What Else Do You Collect?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Sooth, Sep 1, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A collector of Marklin for many years have always been fascinated with model steam altho never an owner of one.

2. Jim_Miller

Jim_Miller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Compared to most of you, I guess I'm a traditionalist collector. Besides clocks, I collect coins, stamps, sports cards and old tools. The tools are mainly heirlooms from relatives. My Grandfather was a smithy for Henry Ford in the early days, and I have the tools he handmade for his duty's at the factory

3. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your kind comment.

Yes, it is. It's ruby overlay cut to the frosted. Probably came from a drug store (I can remember when drug stores had lunch counters!) or luncheonette/candy store or another place that had a lunch counter. I had someone make the frame. Found in NH long ago in what was really a junk shop but worth picking around as goodies might be found every so often. Sadly, that place folded at least a decade ago. The good old days when one could go up and down one road and hit a > 1/2 dozen shops in an afternoon. Sure beats scrolling through items on a computer screen.

As an aside, I have had the opportunity to joke with people that I have "sandwiches" glass rather than Sandwich glass.

RM

4. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ah, those memories of lunch counters and soda fountains in drug stores, a time
    Woolworth's was called a 5 & 10 store and McDonald's had the most lousy burgers
    in town. Two and three color paint jobs on cars with fins and the milkman came every morning
    with a special made stubby-van. :D
    Allright, I still keep a small collection of model cars, scale 1:43 and I like Montblanc fountain pens.

Montblanc.jpg Models01.JPG Models02.JPG

5. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a Montblanc I haven't used for years - also a Schaeffers I actually like better - slimmer and better feel.

6. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Gee, they had all that mid-century Americana in Germany too when you were growing up??

RM

7. Weight Driven

Weight Driven Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    watches of course and 19th century paintings.

8. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No, not really... :D Life in Europe during those decades was exceptionally different.

But, psst, RM, I grew up in the City of Brotherly Love, which is... yeah! Philly, Pa. :p

Scottie, Schaeffer's, Papermate and others tried to get a foothold on the European
    market ages ago and failed. Parker made it.

9. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I did not know that.

So, do you like you Cheese Steak subs with sauerkraut:)?

RM

10. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wouldn't that be a 'hoagy'?

My great,great grandfather produced wooden cased inkwells in a business that bore his name. Once in a while I'll pick up a piece that I can reasonably attirbute to be one from this past on the auction site (usually because it doesn't include his name or some magic buyer attraction like 'civil war'.
    It is more having a part of family history then inkwell collecting. (He also made some clock cases as well as other cabinetry in earlier life here in CT, before the heyday of clock making)

11. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Seems they never had a rule to spelling "hoagy" or "hoagie", but yes, that was the Philly
    version of a submarine sandwich.
    I could die for an original cheese steak sandwich -leave the kraut... no way to get one here.

I'm getting OT, oh my!

12. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I have a small collecttion of inkwells/inkstands, mostly Bradley & Hubbard and Jennings Brothers, as well as the great U. N. Known. The four in the picture below, however, are among my favorites. The 3 on the left are signed N. Muller (yes, Nicholas Muller); the one on the right is signed Tiffany & Co. I got it for $70.00, buying it simply because I liked it. I didn't see the small signature on the underside of one edge until later after I arrived home and began cleaning the grime of the ages off it.

13. laumeg

laumeg Registered User

Jan 22, 2011
    Retired, health care
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, since there was talk about collecting pens. I don't consider myself a collector of pens but have obtained some interesting ones, so will show them. Generally I consider myself to collect alot of differnet things, another interesting one, is old spy cameras but that is another story. Follows is the pens: Picture 1: top-The Wahl Co. Chicago, a old led pencil, silver middle-Merchantile, Cresent Filler, Trade Mark, old fountain pen, bottom- Montblanc 343, 1960 fountain pen. Was my HS graduation present. Picture 2 Top- Schaffer Fountain pen, Middle- Waterman fountain pen
    Bottom- Montblanc ball point pen Picture 3 Cartier pen 2007 Celebrates Rock'n'Roll never used saved for investment. Picture 4&5 Mother of Pearl dip pen. Gold nib engraved Edward Todd & Co. NY, Name on top of the case is Jade & Olmstead, Kansas City, MO. These pens were sold try Tiffany NY
    Hope this will add to others with interest in old writing instruments. Charles

Attached Files:

14. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I used a stainless body Parker 75 in High School. Nice pen also.

15. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    What was the name? I have some inkwells that would seem to fit that bill that I believe are labelled "S. Silliman/Chester, CT".

RM

16. laumeg

laumeg Registered User

Jan 22, 2011
    Retired, health care
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I had mentioned that I have a collection of spy cameras but also have collections of guns, coins which all fall into an interest in antiques that goes back to my childhood. Many things started early and were added to over the years. Here is some pictures of cameras
    Picture 2 is spy cameras, all but one are by Minolta. The smallest is the little one on the right, still with its leater case and in perfect shape.
    The most memorable is the one in the center with the lether case in back, that is the one seen in all the old spy movies where they take pictures with a slide movement camera, thats it and in perfect working and cosmetic shape. Pictures 1 and 4 are of Minolta miniture camera, both probably never used and date in the 1960s Picture 3 are cameras that my father had, and the one on the right he made to take pictures using movie film, never found pictures taken with it. Finally latst picture is a Roleflex about 1930, again one my father had. It works perfect and still with its lether case. Hope you fine it interesting. Charles

Attached Files:

• 248.jpg
      File size:
      81.6 KB
      Views:
    • 245.jpg
      File size:
      91.5 KB
      Views:
    • 246.jpg
      File size:
      116.5 KB
      Views:
    • 247.jpg
      File size:
      93.1 KB
      Views:
    • 258.jpg
      File size:
      3.9 KB
      Views:
  17. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thats the one , Samuel Silliman is who I'm related to.

18. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Wonderful!

When I have a chance will post the 2 inkwells I own...I also have a small subcollection of what I guess I would call "treen".

RM

19. ClockMogul

ClockMogul Registered User

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1892 Simplex Electric Heater.jpg One of the earliest known electric heater. Its a Simplex 1892 Heater in heavy cast iron ..

20. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wonder if this was made by the Simplex Time Recorder company, who were in the Boston area (Gardner, Mass.).

21. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Harold, I am not sure about that, but i do know they made an assortment of early electrical appliances. There is a ID Tag but only says Boston with no street address...

22. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dunno; Seems there were many Simplex cos. Wasn't there a Simplex automobile? Simplex the company that became Philco. Seem to recall also a Simplex sewing machine.
    I had one spy camera someone gave me. Minox I believe. It's shutter was two steel leaves with a hole in each energized by a spring. Mine had a ripped springhole in one leaf. I replaced the leaf and had a working Minox.

23. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    If you're still out there Gilbert, here are the two treen inkwells made by your ancestor, Samuel Silliman.

They are both turned faux grained wood. Note the larger of the two has the addition of simple gilt stencilled decoration which actually depicts a quill with a scroll. They both bear the printed paper labels of the maker.

I have seen fairly large ones. Other decorative schemes I have seen on these are yellow ochre graining (quite nice) and eagle stencilling. I'm sure they came in a range of sizes and with varied decoration.

They are part of one of my other little side collections I refer to as "treen" which for me includes turned wooden objects especially if made of different colored woods laminated together, Mauchline ware, and carved wood objects. They're housed in a small glazed door oak cabinet in my kitchen. Guiding principals to acquisition are 1. do I like it? 2. condition okay? 3. priced real right? All this stuff bought 1 piece at a time over the years. Finally does add up.

RM

Attached Files:

24. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    untitled.jpg I 1861 advertisement city directory,Lowell MA.jpg I also collect barometers,here is one that is somewhat rare,they were in business for only 2 1/2 years.Applied for a patent in December of 1859 and received the patent in January of 1860.The company closed andthe partners returned to their original lines of work,a coffin maker and a daguerrian........Notice the name of the barometer UNION not unexpected from a Massachusetts firm

Bruce

25. bajaddict

bajaddict Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Brass Stuff :thumb:

:whistle: Give me a T for Texas, give me a T for Tennessee

Give me a T for Texas, give me a T for Tennessee

Give me a T for Thelma, woman made a fool out of me
    :whistle:

IMG_0019.jpg IMG_0021.jpg IMG_0022.jpg

26. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    How about pocket watch hutches...that look like clocks?

With all due respect to our watch collecting brethren, not particularly interested in the watches. Some of the watches in my hutches are respectable Walthams or Howards, others were junkers bought for cheap to put in them.

In the first pic, one looks like a rosewood shelf clock, the other, well, like a wood panelled banjo.

Next one looks like a turn of the century black mantel or even a slate cased clock...except here it's folk marquetry.

