What do you want from a Board of Directors member?

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by Robert Gary, Sep 30, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have submitted my nomination to run for the NAWCC Board of Directors. Assuming my nomination is accepted, I will be posting my platform/objectives as soon as the thread allotted for this purpose is activated. In the meantime, I have a question for each of you NAWCC members:

What do you want from your BOD members? What do you want as the future of the NAWCC?

If you want to discuss this, or anything else pertaining to the BOD, email me at: RobertGary-NAWCCBOD (@) verizon.net (omit the spaces and parenthesis, of course). If you would rather discuss this by phone, email your phone number and the time for me to phone you to that email address.

Robert Gary
    formerly RobertG on this board

2. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Should Robert Gary become a candidate for Director of the BOD...knowing him personally...a vote for him would add fruit to the NAWCC basket of goodies.

3. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Robert:

These are some of the qualities and characteristics I expect of a board member:

1. Dedication to the mission of the Association: Education. Although buying and selling may be fun and profitable, it is not the mission of NAWCC.
    2. No personal agendas inconsistent with the Association's mission.
    3. Someone who volunteers to champion one or more significant projects or initiatives important to the Association. Take the lead and follow through.
    4. Promote and encourage fundraising. Lead by example here.
    5. Share your knowledge with others.
    6. With regard to board meetings: The purpose of debate is to convince those with undecided or opposing views to come over to your side. Be clear and convincing, yet concise in your debates. Use real data instead of shooting from the hip. If you can't make your argument clearly and concisely, you will lose the attention of other board members. It is an unfortunate fact, based on the 26 physical board meetings I have attended, that there are always several board members who, during your debate, will tap away on their laptop computers reading their emails, watching YouTube videos, checking eBay, and such. It is rude to the debater, but if you don't grab their attention they will do that. I would also expect you to give other debaters your undivided attention.

Good luck on your campaign!

Frank

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd like to see BOD members ACTIVE on this bulletin board! They seem an aloof group, not really interested in member views.

5. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Shutterbug:

That's no. 5 on my list. But just look at the list of members who have read this thread: only one board member!

Frank

6. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #6 dweiss17, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Frank, Shutterbug and Robert:

It may have been about three years ago (maybe a little less) I postal mailed a letter (expressing my thoughts) on how to increase our membership to the twelve Officers and Directors of our NAWCC organization. (My computer crashed about a year ago,) and I lost a tremendous amount of information I had gathered over my many years as a member of this great National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors.

In reply, I heard from only two of the twelve to whom I had written suggesting ways to stop the loss of membership, and ways to let the younger people in our schools of higher learning become aware of this horologic institution. The rest just ignored my letter mailed to them. I was only one tiny grain of sand on the great beach of horology.

One of the two replies (from Directors) thanked me for my letter, the other wrote a long email expressing his frustration at the meetings of this group, and his thoughts in regards to the bleeding of loss of membership. He predicted at that time…we would have between 10,000 and 15,000 members if nothing was done to stop these ongoing losses.

It does not take a genius to know we now have less than 15,000 dues paying members and the bleeding will continue unless a protracted comprehensive program is put into place that will let the younger public in our higher schools of learning know who we are and what we do in order to save our historic past in the world of horology.

In another posting to come later I will try to present my thoughts in order to substantially increase our NAWCC membership and stop the current bleeding. As a 50 year member of this organization…I remember when we had over 38,000 NAWCC members. Of course, attrition will always play a part in our membership loss, so will unthinking people who may tend to represent us in the workings of this horologic organization.

Dan Weiss NAWCC #8331

7. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Robert Gary, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    Thank you all for your input. It will be very helpful if I make it onto the BOD.

Shutterbug: I have been active on this board since 2003, but for most of that time I signed my posts as "RobertG". For the past approximately 1 year, I have expanded my signature to my full name. Several current members of the Board say they do not use this MB because they have been subjected to harsh, personal, and unjustified attacks. I personally consider that as merely something that goes with the job. In any position of authority, elected or otherwise, one must have a thick skin. If elected, I will do my best to have the hide of a rhinoceros.

