What could this have been????

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by P.Hageman, Apr 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Interesting little item, face square is only 15 cm and has strike and alarm as well. It has been converted with an arch but original only a very small square dial. No signs of ever having had side-doors, nor pinnacles and backplate. Not ever has spikes and a hanging loop. The lantern clkock type movement is very nicely made with well cut wheels and the dial is signed D.Robinson London. It all looks quite early as far as I can see. Thee case has been made much later when the arch was attached to the dial. But what could this have been originally:???: Seems to small for a longcase movement, but does not look like a lantern as well:???:?

front.JPG movement.JPG name.JPG klein 2.jpg IMG_4334.JPG

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It could have been a hooded alarm originally, plenty of longcase clocks have round posts. It is the right size for a hooded alarm.

Gretton made a thirty hour with round posts. I'm not sure how useful that hand is if you are supposed to read through the aperture. I think it has been at least partially rebuilt too, but now you have it perhaps you can get a better look at the collets.

Small alarms are always sold at a premium, so whatever it is well done.

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just wonder where you find all these fascinating clocks!

Uhralt

4. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think Nick's suggestion of a hooded wall clock is the most likely answer and as he says the dial is the right sort of size but they can be even smaller. Single handed ones were made though the hand on this one looks a tad suspect. There is a Daniel Robinson listed in London, apprenticed 1681-circa 1710.

5. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

That sounds about right date wise, when Peter asked me about it before I could not find that one. I think there has been some rebuilding but even with that it is a good find.

6. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Nick , the collets are the early domed type consistent with the date I think this clock was made. I dont know what you mean by partially rebuild. After close examination I think dial and movement have not been altered. Except for the arch.The single hand is old but I think not original to this clock. Just as Jim also mentioned. I thought this clock was made late 17th century/ early 18th century so 1681 - 1710 fits (thanks Jim).

7. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The only one I could see was the alarm crownwheel, which isn't shallow dome, and I wasn't sure about the hammer stop, so I wondered what had been done to it. It is an excellent find and some alteration is to be expected.