The next is in the form of one of those NYC 4 column shelf clocks. The apparent watch is in fact a glass novelty pocket watch with a printed paper advertisement.

The last 2 are in the form of tall case clocks. I especially like the first. It's decorated with a technique call decopage. The entire case is covered with printed images from Victorian magazines applied to the wood carcass and then varnished over.

I also like 3 dimensional pieces, either in shadow boxes or under domes. Sometimes whole little worlds were created using a variety of materials either singly or in combinations. An amazing variety of materials were employed including human hair, shells, feathers, wax, paper, cork, dried plants, seeds, lichens, mosses, taxidermied birds..you name it. Never ceases to amaze me what was created. Have accumulated quite a few examples over the years. Many people find this stuff Victorian horrors and dust collectors. I say the weirder and quirkier the better. The one shown is composed of feathers, shells, whale bone and paper. The ring of little seed like shells is actually a head dress worn by a bride. Her feather fan is mounted behind it. And check out the back of the fan. It's decorated with a taxidermied humming bird! Really the value is in the open work carved whalebone handle. A similar openwork carved whalebone handle is shown on page 204 in Flayderman's "Scrimshaw and Scrimshanders:Whales and Whalemen".

Calling Norman Bates!

RM

IMG_4746.jpg IMG_4742.jpg IMG_4743.jpg IMG_4737.jpg IMG_4736.jpg IMG_4513.jpg IMG_4514.jpg

PatH likes this.
  27. GjP

GjP Registered User

Jan 9, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use to collect Old Beer Steins untill i started buying old clocks. These are different pictures of my collection or what is left of them. I have been selling them off to purchase clocks.

George

MULTI7.JPG MULTI9.jpg

28. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    My typing and lousy proof reading failed me again.

It's decoupage not decopage.

My apologies.

RM

29. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1886 Westinghouse Meters.jpg

1886 Westinghouse Shallenberger/Westinghouse Volt and Amp meter. These have a plumb bob in them for leveling on the wall..Extremely early AC Meters...

30. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1880s Grenet Cell Battery.jpg

1880's Grenet Cell Battery with Double Electrodes..

31. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1879 Edison and Fixture Socket.jpg

This is one of the pride and joys of the early incandescent lamp collecting. This is a genuine 1879 Edison Lamp with Bristol Board Filament and Platinum Clamps.. It is affixed in its original bronze Edison Bergmann Fixture.. What a Howard Astro is to American Clock Collecting, this is to Edison Lamp Collectors...

32. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lamp C.jpg Lamp A.jpg Lamp B.jpg

I also collect early Radial Street Lamps..

33. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1886 Tachometer.jpg

1880's Tachometer for monitoring RPM Speed of Steam Engine

34. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Dont let Jeff M see this one :p That is one cool instrument,would have liked to have seen the whole configuration and "listened" to the operation as it ran.
    Bruce

35. coldwar

coldwar Registered User

May 20, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Here is a lead for you: I am about certain this resistance heater was made by the same Simplex concern known in railroading for their appliances used in motive power, coming to mind at once the famous Simplex reciprocating stoker used on USRA WWI era steam locomotives. I believe your heater was used on street and interurban cars in multiples in a early attempt to replace maintainance intensive coal fired coach heat in use at that time. Earlier appliance catalogs for the rail industry are available to confirm this. I further suggest as food for thought the French carbon filament heat lamp (with Edison base) heaters predate resistance heaters in stationary (home, business, farm) use until the much improved nichrome elements were then quickly developed by the 90's, thinking of perhaps a period of ten years previous. Best ~ CW

36. nwo4rf

nwo4rf Registered User

Jul 9, 2012
    I collect Lionel and American Flyer trains from 1900's to 1960. ( now have more trains than clocks)

37. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Dusting this topic off for a bit. Those desktop inkwells look in very good shape (the one desktop one I have appears to have survived a fire or something), the traveling inkwells are in much better shape.

As I had mentioned in prior post, Samuel (in his earlier years) made clock cases as well as other furniture. I was in Delaware earlier this week and was able to take a gander at a couple of his accounting books from the early 1800's . Couple entries from June and July mention clock cases built (also May) ranging from $20.00 to $26.00 , rather pricey for the time period ( I believe he was in Schoharie,NY at the time before he moved back to Connecticut)

ss1.jpg

38. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    an old thread deserving ressurection

39. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    OK, I will start. Apart from clocks I collect and restore antique cash registers.