Frank: I agree with everything you posted. We must find a balance between supporting public education/outreach to meet the IRS requirements and supporting and supplying value to our members. We cannot survive without members, including recruiting new members, and the best way to reach the mass audience from which to recruit those new members is by public education and outreach. They are not mutually exclusive. In response to your point: "1. Dedication to the mission of the Association: Education. Although buying and selling may be fun and profitable, it is not the mission of NAWCC." The NUMBER 1 reason given for current members leaving the NAWCC is: "I don't need the marts anymore. I sell and buy everything on-line." Thus, we must provide services that will make members want to stay. The NAWCC simply cannot compete with on-line markets, and it will never be able to compete with them. We must get caught up with the technology, services, and programs necessary to retain members.

Dan: In his eNewsletter of August 24th, Executive Director Steve Humphrey addressed the current BOD program to address the decline in membership. Steve stated: "Pam Lindenberger, manager of member services and I had our initial meeting with the staff from Marketing General to start on a plan and then testing of methods for membership recruitment. They are extremely knowledgeable and we picked up some good ideas to use in other areas of member services and member communications. The contract officially starts in September and will run through the end of February. Our overall goal is to see whether through various avenues we can recruit about a 1,000 new members. They will also be reviewing our join process, renewal process, literature, communications with new and existing members and other areas that influence membership recruitment and retention."

I assure you, Dan, that any legitimate correspondence I receive should I be a BOD member will not go unacknowledged.

Robert Gary

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Robert! May you start a turn around in the BOD! I agree with you - thick skin is a requirement. What business manager, owner, director, never had a negative word spoken to him or about him? I'd say NONE :)

9. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #9 dweiss17, Oct 2, 2014
    Today's date October 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] 2014, make me a 50 year member of the National Association of Watch and Collectors. Just imagine, spending more than half your lifetime in an organization that gave you an outlet of discovery in the world of horology. Not only did it make life more interesting with such a wonderful and respectful hobby…it was and is a boon to your health, and at the same time opened a world of strangers for you to know, to communicate with, to share your horologic knowledge with, to buy and sell to each other in a confident manner through your bond in this horologic organization.

Yesterday, in my posting, in reference by some one being a candidate expressing a desire to become a member of the (BOD) Board of Directors of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. Asking the membership for their input as to what as a Director should be or do and would possibly accomplish. My thoughts turned to stopping the membership loss by increasing our membership…through yet to be tried methods that found no favor in the letters I sent some years ago to the twelve Officers and Directors serving our membership at that time.

We are fortunate to have a high number of extremely erudite organization members who have the credentials to go into the higher schools of learning they graduated from. I would like to see these men and women contact their Alma Maters in the matter of presenting a set program in the art of horology to their students of today. I think most high schools and colleges and other learning institutes would welcome their former students in presenting such a program to their present classes of students.

The program:
    Voice giving a little talk on the history of horology, showing of slides, of past and present clocks and watches, with examples of a clock and a watch that would allow the student to see them in operation, to touch them, to see the mechanism and artistry that goes into a mechanical timepiece. This theme could be greatly expanded by our "powers that be." I do not even have a grade school diploma…I do not have the wording, the skill, or the knowledge to create such a program that would be presented by our members to these schools. We have NAWCC members across the breath of the
    United States who would excel in such a presentation.

We need the volunteers to create this program, and we need the volunteers to present the program, and we need to go to the younger person to join our great organization…we the present members…most are adults…are not going to be around in the next 20 to 30 years. Attrition will take its toll.

The wise man who wants to catch fish…goes to where the fish are; we need to bait them with a period of free membership, we need to invite the "fish" to our Museum to see for themselves the wonders of our Museum of Horology. We have a lot to accomplish…only…if we have the will to do so!

10. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan:

You have some very good ideas here. Chapter 190 has offered horology courses through the local community college with a resulting growth in members for the chapter. Unfortunately, as the schools endured budget cuts, many of these courses were dropped.

The Los Angeles schools offered clock repair classes after normal school hours for years, but they were dropped several years ago do to lack of enrollment. There are just so many competing interests for the students today: sports, music, band, special interest clubs such as science, chess, etc.

It is always a major challenge for schools to fit everything available into their curriculum, most of which is determined by state regulation. They are pressured constantly from non-school sources to add classes that the outside forces desire, from religiously oriented classes, to languages, to history, shop, politics, etc. The schools have very limited time each day to teach all that should be taught, so the school boards must be extremely tight in what they choose to teach.

Every school district is different and has different needs. Each local NAWCC chapter can approach their local schools and offer to make presentations and/or courses. I am sure Columbia would be willing to offer assistance to any chapter that chooses to do this, but it is not something that can be done from the national level. The manpower requirements alone would be unattainable.

The fact that Columbia had to drop the certified horology classes due to lack of enrollment reflects this reality. The demands of the world are just different today.

Robert Gary

11. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #11 dweiss17, Oct 2, 2014
    My friend Robert:

My thoughts dealing with my posting are not quite the same thing as what you have posted. We are not selling anything by inviting high school or college students to enjoy a tour of our Museum of Horology. I understand to a certain extent, we would be restricted by distance from the Columbia, PA Museum. I have no idea how to pay for the buses that would be used for transportation to and back from the Museum.

Are there grants awarded for such things, would some angel (wealthy individual) step up and take up the cause of paying for these bus trips?

Offering these visitors a free NAWCC membership for a certain length of time would cost us nothing and would create a feeling of doing good…plus it would help our mission in educating the public about horology.

It makes me wonder? I am sure many watches and clocks reside in the student's home and in the homes of their relatives that have not seen the light of day for many years. Visiting our Museum could go a long way in unearthing these horologic items that would create an interest in the student and in our horologic world.

Nothing will be done…unless we make up our minds to do something that will create the extra traffic visiting our Museum…we need to bait the hook! I'm sure we can get the visitors…if we had the transportation for them. The states surrounding Columbia, PA are the lakes and rivers in which we should go fishing for an influx of younger people who may save our HorologicMuseum for future generations.

Robert, let me give you a few instances of things that happened because I had perhaps the foresight and the will to make it happen…the NAWCC would never have had the below items if it did not come from me.

1) The Member News and Views
    2) The Virtual Plaques
    3) The yearly NAWCC Calendars featuring our watches and clocks.
    All monies from sales going to the NAWCC funding for the last 6-7 years.
    4) I cannot take credit for this…but as a member of The 1943 Heritage Society
    I will leave about half of an annuity of five figures after my heir passes on.

Last but far from least…if you Google…National Stuttering Awareness Week…you will see a number of URLS of that name, look for the one that has my name under the blue heading. President Reagan signed the bill. It is also celebrated every October 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] overseas in many other countries.

12. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #12 FDelGreco, Oct 2, 2014
    Robert:

A couple of comments. First, the thinking that:

The NUMBER 1 reason given for current members leaving the NAWCC is: "I don't need the marts anymore. I sell and buy everything on-line."

… is out of date. It was the case in the late 1990s and in the first half of the first decade of this century. But not anymore. Those people are already long gone.

HQ had a company in 2008 do a telephone survey of those who did not renew. The surveyor wrote down their responses word for word in a spreadsheet. Steve then asked me to sort the data into categories and do an analysis of the more than 500 responses. Essentially no one gave that response.

A significant number of responses were (paraphrased), "I joined NAWCC to be educated about clocks (or watches) and NAWCC didn't educate me." This is really bad. We whose mission is education of the public either didn't (or still don't) educate the public OR how we educate is not how the public wants to be educated.

There were other categories like "lost interest," "just joined to find out about my clock or watch," etc., but the big shock was about our failure to educate in the public's mind.

Frank

13. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan:

I know that the museum has frequent events for students of all ages from the surrounding area. How far that area extends is up to the schools because they have to provide the transportation and they must justify the time out of the classroom. I know the museum has activities that even include sleepovers in the museum. If I am elected to the Board, I will look into the potential of expanding on these programs.

Frank:

I have requested the most recent exit poll results from National and will get back to you. The most recent report given to me just a month or so ago was that not needing marts is still the #1 reason, but I will check it out in more detail.

