Robert Gary

Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
I am working on a German GF clock movement which has a piece I have not seen before. What does the part the arrow is pointing to do, and how do I adjust it properly?

158.jpg

It seems to be an attachment or stabilizer to the verge crutch. The movement was made in Germany and this appears to be some sort of adjustment mechanism to put the pendulum in beat. When the clock is put in beat and the two set screws (on either side) are tightened to lock the mechanism to the crutch, the clock stops in about 15 minutes. If they are backed off the clock seems to function normally.

What is it for and how do I adjust it?

RobertG

Robert Gary

Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
I am working on a German GF clock movement which has a piece I have not seen before. What does the part the arrow is pointing to do, and how do I adjust it properly?

158.jpg

It seems to be an attachment or stabilizer to the verge crutch. The movement was made in Germany and this appears to be some sort of adjustment mechanism to put the pendulum in beat. When the clock is put in beat and the two set screws (on either side) are tightened to lock the mechanism to the crutch, the clock stops in about 15 minutes. If they are backed off the clock seems to function normally.

What is it for and how do I adjust it?

RobertG

tymfxr

NAWCC Member
May 13, 2005
Country
Region
Are you sure the clock is still in beat after you tighten the screws? You should put the clock in beat by loosening one and tightening the other until you hear an even beat.
Mike C.

M

mrb

It is a beat adjustment. By turning the screw you reposition between the pallets and the
pendulum section. To make the adjustment on most of these you have to back out one to allow the adjustment using the other screw. Once clock is in beat gently turn screws so that they both are secure.
Another type that you might encounter is an endless screw type setup in which you just turn the screw until you have the proper beat.

Robert Gary

Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
Thank you everyone. After reading your posts, this is the procedure I followed.

Using my Microset timer, with the two set screws shown in the photo clamped against the pendulum top piece, I set the clock as close to in beat as I could (about + or -16%). Then I adjusted the two set screws to fine adjust the beat to + or -3%.

Now it seems to be happy and has been running for about an hour, the longest yet.

Thank you again everyone.

RobertG

Robert Gary

Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
Same clock, another question.

This is a German movement that has now been running beautifully for over a week. It chimes a choice of 4 tunes on the hour. Whenever I am around it, it seems to strike and chime just fine.

But the time weight is descending faster than either the strike or chime weights, which both descend equally.

Is this ever normal? Does the rate of descent of the chime and strike weights depend on the chime chosen?

RobertG

M

mrb

if the time weight is dropping faster it means:
clock is not striking chiming
shut off
needs service
wasn't wound evenly

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Originally posted by RobertG:
Same clock, another question.

But the time weight is descending faster than either the strike or chime weights, which both descend equally.
Has anyone spotted that the chime is not working sometimes? If not, there isn't a problem.
Is this ever normal? Does the rate of descent of the chime and strike weights depend on the chime chosen?

RobertG
No - whatever the tune, it will give the same number of peals (1) every hour and therefore the same rotation of the chime train.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Gary

Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
Thank you, gentlemen.

Mike, are you saying that as long as the chime/strike operates properly every hour the position of the three weights to one another is unimportant?

Everything seems to be fine except for the position of the weights.

RobertG

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Originally posted by RobertG:
Thank you, gentlemen.

Mike, are you saying that as long as the chime/strike operates properly every hour the position of the three weights to one another is unimportant?

Everything seems to be fine except for the position of the weights.

RobertG
S'right, Robert. If everything works, that must be how it was made.

:biggrin: If it ain't broke, fix it till it is! :biggrin:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes, it's possible that a part was replaced that runs a little faster but if it's keeping good time don't worry about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ds23pallas
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller