What does eagle hallmark on A.W.Co. case mean?

Fosssil

Sep 25, 2009
Does anyone know the meaning of this hallmark on what appears to be a gold A.W.Co. case on a Waltham movement with serial #775620?

Note that this is NOT the same eagle hallmark that is shown in various books as signifying 16K solid gold.

Attachments

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
Welcome Fossil, to the NAWCC Message Board,

The eagle marking was not unique to the A.W.Co.'s case department. It was used widely in the 1860's by American watch case makers as a patriotic symbol, essentially meaning "Made in America." I believe that the use of this marking began during the Civil War, but continued for a time afterwards. The eagle device, which is not actually a "hallmark," was used on both gold and silver American cases.

Clint Geller

Last edited:

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
As noted in other threads, there were scores of makers that used an eagle mark. While not technically a "hall" mark, it did symbolize the maker and/or retailer. They all used different eagle marks. Several books discuss this in detail.

Eagles facing right, left, wings spread, wings in close etc etc all had different makers.

Jeff Hess

leghorn

NAWCC Member
May 3, 2003
Philadelphia
Country
Region
Hi Jeff

Could you name the titles of some of the books you mentioned; where the Eagle symbol is used to denote a particular casemaker, depending upon which direction the Eagle is facing.I have very limited references on Watchcase makers.Thanks

leghorn

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
Will do.

I am in Omaha today at the Union Pacific. Will post info tomorrow night.

BTW, I have posted this inof on here before.

Jeff

vandd

Jan 26, 2008
I thought i read somewhere that an eagle mark ment either 16-18K
like this photo of my lever escapement fusee
This watch dates from 1800-1850 area
the bummer thing is there was a d a dana in NH during that time period i just have to get everything together to find out if this was (his/hers)

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ds23pallas
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller