what determines pendulum type... rod length or bob size?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by bruce linde, Apr 20, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    just had an interesting exchange w/ an eBay seller who has a 'tall case pendulum' for sale... except that it's an 8.5" fusee pendulum.

i sent him a PM and suggested that he might have better luck selling his item if he listed it as what it was: a fusee pendulum. i pointed out that a 'tall case pendulum' would almost certainly be on the order of a meter long, and that the only reason i was even mentioning it was because i typically searched for both fusee pendulums AND tall case pendulums... as two different searches.

his response?

"It's not the length that makes it a tall case (wall clock) pendulum. It's the diameter of the pendulum."

i have never heard or read anything like this before. i have tall case pendulums with 3-8" bobs, and wall and shelf clocks with 1.5-9.5" bobs.

given everything we've discussed in multiple threads about rod length, bob weight and diameter, and center of mass... is there any validity to his claim?

p.s.: he also calls the suspension spring a 'feather' ... huh?

2. upstateny

upstateny Registered User

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    #2 upstateny, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Smike, the Brits sometimes refer to the suspension spring as a feather. As far as the bob goes, IMHO the guy is full of poo.

3. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    'feather' did sound like a uk thing to me... he may be a perfectly nice guy, but i can't think of a single justification for labeling his item as a 'tall case pendulum' (which it ain't) instead of as an 8.5" fusee pendulum (which it is).

i guess some people don't really want to sell their stuff... which might also explain why it's been listed for several months. :cool:

4. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    On a tall case with a one second beat, the pendulum rod
    would usually be on a leader. That would take about
    10 to 12 inches off the length.
    If it was a one piece pendulum, it would be faster
    if less than a meter.
    Tall case bobs are usually heavier for longer pendulums.
    Diameter is not always an indication of weight
    Tinker Dwight

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We do usually call the suspension a feather, but then we call the clock a longcase.

We still call it a longcase if it has a lantern clock with a verge escapement in it too but I agree the diameter of the bob is not a defining factor.

6. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

yes... but overall length w/ suspension spring (or 'feather') needs to be around a meter... and not 8.5".

as for bob diameter/weight... i think my tall case (and/or seconds clock) bobs range in weight from approx 1lb to 6.5 lbs... most have wood rods, but i do have a couple with metal... either round or flat bars.

7. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    I've not seen the sale but I suspect it is
    a 8.5 inch diameter bob he may be referring to.
    Tinker Dwight

8. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    nope... standard fusee pendulum and bob