I know that the lack of education reason is also a top one, the question there is: Why did they think they were not educated and how do they want, and expect, to be educated? With answers to those questions we can work to eliminate that as a viable reason. Hopefully, the on-line courses NAWCC is now beginning to offer will help fulfill this shortcoming.

Robert Gary

14. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The other glaring issue in decreasing membership that has not been noted yet, is that younger people have no need for mechanical clocks. They have phones and a huge assortment of quartz clocks at their disposal that do a much better job of keeping time.
    The mechanical clock, unfortunately, is becoming a dinosaur. Mechanical watches are still holding their own, but are heading in the same direction. The X generation just is not going to develop the love that we have for them.

15. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unfortunately, this whole thread has turned into a discussion among only four members with only 32 people viewing, including only one board member.

Frank

16. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Frank. Because I know I have hijacked a thread before I have been reluctant to post. However I am very interested in any discussion that would increase our membership, but that isn't really Robert's original thread intention.

To follow up on what SB said. I think that any younger person wanting to get "into horology" would because they are really interested in the history of old and varied time pieces. I would think that would be a rather small group. The other as Dan suggested is someone interested in getting "gramma's old clock going". The problem as I see it is that the younger generation wasn't brought up in a "fixable / repairable world".

When I was younger alot of us would routinely change our car's oil, points, condenser, spark plugs etc. Very few do this any more.

I used to repair appliances and electronic devices. It was easy, they were designed to be repaired. Open them up trouble shoot find a transistor or generic ic that was defective replace ..good to go. I gave that up with the special purpose ic's and surface mount.

The younger generation that I know, don't know how to fix anything although they can sure trouble shoot my laptop issues.

I did a bit of checking out the hobby / rc model industry, they indicate difficulty attracting new younger members as well.

So when it comes to interesting new younger people to horology as a hobby like many on the clock repair forum, I think it will be a tough sell. We first have to tell them what a screw driver is and its purpose.

17. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Further to my last post. I wonder if there would be any benefit to "link up... become friends with" another website that shares mechanical interests. Besides the NAWCC I am a member of only one other Forum.."The hobby machinist". They have all sorts of categories, and one of them is horology. It doesn't get used as much as I would like but it is there. They are a non profit site as well, and one of the nice things is they don't tolerate disrespectful behavior. This is just one, perhaps there are others that could be linked with.

18. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Things are changing. Our recent Eastern States Regional in Syracuse put on a days worth of workshops with the beginner in mind, showing such things as mainspring winder use, cleaning movements, replacing bushings, replacing pivots, etc in an informal setting with hands on education. It was well received by those in attendance. Our chapter is trying something similar to go along with workshops on specific repairs. Members are invited to bring their troublesome clocks in and those who are experienced in repairs will troubleshoot it, and suggest repairs needed.
    Robert, we do need some fresh ideas from the BOD, and I do wish you the best. I know it is a big commitment to serve on the BOD, and you impress me as someone who could make a difference.

19. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Harold what was the demographic like? Did they bring in what I will call younger members, or perhaps more members in our age group? I mean there is nothing wrong with trying to find 50+ year olds that know what a wrench is. I guess my interpretation was that we may looking for a lot younger folks.

20. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pretty typical for an NAWCC event, David. I did meet quite a few message board members for the first time. Not a lot of younger people, but a few. It did give people interested in being educated an opportunity to see first hand what is involved in proper clock repair, and gave an alternative experience to just having the mart as the focus of the meeting. We also allowed non-members to come to the meeting for a $25 fee, which included a 4 month NAWCC membership.

21. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #21 dweiss17, Oct 3, 2014
    Frank, Shutterbug, Robert, David (and me) and the rest of the 34 names listed as who have viewed this thread…"What do you want from the Board of Directors?"

This thread has had some 246 hits. Perhaps 20 of these hits were from the four participants as Frank has noted. I understand you can request to have your name not recorded as a viewer of any NAWCC thread. I suppose a non-member can view these threads, but he cannot reply or post anything. Certainly that can and may happen.

I think that is a frightful mistake by whoever suggested it take place. Were I a BOD member I would fight for a change…any viewer of any thread must post his/her name even if they use a pseudo name or title. At least that would give us inkling as to the people viewing our threads.

