What do you want from a Board of Directors member?

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by Robert Gary, Sep 30, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #51 dweiss17, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Hello Robert:

As your friend, at the present time you have opened the Message Board to a lot of people, NAWCC members or not. We have at this moment 500 hits in a few days, that is good. What is not good, I count only 36 names that appear under this thread.

The dearth of signed in members I consider a flaw in the management of the Message Board. Another person took me to task for thinking out loud that I would like to see the names even pseudo names of those that view this forum. At least, we'd have some idea of how many people responded in reading this tread.

From past personal experience on the Calendars I produce…while Markus Harris put a blurb on top of this Member Views and News…I cannot recall one person who said they read that posting. This is over a year now.

My advice, if you really want our NAWCC members to read your posting of candidacy to become a BOD member (it would be refreshing if you were elected) you have to get the TOTAL membership list and email them individually with your thoughts on candidacy and ask them to vote you in. I am sure you know how to do that.

Another personal thought there is too much rubber stamping at the infrequent Columbia meetings of the BOD…I do know they also meet via the Internet at certain times yearly.

Robert as a 50 year member and an East coast friend and member of the California Chapters 75 and 190…I will do my best to appeal to them to send you to the BOD as a member who has the interest of this great organization of horology…at heart. We need a voice at these meetings.

Dan

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had the same experience the first few times I went to our chapter meeting. A local fellow had convinced me to come to the meeting, but he had a table to watch, so I was pretty much on my own. And as fate had it, someone had pilfered a few watches off one of the tables, and as the new guy, the suspicion was that it must have been me. My mentor stuck up for me, telling them that I was a clock guy, not terribly interested in watches. Turned out someone from the general public had found his way in. Security tightened up quite a bit after this, but it did take quite a few meetings before I felt comfortable with the people there. Our chapter executive is much more open now to new ideas, willing to try things that the members have said they want.

3. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #53 harold bain, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Dan, other than maybe advertising the message board in the bulletin to attract more of our members to use it (which I have suggested), I don't think message board management has any control over who reads what, or where. I think 90% of those who visit the message board have a specific quest (either identification, or how to repair), and don't stick around long enough to see what else we have to offer, or scroll down far enough to see forums like this one. That is pretty much out of our control. The other 10% are regulars but perhaps only regulars to the forums that interest them, also not spending the time to check out this forum.

4. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Harold:

Thatis why every chapter must have someone as "designated greeter". At Chapter 190, someone always sits at the front desk to sign in members and to meet and greet visitors. This greeter then calls over the chapter president, or sends a nearby member as runner to fetch the president, introduces the visitor to our president who then introduces the visitor around the room.

In the chapter I was referring to with the lack of greeting, I was the only person not sitting behind a table! There was no security issue, just lack of courtesy and interest on the part of the members.

5. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan:

Again, thank you for your support. This thread is only one of the many ways I will be trying to reach members. I will do as much as I can to get my message out, then it is up to those members who vote to decide.

6. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan I understand your interest in trying to find out how many people are viewing a thread. And I respect Peter's desire for privacy. Rather than stating how many members have viewed this thread....I can count the names if I wished. How about if it just stated "number of views for this thread" and that could include everyone even if they have their names hidden. No breach of privacy as far as I am concerned. That may give what you are looking for.

David

7. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Harold is there any form of advertising of the local chapter meeting other than on the MB to bring in public guests?

8. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David, I don't know, but could ask tomorrow to see if they have thought of this.

9. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chapter 190 has a mention in the local paper everytime the paper will run it. It is not every month that they run it, but most months.

10. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ok Harold, We are here in the Travelodge now waiting for the meeting and the new agenda.. Looking forward to seeing your tomorrow.

11. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kevin and all, it's apparent that some still think that NAWCC educational programs are "members only". This is not so. In our Articles of Incorporation one of our major purposes is to educate the public (and our members) in all facets of horology. By definition, all NAWCC sponsored educational programs are open to the public, whether they are free of charge or require a fee to participate. This includes chapters, regionals, the National Convention, the FSW program, and courses offered in Columbia. As Robert mentions several chapters do this routinely but some don't and should. The Chapter Relations Committee has promoted open education to all chapters through their newsletter, it would be great if we could get more to participate.

12. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: