What does "Eclipse" signify in the name on any American regulator

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by whcureton, Mar 9, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. whcureton

whcureton Registered User

Oct 27, 2010
    Retired
    Paradise, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Someone asked me this question today and quite frankly, I didn't know the answer.

There are regulators and "eclipse" regulators. Everyone seems to have made both ... E.N. Welch, Sessions, Ingraham, New Haven.

What does the term "Eclipse" mean as opposed to just "Regulator":???::???:

Thanks all

- Bill in Northern California

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There was a similar question a few years ago. If memory serves, the eclipse movements have a calendar hand.

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #3 Steven Thornberry, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Yes, the models called Eclipse Regulator did seem always to have a calendar. They were special makes that the companies (Metropolitan American Manufacturing and American Wringer) provided to their good customers as premiums. The name seems to have derived from the name given to a wringer made by the Metropolitan Manufacturing Company, later taken over by American Wringer. This earlier thread provides a bit of information that might serve as a point of departure for your further research.

Ah, and not to mention (which I almost did not), BTW, that the word/name Eclipse does carry some connotation relating to the passage of time, thus not totally unsuitable as a name for a clock.