What is the thought behind that? Are we ashamed to say we viewed a thread? I know on the Members News and Views we get about 50 to 60 visitors a day. Since its inauguration it has had roughly 200,000 hits. In any of the near to (I think) 300 threads only certain names show up as they have permitted their names to be shown under the bottom of each thread posted.

22. leeinv66

leeinv66 Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Male
    Industry Specialist
    Launceston Tasmania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #22 leeinv66, Oct 3, 2014
    Dan, I could not disagree with you more on this topic. If I walk into a bookshop, pick up a paperback and read its back cover to get an idea of its content, I do not expect to have to sign my name to let everyone know it had caught my eye. Further, if I decide not to buy that book, I do not believe I am under any obligation to share my reasons for that decision. That is, unless I choose to do so. I see reading a thread in any of the NAWCC forums the same way. It is nobody's business except mine what I happen to read, unless I choose to share. Your assertions that you have a right to know who reads your threads and that members who do not want their viewing habits made public must have something to hide are self serving and exhibit little regard for the views of others. In my opinion.

23. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David and all:

The U.S. census shows that there are well over 60 million Americans 55 years and older. Maybe it's easier to go after them than to try to entice "younger" people, whatever that is.

But let's get back to the thread topic. Robert: If elected, what would you contribute as a board member to the membership issue (sorry for putting you on the spot)? In my opinion, most board members, after having tried a few ideas here and there that haven't worked have thrown their hands up in the air and said, "Let a professional handle it," and approved a big chunk of money for that. What if that doesn't pay out?

Frank

24. leeinv66

leeinv66 Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Male
    Industry Specialist
    Launceston Tasmania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not so sure Shutter. Electric clocks have been around for a long time. I know I grew up with them. In fact, I recall we had a mains powered kitchen clock that we used to set the time on our mechanical clocks as it kept much better time than any of those. I think a mechanical interest is something you are born with.

25. leeinv66

leeinv66 Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Male
    Industry Specialist
    Launceston Tasmania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I want them to listen to the whole membership and not just the small group that had them elected. As an overseas member, my only contact with the association is via this message board. Given the history of BOD member participation here, I can only conclude they have little interest in my views.

26. scottmiami

scottmiami Registered User

May 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I tend to agree with Peter on the right to read what I want to read, choosing to comment on what to comment on, etc, is our choice, and doesn't necessarily have to be shared with the world. However, mods & admins can already have this info, at least it's a good transparency policy that it is shared with other logged in members.

However, with that said, I would like to respond for at least some of us that may have viewed the thread (as well as others), and have not commented, at least from my perspective.

I only joined earlier this year, and simply don't know enough about the structure of the organization to comment, therefore I'm just absorbing information as I get deeper into things around here. I suspect many of the others that have viewed this thread similarly have not been involved long or deep enough to feel they could contribute anything positive to such a discussion as of yet. Also, many of us still work and /or have families to take care of at home, and simply don't have the time to get as involved as they would like to be.

27. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Having worked in a company in Canada with headquarter is the US of A. I found that headquarters thought that they were the center of the universe. even though we had companies in mexico, Europe and Asia, global didn't seem to sink in. I would hope that the NAWCC is more inclusive considering their global reach.

28. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    leeinv:

Please understand nowhere in my recent post did I say "I have a right to know who reads any post
    on the Message Board."

I am sorry you misread my thought. (I had to reply.)

Dan

29. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #29 Robert Gary, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Frank:

In my opinion, getting our organization up to date in the world of technology is essential. The up and coming generations, and by "younger people" I mean any generation after the baby boomers (I am a boomer), live in a high tech, immediate information world. As long as the NAWCC remains in the "order it from PA and we will mail it out" mode, we will never recruit meaningful numbers of new members. I would like to see such innovations as live streaming of presentations made at local chapter meetings so everyone in the world can watch as each presentation is made. The resulting recording would then be placed in the National's library. There are huge technological issues to be addressed to do this, but it is the future. No organization can live in the past and survive. There are numerous other such programs the NAWCC can provide technologically, but we must get up-to-date as we are years behind in this area.

