel has one on the front side and the 4th wheel as them on both sides. Is this a factory design or perhaps a clock repair? Just wondering as I have not seen these on other type movements that I've worked on. I consider myself still a novice as I am recently retired and am doing clock repair/restoration as a hobby. I find clock work fascinating.

I have Steven G. Conover Striking Clock Repair Guide page 10 and he has a section on the New Haven movement I am working on. It is identical to the one I am working on but these "items" are not present on the movement plates. Thank you for any insight.

WH_01.jpg WH_02.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
They appear to be a type of "home-grown bushing," put on by someone who did not want or know how to properly re-bush the pivots affected.

If I am correct, get thee to a clockery and have the movement overhauled properly.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
These type repairs are all to common.

Someone didn't know how to disassemble the clock and make a good repair. They just shim the pivot over a bit and make the ole baby go again for a while.

This could have been long long ago or recently but it should be made right when you take the clock apart. Look up, 'rebushing worn pivot holes' and 'removing solder'.

Welcome to the MB, Willie X

Reactions: NEW65

comet61

Aug 7, 2021
Country
These type repairs are all to common.

Someone didn't know how to disassemble the clock and make a good repair. They just shim the pivot over a bit and make the ole baby go again for a while.

This could have been long long ago or recently but it should be made right when you take the clock apart. Look up, 'rebushing worn pivot holes' and 'removing solder'.

Welcome to the MB, Willie X
Yes...I believe this clock was repaired a very long time ago. There are 4 inscribed dates of repair on the both plates dates are: 1932, 1945, 1947 and 1950. Nothing after that. This clock sat inert for at least 60+ years. The strike train still could work if wound. The time train was frozen solid. It's a nice project to work on.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I think if I new nothing about clocks and had to pay for it to be repaired in 1945 then 47 and again in 50 I would most likely give up as well and set it aside.

comet61

Aug 7, 2021
Country
I think if I new nothing about clocks and had to pay for it to be repaired in 1945 then 47 and again in 50 I would most likely give up as well and set it aside.
Yeah, I see what you mean. The dates could very well be when they were brought in for tune ups/maintenance. Initials of the dates are the same except the one for 1950. The movement is actually in fair condition.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I suspect the 1950 date is the origin of the makeshift "bushing".

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
At least this repair kept it going a short while and prevented it from being trashed, i still see people posting that they punch holes closed and seem proud of thir repair jobs.

Reactions: Jmeechie

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I've seen many clocks where several of the temporary repairs were not even necessary. Just clean that pivot up, remove the solder and that particular area is good to go. Willie X

comet61

Aug 7, 2021
Country
At least this repair kept it going a short while and prevented it from being trashed, i still see people posting that they punch holes closed and seem proud of thir repair jobs.
Oh. You mean like this? Sad.

WH_holes.jpg

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
Welcome Comet

This movement has been punched up pretty good before the home-made Rathbun-type repair was done some time ago. I think that punching was a commonly accepted practice back then so it's generally a good idea to put things in context when dealing with antiques. You, of course, will use commonly accepted current practices in servicing your clock.

Along those same lines, unlike Synthetics, Natural lubricants didn't last that long so you may be right. The frequent servicing may have been for inspection and fresh oil. Who knows? Does the "writing" look like it was done by the same hand?

Regards,

Bruce

comet61

Aug 7, 2021
Country
Welcome Comet

This movement has been punched up pretty good before the home-made Rathbun-type repair was done some time ago. I think that punching was a commonly accepted practice back then so it's generally a good idea to put things in context when dealing with antiques. You, of course, will use commonly accepted current practices in servicing your clock.

Along those same lines, unlike Synthetics, Natural lubricants didn't last that long so you may be right. The frequent servicing may have been for inspection and fresh oil. Who knows? Does the "writing" look like it was done by the same hand?

Regards,

Bruce
All dates have the same scribe initials of "PF then the date, except the the one from 1950 which has different initials and the date format is different. After that there are no records with the clock. The antique dealer bought this at an estate sale a few years ago as is. The seller told the dealer that it had been in an attic since the late 50's, early 60's after the owners house caught fire. The estate also sold a Junghas Mantle clock (bim bam chime) circa 1954 that I also acquired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elaine2211
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-