What does this steampunk thing mean ?

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by sparkey0151, Mar 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User

Feb 22, 2013
    Also "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" Is basically what Steampunk is based on.

2. Accutronica

Accutronica Registered User

Nov 21, 2016
    I don't know about the others on this forum but I care nothing for SP. The only thing I'm doing is trying to keep them from ruining good parts. I can't do a lot but I do what I can.

Robert

3. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Registered User

Jul 21, 2008
    There are quite a few people who are into SteamPunk. Most people will purchase the items they will wear. There are few that create the SteamPunk art/jewelry/clothing. Even fewer horological items will be used for these art/jewelry/costumes. They will use anything and everything to make the art/jewelry/clothing as long as it looks Steampunkish. I know a friend who makes steampunk items and I don't think he has ever used a horological item. Another friend uses some horological items for her jewelry but she will buy a bag of watch gears for $1 to use.

The artists will rarely purchase a working and expensive horological item for their artwork/jewlry/clothing. The artist would prefer to spend pennies on the parts they use.

Of course there will be exceptions but I would not consider SteamPunk as a danger to functioning horological items. I do hope that people who do purchase jewelry or artwork that has some horological items in them may become interested in working horological items.

Functioning pocket watches are popular with SteamPunk people.

4. Accutronica

Nov 21, 2016
    I wonder why they couldn't think of a better name?

Robert

5. Mark UK

Mark UK Registered User

Apr 13, 2015
    My wife is into steampunk of sorts, she has always liked bangles and bracelets. If I need to locate a 'lost' watch chain I need look no further than her arms, she probably has half-dozen on right now!

6. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
  7. Accutronica

Nov 21, 2016
  8. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
  9. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User

Feb 22, 2013
    What has helped with saving watch parts is that Steam Punk has gotten so popular that they have made low cost pocket watches and parts for decoration and for use in making Steam punk designed items and clothing but I have also bought a lot of Elgin 0s and 8/0 movements some with good balances and hair springs at a very low cost from the artist sites ( guess I should not tell my secret movements suppliers).

10. PWfanatik

PWfanatik Registered User

Jul 7, 2015
    #30 PWfanatik, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Accu,
    Brother, I believe most of us want to keep good parts away from being punked.
    I say let them have the broken mainsprings and what we won't miss to keep them happy as it were...
    Dave.