Another area we must change is the concept that we are an "antique" watch and clock organization. Nowhere in the organizations documentation is that type of limitation made. It exists only in the minds of members. We are an organization interested in all things time; past, present and future.

I recently spoke to the Executive Director of the NAWCC's equivalent organization in Germany. He brought up the topic of the two organizations problems retaining and recruiting new members. They are now on the upswing in attracting new members. How? By reaching out to the largest, fastest growing segment of current watch and clock aficionados: modern wrist watches. The NAWCC has begun addressing this issue with the emagazine Watchnews at: http://watchnews.nawcc.org/ (It is on the left column of the NAWCC main menu), but greater efforts to attract this group must be made. And, current members must be encouraged to drop the attitude that we are about antiques only and to welcome those in area areas of interest. We are about all things time. How many of our members know that watches are currently being made in Detroit http://www.shinola.com or that watches are currently being made in Los Angeles http://www.devonworks.com/ ? Not many, I would bet.

We need to explore more, to us at the moment, peripheral areas of time, one such is sundials. There are thousand of members of sundial associations that would probably be very interested in the NAWCC if they only knew we existed, just as most of our members do not know that sundial collectors and associations exist.

We must also reach out to lovers of atomic time clocks and other modern related fields.

If we are to grow, we must open both our minds and our arms to others. If I am elected to the Board, I will do exactly that.

Robert Gary

30. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Robert,
    What are your thoughts on increasing interest/participation in the BOD election process? If memory serves, only about 10% of NAWCC members bother to vote in these elections. For those involved in other, similar groups, is this a fairly typical participation rate?

31. leeinv66

leeinv66 Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Male
    Industry Specialist
    Launceston Tasmania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Sorry Dan! I tend to have a strong writing style and at times use wording that is too forceful. You said "At least that would give us inkling as to the people viewing our threads". not that you had a right to know who is reading your threads.

32. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave:

The NAWCC is very unusual as a not-for-profit in that its BOD is elected by the members. Virtually all not-for-profits have BOD members appointed by outgoing BOD members and they are typically recruited from deep pocket, high profile individuals. One of the primary responsibilities of such board members is to donate large sums of money to the organization from their own pockets and to solicit large donations from their wealthy and powerful friends.

Recruiting such BOD members works for them in that the typical not-for-profit exits for specific social purposes, i.e. to raise funds for Boys & Girls Clubs, Boy and Girl Scouts, children's hospitals, find-a-cure organizations, etc. NAWCC is a niche organization that does not have such a "conscious grabbing" purpose, making it much more difficult to recruit board members in this way.

Another difference is that most not-for-profits that elect their BOD are local, not international as is the NAWCC, so they vote en mass at a group meeting.

I don't know how many niche organizations elect their BOD, so I don't know what the percent of voter turn out in similar organizations is. I will endeavor to find out.

As to my thoughts on increasing voter participation, I think the current NAWCC effort to permit on-line voting would help increase participation. Once I am on the Board, I will also inquire as to why the requirement that member number and state must be written on the envelope. I don't understand the need for that at all and it seems to be a bit of an impediment to the process. There may well be a very valid reason for this requirement, but I don't know what it is.

Robert Gary

33. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In a poll that was taken back in March regarding the 'who has read this thread' feature, one third of those responding considered this to be an unnecessary invasion of privacy. (https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?112109-Who-read-thread-poll%29) Many seemed to have strong opinions on this subject. I suspect that, if this feature were mandatory, we would lose many of those message board members.

34. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Peter:

I have felt this way for a long time. I am running for the BOD to represent the members, not to install an agenda of my own. I have no agenda except to improve the NAWCC for both current and future members. That is the reason for my asking the question that started this thread. What is it the members want?

We are an international group, and that means we must function as an international group, not as a U.S. group with a few "outside stragglers".

I know there will be many issues brought before the Board that the members will not have thought about, and it will be my responsibility as a board member to address such issues in the best interests of all members and the organization as a whole, not my personal whims.

Think of the implications for the live streaming of presentations and workshops given by local chapters. Each and every special interest and international chapter could have regular on-line meetings with guest speakers, etc., just like brick and mortar chapters do now. Think how many new members such viewing could draw!