JTD

40. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    ...from the First People of Canada, I collect their carvings and this one in particular as a remembrance of my Mothers passing. He is the Mourning Raven, in the Haida language san dawass Yahl and is done in yellow cedar and is 24 inches tall. He was done by an excellent carver who did very few items and then just disappeared many years ago.
    He is surrounded by good spirits rather than couginah (bad spirits) and watches over the departed.
    Just something a little different.................
    Bruce

raven 4.jpg raven 5.jpg

41. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is beautiful. These items and Inuit carvings are really hot in the market right now and commanding huge prices. We will see items like this come up at auctions around here from time to time and there is always great interest, pretty much out of my league.

42. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Neat thread that I hadn't seen before, it was an enjoyable read.

I have begun to collect and refurbish vintage audio equipment, I also have more than 300 vinyl albums. It's a hobby I can enjoy at the same time as working on clocks, I like nothing better than to put on some good music and get lost in clock repair.

Not really a collection but I'm also trying to learn how to play guitar with not a lot of luck. After a lifetime of office work my finger tips are too soft, the strings rip em to shreds ha ha.

43. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Recently have become interested in some "HIGH END" Wristwatches by Audemars Piguet and Breguet. This is my new Breguet 7077BB in solid white gold with several complications. All of this just to keep time..?

IMG_2218.JPG IMG_2219.JPG IMG_2220.JPG

44. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We live in a house stuffed with antique furniture, though it is only a 60s bungalow. As well as a lot of longcase and other clocks, I have pocket watches, scientific instruments, works of art, engravings and etchings, and model engines (steam and internal and external combustion). I also have a collection of silver, tableware and flatware, and a significant number of books, mostly reference books.

45. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Old reference books, particularly old Sears catalogs, either real or reproductions. I have 1897, 1900, 1902, 1908, 1923, 1927, 1933, 1946, and 1958 Sears catalogs, plus a Montgomery Ward or two and, for a dollar at the antique fair I just bought a 1930 World Almanac and Book of Facts, from which you can learn something new on every page.

M Kinsler

I also collect dust.

PatH likes this.
  46. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    #196 Jerry Kieffer, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Vintage and current Micro machining tools. First photo is a National Jet 7A drilling machine for holes down to .0001". (Tenth of a thousand of an inch)

Vintage Patek Philippe Watches. 5015 in the second photo but only handy not so hot photo`s and not one my favorites.

1930`s to 1960`s farm tractors and motorcycles mostly Harley and Triumph. I also build exact scale running models of each as time permits per third photo. Chopper was purchased while in the navy in 1967. Photo is a photo of a 1974 photo thus not as sharp desired.

Early twentieth century European multi barreled Firearms. 1933 German Drilling last photo.

Jerry Kieffer

DSCN3320.jpg DSCN2873.jpg DSCN2876.jpg KiefferJD1.jpg fullsizeoutput_e0.jpeg hd35.JPG 18653-08.jpg

47. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Antique fire and air raid sirens are another interest of mine. It's a field of its own - presented here is my Decot two tone siren made during the second world war. It served as a fire alarm siren for its service life between December 1941 to about 1990. Though not presently in working condition I did clean it up cosmetically for display. These particular sirens were usually turned out in red or silver gray.

3HPDecotEngineeringWorksShroud.jpg 3HPDecotEngineeringWorksSiren.jpg

48. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Odysseus liked Sirens, too:

bookcity-2016-letture-dallodissea-2.jpg

RM

Levi Hutchins and PatH like this.
  49. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A very different brood of sirens but sirens nonetheless. Ancient artwork was always intriguing in its own way so that vase makes for a pleasant specimen.
    Of course the original siren instrument was designed for underwater use, hence their named association with the mythical creatures. I never collected antique art but I do admire the ancient works.

I also like collecting model railway engines, either as completed pieces or buildup kits from the likes of Airfix. OO and N scale are my preferred sizes but I'll take anything there's room for. Here are a few, all of British origin - the red 'City Of London' is a Hornby Dublo product from 1957-1964. The green engines - City Of Truro and Evening Star - were built from Airfix kits. The black streamlined 'City Of Coventry' was adapted from an existing model.

DSCN9409.JPG

50. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    P-38s.
    No... Not the airplane.
    No,... Not the pistol.
    The trusty military can opener.

That and Hot Wheels cars.
    (But only the ones based on the 1965 Corvette Die because that's my other "collectible".)