What do you use in your ultrasonic?

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I have no use for home made, been there done that. Use one specially made to clean clock movements. I use Deox 007 made by Polychem.

Reactions: Arthur Cagle

T.Cu

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
Country
Region
Ronell's ammoniated...

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi,
Liquid black soap water and a drop of ammonia.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
if you search for ultrasonic solution recipes, there are many on here. Most would work fine.

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Try using the following search technique....

Using your favorite search engine (DuckDuckGo, Startpage, or ...shudder....Google), type whatever search term you wish (in this case "ultrasonic solution" or something similar) then a space then 'site:nawcc.org" without the quotes. It'll return hits jist on this site. It works much better than typical forum searches. Also, if you got no results, you may have inadvertently restricted your search to unrelated subforums or threads here. It's easy to make that mistake.

I jist did a search using the forum tool here for you and got a ton of hits. Here's a link to the results.....

Forum search engine results

Reactions: T.Cu

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
$180/gallon? I don't think so. Can that Deox-007 be found locally in some kind of retailer, or order only from Timesavers, etc?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Most of the commercial cleaners are mixed 7 to 1 with water. So the price per gallon of solution is quite a bit less ;)

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I'm going to try this I found on an old thread: I make my own solution using 4 ounces each of acetone, oleic acid, and a degreasing dish soap then 8 ounces ammonia and a gallon of water. It works quite well and is economical. I've also discovered that a bit more ammonia from time to time will extend it's life considerably. Ammonia must evaporate rapidly.
Later someone posted they use Murphies Oil Soap instead of Oleic acid. So that's what I'm using.
I'm just a poor man, those $36+outrageous shipping charges are too rich for my blood.

Reactions: Tim Fitzgerald

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
I ordered one pint of Deox-007 from Timesaversfor $9. They just notified me it would be over $17 in shipping. Canceled the order.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
My opion is in the long run, using a good clock cleaner pays off in many ways. I dont want ammonia or flamable substances in my ultrasonic.

Times

Aug 29, 2020
Country
Region
I use Formula 67 Zenith Watch and Clock Cleaning Solution for wrist / pocket watches projects.
I hope it will work on my antique French clock movement, but after reading "Practical Clock Repairing - Donald De Carle" (starting page 157), I understand that the "fluid method" of cleaning may not be the best for cleaning clocks brass back plates.

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
Hi times
Is that when he's talking about the brass tarnishing quickly? With the home made ammonia acetone oleic acid solutions this can be a problem.
It shouldn't happen near as much or at all with good commercial cleaners and good rinsing.

I think I'm using l&r 677 right now and #3 watch rinse in the waterless cleaning machine.

Times

Aug 29, 2020
Country
Region
Hi times
Is that when he's talking about the brass tarnishing quickly? With the home made ammonia acetone oleic acid solutions this can be a problem.
It shouldn't happen near as much or at all with good commercial cleaners and good rinsing.

I think I'm using l&r 677 right now and #3 watch rinse in the waterless cleaning machine.
Yes, that was his comment. Also he was talking about polishing the plates.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Ammonia brightens brass, and the effect will eventually be reversed by oxidation. No mystery. Don't blame the cleaner :)

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Right now I'm cleaning four tower clock motion works that are absolutely filthy with 100 years of grime. I'm using Super Clean, a biodegradable, non ammonia cleaner, first in a bucket to get off the majority of the junk, then in my ultrasonic. It works great. Here is a comparison of before and after:
motion works comparison.jpg

After I wire brush and paint the cast iron parts, I'll turn the rotating parts on my lathe to smooth and polish the bearing surfaces. Then the brass goes into DEOX - 007 for the final cleaning.

I still have yet to go the distribution plate that is as filthy. Brass bevel gears and a cast iron frame:
Distribution plate.jpg

Frank

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
Ammonia brightens brass, and the effect will eventually be reversed by oxidation. No mystery. Don't blame the cleaner :)
I dont think that was a mystery to anyone?

Yes it works, but Ammonia isn't the best brightener, and the way it brightens leaves brass more vulnerable to oxidation.
Commercial cleaners have better surfactants and brighteners to complement the ammonia or replace it to reduce that.

Reactions: Kevin W.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Right now I'm cleaning four tower clock motion works that are absolutely filthy with 100 years of grime. I'm using Super Clean, a biodegradable, non ammonia cleaner, first in a bucket to get off the majority of the junk, then in my ultrasonic. It works great. Here is a comparison of before and after:

After I wire brush and paint the cast iron parts, I'll turn the rotating parts on my lathe to smooth and polish the bearing surfaces. Then the brass goes into DEOX - 007 for the final cleaning.

I still have yet to go the distribution plate that is as filthy. Brass bevel gears and a cast iron frame:

Frank
Nothing wrong with that, Frank, it looks great! I've never had the opportunity to work on a tower clock. I'm envious :)

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
I'm envious :)
Not sure you be if you knew how many disposable gloves and rolls of paper towels I went through, and also how many times I had to scrub my hands. If I touched any part of them I couldn't touch anything else without changing gloves or washing my hands. I had to ultrasonic my tools afterward and clean the faucet handles. The sludge on the bottom of the pail and in the bottom of my ultrasonic was a quarter inch deep. Plus, I'm on a septic tank so the solutions couldn't go down the drain. Had to bottle them for later disposal.

Frank

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
:D I'm sure you'll be rewarded somehow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members