Robert Gary

35. leeinv66

leeinv66 Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Male
    Industry Specialist
    Launceston Tasmania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

You are saying nothing here that I do not agree with Robert! The thought that I might be able to participate in an on-line chapter meeting is a very exciting possibility for me. However, I think you will have your work cut out getting other BOD members on board. It seems to me that the current excursion into on-line content is designed towards revenue raising, rather than increasing or retaining membership.

36. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Peter:

The first steps into on-line streaming has been expensive, so they are doing what must be done to cover the set-up costs for equipment, servers, subscriptions to streaming sources, etc. Hopefully, these will be mitigated soon. Think how corporations introduce something new. They start with a basic product until they see if the demand exists to cover costs and make a profit (and selling prices for the new products are usually high). When this requirement is met, they introduce new versions with more bells and whistles.

The concept of streaming live chapter meetings was just presented to the powers-that-be by me this past week. No one had progressed that far in their thinking yet. But, as I mentioned, it has a lot of technical hurdles to be dealt with, such as the chapters must have the necessary video equipment on their end, they must have the high speed internet access that this technology requires, plus the ability of National to provide them with the steaming sites,and probably issues I haven't even thought of.

Most of this should not require BOD action. It is the function of the staff to work on such issues. The Programs Committee holds this responsibility. The BOD comes into play when more financial resources are required.

The more members make use of the current on-line streaming, the more the BOD will see the desire and need for it.

Robert Gary

37. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Robert;

Amid all this stuff about our future BOD...you just made my day...streaming of on-line Chapter meetings would be a welcome innovation for those of us unable to attend our local NAWCC Chapters. Personally, for me, I have bum knees and am at this time using a walker. If I tried to use only a cane...a fall would be inevitable. Should a knee buckle at an inopportune moment I could fall and do more damage to myself than I would care for. Being part of a meeting via the Internet would and perhaps brighten the day(s) for NAWCC members unable to attend their local Chapter meetings. Perhaps even the posting of horologic items we may wish to buy or sell could be part of the future evolution of attending Chapter meetings.

Dan

38. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan:

Very interesting concept!

Robert Gary

39. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Robert and all, I fully support online voting and to the best of my knowledge Steve Humphries is investigating how this can be done in the upcoming 2015 election, even if in a limited way. The key components to a successful online system are that it must be secure, must be confidential (the voter's name cannot be associated with his/her actual vote), and must be easy to use. The separation of positive identification and the actual vote has been a significant hurdle.

That leads to why there is a requirement for writing your membership number and state or country of residence on the envelope when casting your paper ballot. Firstly, the ballot must be an original and not a photocopy. Second, there must not be any identification written on the ballot showing who was the voter so as to retain confidentiality. That means in order to positively identify that the ballot is valid, the envelope must be positively identifiable as being from a current member of NAWCC before it is opened thus the membership number and state or country of residence is required.

The counting process is performed by a BOD-appointed auditor and consists of separate steps not carried out by the same person or persons. First, the sealed envelope is checked for the membership number and cross-referenced to the NAWCC membership database to verify it is from a current member. If the number or state/country is missing from the envelope or the number and state/country do not match, the ballot is considered invalid. Next, the unopened envelopes are passed to a second step where they opened, the ballots removed and separated from the envelopes. Next, the valid ballots are tallied with no reference to who cast the ballot, maintaining full confidentiality of each member's vote.

40. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John:

Thank you for a very detailed explanation of the way ballots are currently processed.

Robert Gary

41. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #41 FDelGreco, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
    I for one do not believe that on-line voting will significantly increase voter turnout, if at all. I belong to the American Association of Woodturners that has a fully elected board by its members. (That association is growing as fast as we are shrinking.) A few years ago they instituted on-line voting in addition to a paper ballot. I spoke with the chairman of their board. He said that before on-line voting, they had a 15% voter turnout. After adding on-line voting, turnout was still 15%. About half and half. He conjectured that on-line voting was simply a convenience to those who had already decided to vote anyway.

