What do the numbers on the regulation sub-dial mean?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Isaac, Jun 30, 2020 at 2:15 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just curious what exactly the 10/20 marks on the sub-dials mean on some of my clocks. Is this minutes gained per hour, per day, per week? Or is it just some decoration? Never sure of the purpose of these sub-dials besides some convenience, since it seems like fine tuning takes place by adjusting the bob directly.

Any ideas? Attached is 2 of my clocks - a Peerless and a Winterhalder.

IMG_0994.jpg IMG_0995.jpg

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe the numbers just give reference points. An example: The clock loses time. You move the hand to the 20 and now it gains time. You move it back to 10, now it runs a tiny bit slow. You move up to 13, and bingo.

The fine regulation actually is done here. Moving that hand shortens or lengthens the suspension spring. The coarse regulation is done with the bob.

Uhralt

Isaac likes this.
  3. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Makes sense that the numbers are there for reference only, since the bobs are also adjustable (and therefore would throw off any measure that a number on the dial could represent).

However, it always seems like adjusting using these dials is extremely touchy and easy to overcompensate one way or the other if you're trying to get the clock to maintain great time (not to say it's impossible, but seems a lot more difficult than just adjusting the pendulum bob nut directly)

4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When this happens the suspension spring is often not sliding freely through the slot that changes its effective length. Maybe the slot isn't clean or the spring has some kinks preventing it from sliding easily.

Uhralt

5. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for that. I have two Junghans with the same sub dials but curiously they are both on the right side as opposed to the left from Isaac's. One of them is hard to adjust, just like Isaac describes, drives me nuts. I know the spring is good but I will definitely look at crud or tightness in the slot.
    Don