I believe the problem is the candidates' biographies that are presented in the Bulletin. THEY STINK! I told the AAW chairman that I thought the AAW bios stink as well - they don't tell me anything useful - and he agreed with me. In my opinion, that makes it very difficult for voters to select candidates other than by name recognition. That is why no one votes.

I don't want to know if the candidate held an office at a chapter level, as those are easy to do. I don't want to know that he is considered a "nice guy." I don't care if he can or cannot fix a clock or watch. I don't care if he wrote an article for the Bulletin or made videos or taught classes on watch repair. What I want to know is specifically what his goals are for the organization and what specific skills he has acquired from his career that can convince me he can make those things happen. For example, if one of his goals is membership improvement, then he better have some marketing or market research skills, or perhaps some HR skills. If he wants to champion on-line education, then he better have a rudimentary understanding of IT and how learning happens. In any case, candidates need to have business management skills.

I would like the NEC to design a standard questionnaire that covers this stuff; the candidates' bios would be their answers to those questions.

Once we have great bios, then we need to figure out how to get members to read them. It has probably been ingrained in many members that they currently aren't worth reading.

Apologies for bluntness.

Frank

42. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Frank: Bluntness is what we need. I have yet to write up by bio, or platform, or whatever you want to call it. I have been reading past candidate submissions trying to formulate my own. What you say has a lot of merit, but other members may want more of what you don't. I will do my best to provide the honest info I think the members want, and need, to know.

Robert Gary

43. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thus, 65% have no use for it and/or find it of no relevance. Yet, it still remains.

Same with the Chevron Poll

Perhaps it might also be with the Add to User's Reputation.

Does anyone listen to what the members have to say?

44. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #44 Robert Gary, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    Dick:

In my opinion, the poll questions were too general to be used as a basis to remove the sidebar. The question should have been: "Do you think the sidebar should be removed?" After all, almost 24% (the largest group of any of the categories) say they use it everyday.

Opinions like "I find it annoying.", "I seldom use it.", and "It does not bother me, but I do not use it." are not indications that it these users want it removed.

Remember, the BOD does not directly over see this message board. This the responsibility of the MB moderators.

But, we are off topic. What do you want from a member of the BOD, and what do you want to see in the NAWCC in the future?

45. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One thing i mentioned before were clock classes put on by Chapters open to the public. It could likely be done, rental of the place to hold it in. It would attract people and maybe they would join. I am a hobbyist and i find the Suit case courses are too expensive for me.
    The clock course put on by Ch 111 is about 40 dollars per person.

46. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #46 Robert Gary, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    Kevin:

This is done by many local chapters, but it perhaps the Chapter Relations Committee can assist more chapters to put on classes other than the suitcase courses. I do know that new courses are being designed to answer the need for shorter (not 4 consecutive days) classes for the general public.

The possibility of on-line courses is also being studied.

47. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They are open to the public, the classes.

48. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Our chapter meetings are always open to the public, in that if a non-member shows up, he will be allowed in as a guest for the first few meetings he attends before he has to make up his mind to join. One of our members will sign him in and escort him and make sure he has a good idea of what we are all about, and answer any questions he has. Our meetings are usually over by noon, but we have the potential to use the facilities through the afternoon, and are experimenting with ways to make use of this with extra repair workshops, etc.
    We don't charge any extra for workshops or repair instruction for our members.

49. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kevin:

I believe your post was meant to be a question, excuse me if I am making an erroneous assumption. Yes, the classes are open to the public. In fact, we have classes such as "Introduction to Clock Collecting and Repair" (that may not be the actual title, but it is similar) that are aimed specifically at the public, non-members to introduce them to the NAWCC and the local chapter. Most of the students from these classes attend at least on chapter meeting following the course, and several have joined the NAWCC as a result.

50. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Harold:

This needs to be the norm, rather than the exception it seems to be now, especially the "One of our members will sign him in and escort him and make sure he has a good idea of what we are all about, and answer any questions he has." I have visited chapters where I walk in, put my money in the basket, walk around to each table, and yet not have one single member say a single word to me. It is as if I wasn't even there. Why would anyone want to join such an unfriendly, unwelcoming chapter?

This is the type of behavior, in my opinion, that the Chapter Relations Committee should be working to overcome.